Am I growing Autos or Fotos?

Can’t complain. Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

@NorthstarOG Welcome, we all need our dreams.

@SlingShot As long as you are putting the Plants in buckets You can “Golden Tarp” them. An easy way would be to take them into the shed early, then after dark put them back outside. This would induce early flower and you could harvest sooner before the bad weather comes.
I would be interested to see if there is a difference in flavor of the indoor v outdoor.

Here they are now. Just finished some bottom cleaning. They are 74 days old.

A late bloomer for a photo but I kept them in veg longer than most because I though they were Autos. Thus the title of this thread. LOL

7 Likes

Amazing what a couple weeks extra of veg can do for your output. Them’s some nice lookin’ Banners! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I have 4 or 5 lower branches who don’t seem like there ever going to see the light. Their colas have formed under the net. I was trying to get the light to them but there is too much going on above to make that happen.
Having said that, would these snippets be good candidates for clones?
Never messed with them before. Don’t know the first thing about them. Is it worth the effort?

6 Likes

@SlingShot yeah the lower cuttings are best for clones. Even in flower. You’ll just get a monster cropped plant from the clone after it roots and reveges.

3 Likes

You can see from above I’m in mid-flower. The bud -sites are all showing and the colas are turning silver.
I am a reluctant pruner. There, I’ve said it.
It just seems so counter intuitive to cut something off that is green, thick and healthy. In some ways, it seems almost mean. So I do a lot of bending, twisting and tucking to try and get light penetration to those shady areas.
I know I’m weird. I have mixed feelings come harvest. Excited to bring in the crop but sad to cut them down.
Maybe I’m becoming a pot-atarian.
Okay Slingshot, sober up. Get to your question.

What is the optimum foilage as i go further into flower? The way I see it, those big fan leaves are delivering the goodies to the bud -sites. Photosynthesis. Buds don’t look like they are optimally designed to do that job. But those leaves got to chow down too and they are competing with the buds.
What is the balance? I see some growers that looked like they raped the plant before she even flowered and others that have taken the whole bush to harvest.
I’m interested in knowing how the more seasoned growers see it.

5 Likes

@SlingShot there are many methodologies to this, but I personally tend to lean more toward your thoughts on the matter.

I personally have better harvests when I leave more leaves on for photosynthesis and only prune what is blocking light to bud sites. Other than that and cleaning up under the colas for air flow I pretty much let them go al-fresco. In the end it’s all about balance though. As long as you maintain a decent solar canopy and feed on pruning days the plants will usually do fine either way.

I also prefer to leave them a little bushy too because I love watching the senescence in real time. There’s something so satisfying about watching the flowers mature and the leaves fade as the plant reaches the end of its life cycle. It’s bittersweet really. You spend so much time caring for and loving this plant and watch it fade beautifully into its final days. I feel kind of sad myself when I cut them down after harvest. Like the sad feeling you get when you finish a good book or show but you want more.

So I just go plant some more and watch some more of my babies grow up. Lol

7 Likes

Top recovers fast, fim 3x longer. at least in my experience. I got 5 tops out of my last fim but took forever to heal.

It hurts me to chop lush parts off but its what’s best for her.

Leave as many leaves as possible and cut all the lower shoots that are not up to half the size of the plant. That’s what I would do… lollipop her if you want the best buds. But do it by end of first week of flower. I do a little at a time till she takes the shape I want.

I’m on the home stretch so I won’t be doing to much more before harvest.
Seeing purple in the fan leaves and a lot of foxtail.
Darodguy brought up a point. The taller stalks are maturing earlier than the lower ones, as one might expect. He is taking about harvesting from the top down, selecting the more mature buds first and allowing the smaller ones to continue to mature over the following days.
Never did that but makes sense.
Especially with this crop because I have a secondary canopy right above the net. I kept some of the popcorn buds, hoping that they still might sprout up if I piped light down to them. This would have been the time I used to make the decision whether to keep it lob.
I think I keep them and see if they sprout up after I cut all the tall stuff.
I guess the only downside would be the energy they take that could have gone into the the main stalks.

3 Likes

Yep getting close. Looks great! My only problem with staggered harvests is the next set vegging will be ready to go. Plus I use the same tent I flowered in to dry in also. If you got the room and time might as well give it a try. I have so much stuff I want to grow I need to get it out.

1 Like

I’m not sure. Was studying the buds, both tall and short. They both are all foxed and getting shinny with terpenes. The difference is size. The ones by the net are quarter size.
I figure I’m 10 days out. Would like to bring them in on the 12 th since I have surgery on the 13th.
It’s my right rotator cuff. Not sure how well I can harvest a crop with my right arm in a sling. Lol
Actually, I’m really going to have to push for the 12th. I have no one that here to harvest.

1 Like

@SlingShot you can always go old-school and just cut and hang the entire plant. Should he possible with one arm so you can still maximize your harvest. You can worry about the trim and cure later. Lol

1 Like

@SlingShot i would do as @MDBuds was saying take hole plant

Yeah, probably will. Not a good time to conduct experiments.

@SlingShot I hear you man. Last Thursday I went in for a simple colonoscopy. Fortunately I just transplanted 2 seedlings a few days earlier now in tent and have one under the dome still (other one did die :cry:). Well, they let me out of hospital yesterday after they ruptured my colon and emergency surgery performed. Since I was always told I was going home “tomorrow”, I didn’t worry too much. My wife doesn’t partake and knows nothing of how to care for my plants, but I did get her to mist the seedling and water the 2 in in the tent. Today have to struggle to transplant that last seedling as it’s getting close to the light at the top of the dome, and is probably pretty root bound by now too!
Will take pics and update my thread later today when I get around to it.
At least you will have 1 arm to use. Ya, I have two, but can’t stretch, push, or lift anything heavier than a milk jug. Don’t know what the neighbours thot of me getting my wife to rake up about 100lbs of pine needles and dragging the bin around while I sat back and watched! Wait until they see me make her mow the lawn for the next few weeks! I can be the neighbourhood asshole husband in their minds, bunch of nimby’ers.
Hopefully by the time your plants dry, your shoulder will let you trim. Or do a wet trim when you chop, less work when you are in recovery!

My wife said she thought she could handle the harvesting as long as I direct her.
I’ll have her watch dive YouTube. I prefer to hang wet and I will just hang in the tent.
I don’t want to pull early. I really want to fatten these gals up.

3 Likes

Don’t know if they will be ready for harvest by next Tuesday. You can see that I leave a lot of foliage on. Its pretty clean below the net but I like to give them a chance to consume light, all the way to the end.

This is my first photo that I will be taking to harvest.

5 Likes

No amber but definitely milky. Might make it to 4/20.

6 Likes