First Grow Progress using HGCC seeds

This may not be related to my first HGCC seed grow, but it’s still a gorgeous plant. My bird of paradise (indoor) just began opening up a couple flowers. It has 9 flower pods this year!

7 Likes

I want this. What is it ?

2 Likes

Bird of Paradise. They are absolutely gorgeous.

2 Likes

Hello All!!! Sorry it’s been a while since my last post, but I’ve had to take time for some new work projects. Still gotta eat!! LOL.

First off, here’s a pic of the bird of paradise plant. It has 7/10 flowers opened (got as much as I could in the pic). In terms of scale, the tallest flower is about 6 feet tall.

Next, these are my next set of plants (sorry for the blurple lighting). White Widow, Purple Kush, GSC, 3 Jamaican. Trying a bit of LST on these…

These are white widow clones - about 6+ weeks into flower - expecting to harvest mid February. Tried various types/levels of LST on these to see how they would react.

This is the white widow mother plant sent to flower, a purple kush and a gelato. These are about 5 weeks into flowering - thinking end of February on these.

All-in-all I’m pretty happy with the results I’m seeing. Lots of bud formation and they’re quite dense. What is interesting though is the size of these plants. None of the plants are over 24" from stem to top tip. Also, the leaves are really small in comparison to previous grows. Normally I can easily keep up with leaf trimming, but I’ve never experienced this. The leaves are not only small, but very plentiful! I’ve been trimming to keep airflow and light on the plants, but that’s about it. Will be posting more pics before the harvest.

3 Likes

Really love your documentation and your plants. I’m pretty sure I’ve asked this before, but today is a new day. I’m wondering what the tubing is being used for. Oxygen? Are you irrigating them?

1 Like

Hey @kmac03 - thanks for the kind words!
The tubing is used for automated watering. Based on how far along the plants are, I can get away for as little as 4 days and as much as 2 weeks without worrying. My system is almost fully automated - adding another watering system that will deliver premixed nutes on a schedule.

I started a “gadgets” topic and have a link to the watering system:

2 Likes

Sounds like I’m part of an episode of Fifty First Dates or whatever it’s called. I’m pretty sure I’ve had this conversation before. Well, at least my memory is resurfacing. :crazy_face:

PS: Thank you for the link. It’s helpful.

1 Like

Well harvest time is here for the next set of plants. Only doing one a day, more or less. Chopped down the smallest plant and trimmed it up today. Here are some pics:

These are all the plants coming down over the next 2 weeks:

White widow harvested today (128 grams wet) - smallest plant (the one to the left of the blue container):

1 Like

From the original/first grow, the purple kush turned out to be some of the tastiest bud I’ve had in a long time. Pic of the buds:

3 Likes

Today’s plant netted 96 grams wet - white widow. This plant and the previous one were barely 16" tall. Also, got approximately 43 grams (wet) of sugar leaves.

3 Likes

Music enters my brain looking at these. Gorgeous stuff! :star_struck:

Thank you!! Getting ready to chop the next one. White widow that is my first attempt as some LST. Was able to get LST style growth (see last two pics) and it definitely made a difference! Compared to previous grows but comparable strains, this yielded at least 1/3 more. Will know once everything dries and cures, but I’m using a 60% loss in weight value, which should net me a half pound from 4 white widow clones (still have one more to cut down tomorrow).
Very happy with how it turned out - very dense!

186 grams wet buds and 93 grams sugar leaves/trimmings:

2 Likes

Why did it never occur to me to use alligator clips and string??!!! Thank you for posting this.

2 Likes

Safety Pins on fabric pots work well too :grinning:

3 Likes

I would really like to know why my skills just blank out at simplicity. I wonder if this is a form of dyslexia? Things to ponder. Thank you for sharing.

Just tie the other end to the hole in the safety pin and leave enough for leverage?

1 Like

And last of 4 white widow plants for this week topped out at 166 grams wet buds and 60 grams wet shake. Three more plants due end of month!

So, as a final total, wet weight:
Shake - 196 grams
Buds - 576 grams

Buds drying nicely…

And, just to give perspective, the first two plants were in 1 gallon fabric pots and the last two were in 2 gallon pots. I was aware that the size of the pot has a definite effect, but not this large. I’m doing some very coarse experiments trying to determine the effect size of pot has on yield. So far - and this includes a few prior grows - I’m seeing about a 50% increase when going to a 2 gallon pot. I have a set of 1/2/3 gallon pots I just put to flower with 4 different strains. The physical differences in the size of the plants is astounding. I’ll post pics later this weekend, as well as some notes on what I’m seeing/finding with these grows.

Update on weights
After drying, ready for curing, the weights came out to:

• Shake/trim - 61 grams
  • Top buds - 79 grams
  • Popcorn buds - 44 grams

Quite happy with the results! Tried some of the shake and a “test bud” - already has a nice kick and you can tell what the taste will be. MMM MMM GOOD!!!

Still have the mother plant of the white widow clones, a gelato and a purple kush that will be ready end of the month.

3 Likes

Harvested the last white widow plant - it was the mother plant for the previous plants.
Wet weight:

• Shake - 52 grams
  • Buds - 135 grams

1 Like

Nice trim job and really nice harvest.

1 Like

Good job @Bill looks like a good harvest

1 Like

Just harvested a small purple kush x white russian plant:

3 Likes