Gadgets for Growing

We’ve all used various “gadgets” in our grows - whether purchased or “created” out of necessity. This topic is for all of us who pride ourselves in our ingenuity - or just know how to use something properly - to post those ideas for all to see. Here are my first few:

A similar “LST training” item has been mentioned in other posts, but it seemed a bit pricey to me, so I went in search of and found the following (it’s actually for tomato plants):

Some actual pics:

Also, in the automation department, a nice little watering system you can program just in case you need to leave the girls alone for a few days:

7 Likes

Gadgets are both awesome and irritating, depending on if they work. Having said that, I LOVE gadgets. Been looking at various plant clip/benders/spreaders etc for training, how do you like those?

3 Likes

I definitely agree! So far, these little clips are doing the job. I have some others coming as well to see if they are any better. Only had these clips for a few days, but they are doing the job nicely. Also, unlike other clips, these can be used to keep branches straight as well. I’ll post more info as it becomes available. What’s nice about these particular clips is their size - they’re not overly tight and also have room for growth of the branches.

Here’s the other clips I have coming (they’re actually made using 3D printing):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J9P1T9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Ugh. I shouldn’t have wandered here. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Regarding the white training clips, they work well, but I needed to modify them slightly. Had to do some trimming of excess plastic (the “tips” coming off each side) as in some cases the sharp edge would cut into the stem. By modifying them, I was able to get a lot more diverse use from them. Also, at the price (less than 10 cents each) it’s not as prohibitive in terms of modifying the item. Will post pics later…

4 Likes

By modify, do you mean you had to cut them down a bit?

I’m thinking of trying the red ones.

2 Likes

I will add my latest gadget here. A home made humidifier. It is already posted elsewhere but is more fitting in this new category. It is working real good so far the only hiccup is the controller. I decided to go with an Inkbird since the brand is so highly recommended. Big mistake so far. Days worth of reserch and we are still having to control it manually. Just my opinion but someone needs to be half way to there computer engineering degree to understand the instructions.

3 Likes

Simply a barrel with a small pond water pump mounted inside behind a wall made of evaporator filter media with a fan blowing through it.

3 Likes

As you can see it raises humidity significantly. Humidity going in was in low 30s.

and the fan has a pretty good output. Plants went from a one week stall on growing to blowing up with new growth overnight. I think it could be scaled down to 5 gallon size easily depending on needs.

4 Likes

I still say you need a copyright, but I love and honor what you are doing for the world. For you to put this all together just blows my mind, it’s like writing music. :grin: :v:t2:

2 Likes

Love it. Am looking at something similar, in 5 gallon size. They make the ultrasonic heads you can put in a water source, if you added it to your setup it would increase it efficiency TREMENDOUSLY. https://thehouseofhydro.com/

The inkbird controllers are a huge pain in the but to get set up but once you do they work amazingly. How big is your grow and how much air movement do you have in it, that affects the controllers as well as the placement of the sensors. You can also recalibrate them to make sure they are accurate.

2 Likes

I would try integrating this

Go to the website, support, contact them and ask if you can bypass speed control and just have On/Off
3 Likes

I looked at the ultrasonic ones and the problem is everyone who seemed credible suggested buying several becuse of there failure rate. The efficiency is off the chart though so I was actually considering them. My growroom is 600 sq ft. I am using a 1200 cfm 10 in AC infinity through wall exaust fan and 3 passive 3 in intakes. On colder days 50 deg or lower this keeps temps in proper range. However outside humidity runs around 30% or less. I have an AC system installed but want to avoid that extra cost as long as I can.

1 Like

I have an AC infinity controler on my exhaust fan and it was easy enough to figure out. Already ordered a wilhigh for the humidifier though. I have 3 of there temp controllers and they work good.

1 Like

@Rye checked out that website. Will probably order a single head mister to put in my system. For the price of a single head the extra efficiency would be worth it. And if it goes out the rest of my system will still keep working. Thanks

1 Like

My issue with diy is finding good parts, no matter the project it’s hard to find quality stuff anymore. I am in the process of building a new light fixture and I cant hardly find and real solid copper wire, almost all of it is CCA strands advertised as solid copper. Getting actual 1030 aluminum was a 2 week project that involved calling 6 places and having detailed conversations with dumb people.

2 Likes

This isn’t specifically a “gadget”, but still fits in this category in a more general sense.
Over the past year or so, I switched from using plain tap water to purchased gallons of “purified” water. That got to be expensive, so I was looking for something simple and efficient. Started using the refrigerator filtered water, but that was way too slow. So, I purchased an in-line RV water filter, attached it to a hose with a cut-off valve, and fill those empty, previously purchased gallon water jugs in minutes - and for under $25 for hundreds of gallons of water. These use a charcoal filter as the primary filtration, but also has other stages to eliminate nearly all the crap in the water. Been doing this for about 3 months now and the results are GREAT!!! Plants love it - and so does my wallet!! Here’s a link to the item:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7ML4LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

That’s a great idea. I’ve been running mine thru backpacking filters but the cost is still too high. Thanks

1 Like

I’m always looking for ways to cut costs and increase yield/quality at the same time. It’s funny how common items can serve other purposes if a bit of imagination is used!

1 Like

Grainger is a good supply house. Sell quality parts but you do pay extra for them. Fastenal is another option. Majority American made and good quality.

1 Like