Wall mount air intake fan?

I am not mechanically inclined enough to think outside of the box like that. That’s pretty MacGuyver of you. I’m impressed. :fire: Are you an engineer?

Lol im electrician mechanic or was retired now thanks

2 Likes

I knew you had to be somewhere in there. :v:

1 Like

@Daddy1971 I love Jerry rigging things. I’m all about DIY and saving some money. Almost all of my grows up until this years everything I used was DIY or repurposed junk except the bulbs. :joy:

2 Likes

Great, I send you my broken fan. Can you fix it?

PS: I’m kidding, it’s all one piece and not at all worth it, otherwise, I would have fixed it already.

That was my job underground in coal mine kept everything running

2 Likes

You might be able put little drop oil in the bearing

1 Like

It’s rubbing together, which is the problem. It would have to be sanded down, however, it doesn’t separate from the mount and it’s just not even worth it. I can wait it out. This will also keep me from further planting. I have to treat myself like a child sometimes.

@kmac03 :cry::sleepy::cry::thinking::thinking::kissing_smiling_eyes: you could hang a small desktop fan in front of the opening and just pin the opening back. Unless you are using a filter on it.

1 Like

I have some fans from computers. What can I use as a power supply?

1 Like

@Mrb53004 Are they 120 V? It should say in real small print on back of fans. How many do you have and will they all turn on and off at same time? Will they stay on permanent or need a controller? Do they already have plugs or need wiring? If you show picture it would help.

1 Like

@Jared, you aren’t helping me be disciplined. :rofl: :smile:

1 Like

@Mrb53004 pc fans run on 12 volts dc. You can rig up a 12 volt wall adapter for a phone charger to run one pretty simple. You can even use a 24 volt adapter and put some resistors in to bring it down to 12 before it reaches the fan if you want to run anything else on the circuit. The possibilities are only limited by imagination… and, of course, science. :joy:

1 Like

@kmac03 you can sand and file the housing instead since those fans you got have integrated bearings and they are machine balanced. The reason those fans start making noise is because they start rubbing on the housing long before the bearings go out.

2 Likes

Yes. Aren’t you the one who directed me? It’s how I figured out it was rubbing. Thank you for that, by the way. I was probably rude and forgot to acknowledge your efforts, but I get lost in here sometimes.

I’m confident in my abilities, but the energy exchange isn’t worth it. If you want it and think you can salvage it, it’s all yours. Otherwise, I’ll just have to lug it around until I figure out how to repurpose it.

1 Like

@kmac03 I don’t recall. I think it may have been someone else assisting you the first time and I just read the thread. Either way I’ve used one of those fans before and sanding the inside of the housing worked pretty well.

1 Like

Alright. If you or anyone else has need, I have to wait to ship for a bit. It may sound silly, but I don’t have the tools for all that taking apart, using a vise (don’t have) then power sander that would fit (which i don’t have) and I have Parkinson’s hands, not to mention, also a lack of patience. If I had a whole garage, it would be a different story, but I have limited space and I was going to do something else with it anyway as I was going to transform the entire room.

I sent you the video on R&R the fan. I also sent a link showing you could repurchase the fan for $80. I also sent somewhere an Ebay link for a 6"vivo kit with filter I negotiated for $95 pls tax $107/8

@Jared @MDBuds
I do not want to start playing with resistors / etc. Just as simple as possible. I want to run 3/4/5 of these little fans. I do have power supplies from Pc’s (200/250/300w).
Here are 3 fans I have already removed / 3 wire / 4 wire - I have no problem removing the pin connectors and just using exposed wire. I may have a phone charger here or there and I do have some surge bars that I can add usb

Nice to be in the computer business

1 Like

@Mrb53004 if you’re going to run all of those fans on the circuit you can run them together in parallel as long as you have enough amperage for all the fans. I’d use a small power source though just to be safe.