Companion plants for indoor organic grows

Does anyone know what the best companion plants are for an indoor grow? I am already planning on planting some clover in my pots to help keep the soil healthy but I am at a loss for what other plants will do well indoor under the lights at a perpetual 18/6 lighting schedule for my autos.

I am curious as to what other companion plant varieties will do well in the same pot with the plant, or even their own pot inside the grow room.

I know there are plenty of plants to assist outdoors and wonder if some of those same plants, like clover, would thrive in an indoor setting as well and help prevent pests and increase yields.

So far I am contemplating basil, mint, garlic, and lemon balm but have found little if anything on growing them in a tent with cannabis under 18/6.

2 Likes

Hi MDBuds! Welcome to HCC!

In my personal testing experience:

Garlic is no, I just tried it, the canna roots allowed it to create a nice green stem, then it choked it out and popped out a seed bulb nice and neat like.

I’ve used Holy Basil with great success, but don’t go crazy or there will be a food competition. Mint and the like will work, as will turmeric, ginger, marshmallow.

Spilanthes is my favorite. It’s a crawler, but I love it. You can see more here, if you like. I’m testing all the time.

4 Likes

Thank you. I really appreciate it. This is my first indoor grow with autos.

3 Likes

We cannot wait to see your journey! I agree turmeric and Mint are great but I’ve seen many gardeners use Spilanthes! - Kronic

1 Like

This is very useful and very interesting! A late Welcome To HCC as well! - Organi

1 Like

Alright. I finally sourced my companion plants for this auto grow. English lavender for pest and odor control, mint for pest and odor control, sweet basil to assist with resin and terpine production, pest, and odor control, and german chamomile to boost resin and terpine production as well as assist with pest control. All of which can handle lots of light so I’m hoping they can handle the 20/4 lighting schedule.

I couldn’t find any native clover seed anywhere but online at pretty outrageous prices so I guess I’ll have to try that next grow.

Anyway, I’ll update again once I have everything potted and sprouted and keep a journal of my companion plant experiments here. Happy growing. :v::metal::call_me_hand:

1 Like

German chamomile and mint are sprouting and are fairing well under the 20/4 lighting schedule. I’ll update again in a week or two once my basil sprouts and I pot it with the buds. Have my lavender in the fridge and will seed that next week as it takes 3 weeks in cold so it can germinate from seed. Happy growing. :v::metal::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Thanks for spreading the knowledge guys!

1 Like