Thinking about Growing?

@Ed1968
As you saw from Bryant, how big is your spot? Before you being anything, it is a good idea to invision where this will be done. If you have a spare closet, how big is it and can you get power to it, can you heat it, cool it, vent it (venting is important - do you need stealth?).
Garage - another place to consider growing. Tent - an option and outdoors
SPACE - if you grow auto flower plants, they sill need at least 3-4 ft height to grow,add a light on top of that and you can easily see why I recommend a TALL TENT. If you grow photo period plants, you desire as tall as possible. Plants - it is a mathematical formula…x amount of plants per sq ft of space and x amount of light per sq ft. If you go the space and not the light…well, makes it harder. If you go the light and not the space, raising the light or lowering the power can compensate
Auto - the flower no matter how much light you give and average seed to crop is 10 weeks. Small return…can be less than an oz to 4/5/6 oz per plant (strain, grow methods)
Photo - they veg for as long as you keep the lights on ;longer than 14 hrs a day. When you are happy with size, then you FLIP - lower the lights to only 12 hrs on/off. Then you have 5-8/9 weeks of flowering. Returns are much higher. Take a look at @dmtscravey setup - just 2 containers in a closet, 1 plant in each yet it appears he is well on his way to almost a lb of return…not bad!
Cost - tents run anywhere from $125-200, add an exhaust fan $80-150, a good light or even a couple -$ figure at least $200 for 1 good light. There are good ones a little cheaper but this is a good average to grow a decent plant or 2 or even 4. Containers, soil or hydro, nutrients, water (usually a filtered or RO type water…25 a gal from a water store) and some equipment (ph meter, tds meter - <$25 for a cheap set).
Soil - organic, homemade / store-bought. You can start off at $40 for enough soil for 4 pots, 5 gal each. Living soil - (now you do not need nutrients, just water. Figure $50. Electric - depends on your provider but easily figure your bill to go up 50%. This is just food for thought. The i’s can be dotted and t’s crossed as you make decisions. There is DWC hydro, instead of soil and then you need to set up a watering system. Each method has its own methodology.
So see if any of this can help you decide which direction to go. Follow along with forum members as they show, discuss and share knowledge. You can learn from those who are doing it. Just imitate

8 Likes

I’m so appreciative of your time and experience that you’re giving me ! Thank you so much for all the in site ! Got a lot to think on before I start now !

4 Likes

Excellent write up @Mrb53004. A great easy 1 paragraph summary. A few things to consider/research @Ed1968.

Money- how much you put in total vs how much you save. This is gonna be dependent on your local market prices, but it takes a few grows to recoup your initial investment. DIY can save a TON of money, and theres plenty of help for those that THINK they cant.

Time- growing is an investment of your time more so than money, are you ready to invest that time? And not just time spent doing things for/with the plants, but time spent researching/thinking/worrying and failing.

It’s a journey without a destination only lots of stops along the road and a multitude of paths.

8 Likes

We may begin to grow for necessity, desire, saving $$, etc., but it becomes / grows in to a passion. I do not know anyone who has NOT DEVELOPED a PASSION no matter what reason they began. When we grow, we nurture, care for, tend to, and nourish something that is living and it gives life back to us…much like being a parent. We care for our plants, their well being, their growth. We learn their needs and how to listen to them. We respond accordingly…that is what happens when LOVE goes in to the mix

8 Likes

@Ed1968 Happy New Year

:v: really don’t have to get Fancy 35298 36369

2 Likes

bare minimum setups can be cheap and effective! Great writeup on this subject :smiley:

3 Likes

1 Like

I agree with Kronic I have a pretty much barebones invested grow space and it’s doing pretty well definitely has paid itself off multiple times already in just three Harvest. At local dispensary prices my last Harvest would have cashed out at $6,240 which is craziness to think they’re charging that much, $60 an 1/8.

3 Likes

Well, they certainly make a person feel some kind of way, huh? They are spectacular! :fireworks::v:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Are those cups of water sitting out for future watering?

3 Likes

I believe he said somewhere that he does that for the humidity to keep the RH up.

2 Likes

@Adcrag @dmtscravey RH stays perfect with the cups

2 Likes

No gnat or mold issues??

2 Likes

@Adcrag at first with organic soil your soil will Nat if you over water, until you use your fungi or River Bed Sand at two weeks to flowering

Nine Weeks

4 Likes

Looking good @DollarBill

2 Likes

@dmtscravey Sister Puff :smile:

GIF_20210106_210107 https://open.spotify.com/track/5pQEExRHWM9XnghO6bhdLJ?si=0XgBWi0SQsGdAKw0Wji5UA

2 Likes

Do you think low stress manipulation is more effective than fimming or that type of pruning? Can you do both ? Is that to get a more bushy plant opposed to lengthy ?

1 Like

Reminds me of the movie signs with Mel gibson haha. All the cups of water :nerd_face:

2 Likes

These two plants are the same age same strain. The one on the left was topped, fimmed and and LST One on the right was just fimmed and LST. This picture was taken today they got a good feeding yesterday and have really stood up there probably grew 3"

last night

5 Likes