Tiny little flies

So I travel a lot and have someone watch my plants when I’m away. He tells me today there’s tons of little flies on my gelato plants. Any recommendations to get rid of them so I can relay the message to my friend? Thanks in advance. I hope my plants survive. I won’t be home for a month :disappointed:

3 Likes

Diatomaceous earth and spinosad (I used captain jacks dead bugs), got rid of fungus gnats and thrips for me. Just applied to top of the soil, flies die off in a 3-5 days. Also you can use yellow sticky traps to see how many are still flying/if new flies are being born. Hope you can get rid of them!

5 Likes

I use BTI and yellow sticky trap set at the soil surface. A fan also helps as they are poor fliers.

So these are added to nute water 24 hrs prior to feeding to inoculate the water with the bacteria.
This will stop the larvae from maturing and the traps will take care of the adults.
I use it on all new soil as a precaution and every couple of weeks thereafter.
It takes about two weeks to decimate them completely. Just have to keep at it.

Oh. I use a small filter to steep them into the water. The carrier for the bacteria is dried corn. It’s easier to remove a steeping filter than clean up all of the corn bits.

7 Likes

@Zomballz I use Diatomaceous Earth to rid of any gnats and all future ones!

7 Likes

@Kronic Diatomaceous earth works great. Only thing I would add is to make sure if you have pets or kids to get the food grade diatomaceous earth. It won’t hurt their lungs as bad as the other styles if they accidentally breath it in and they can ingest it without harm.

6 Likes

What’s the best way to apply it?

3 Likes

@moab1179 they have duster tools with a nozzle that are very effective.

Otherwise I would use a water bottle with holes in the cap and give everything a dusting that way. Just a little bit on the leaves top and bottom and a lot on the top soil. Use it kind of like you would baby powder. An old baby powder bottle would work pretty well too. Happy growing. :v::call_me_hand::metal:

3 Likes

Do I need to add any water?

2 Likes

@moab1179 no you apply it dry and have to reapply after watering.

3 Likes

How do you apply the D.E. Please? I’m so bummed…I was so excited to see little girls just breaking the soil…only to also see a bunch of small black flies. AGH!!!

2 Likes

There are several methods for applying DE. Gloved hand, duster, squeeze bottle. Be generous with it, especially around the soil where most larvae live. Make sure and use food grade DE, it just easier and safer and only a few dollars more.

3 Likes

LOL…I was just going to ask what grade to use. I have pool grade on hand. Thank you for the information!

1 Like

The reason I suggest food grade, is because if you inhale it, or get in on your skin, it’s not near as harmful. Really inhalation is the real danger, it just drys your skin out. I buy it by the 25lb bags for my vegetable garden, and use the dustmizer to apply it out side.

3 Likes

@Kris Yea I literally just glove up with my plants outside and throw a shitload on the top soil — DO NOT BREATHE IT IN! Even food grade is still no bueno for the lungs. So don’t just inhale all the fumes XD and if you don’t buy food grade you really seriously need a respirator at all times and I never recommend non food grade for cannabis. As if any gets on your bud you really can’t do shit with that bud. So always food grade!

3 Likes

LOL…love those precise measurements, a “shitload” :rofl: …but it does help me to understand that it can stand more then a light dusting. I did order food grade and it will be delivered tomorrow…yeah! Since mine are little girls I’ll be careful with the sprouts. Thanks again!

1 Like

@Kris hahaha xD yea I just make sure I have enough so when I water it travels down for the eggs and larvae to die as well as maintain some on top soil.

1 Like

How often to you apply? Is this an ongoing thing normally as a precaution? or just when you see the flies

1 Like

You can also use the fly strips and keep them up all the time they will go right to them

3 Likes

Great idea, thank you!

1 Like

I hope my idea of a ‘shitload’ isn’t too much of a shitload!! LOL

2 Likes