Store bought potting soil

Can store bought potting soil chemically burn plants? I have changed my lights, position of my lights, vents, food. And even feeding cycle and the seeds that I spent a lot of money on are growing horrible and looked chemically burnt. I keep having this issue and damn if I know wtf is going on. #distressedinseattle

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Empress! From what I understand, yes it could burn your plants early on if it is too nutrient heavy. If it is later in your grow maybe try using something to flush your plants?

If you give some more info on the lights/nutrients schedule/seed genetics and post some pics of the plants there are a number of people on here who might be able to help diagnose the problem. Happy growing!

2 Likes

Yes they’re babies. Would it make a difference if I got all organic and natural instead of regular potting soil? I had read that miracle gro potting soil was good for the plants but I keep having this issue. Also any idea how to correct it now? Would pics help? Thank you for responding

2 Likes

I am using fox farms food. Miracle gro potting soil. The strain is OG Kush autos. I planted them Oct 3. I am using 3x3x6 grow tent with two 1200w led lamps approx three ft above the plants

2 Likes

4 Likes

I can only post one Pic since I’m new. That’s the best one of all of them together

3 Likes

It could be the miracle grow soil combined with feeding the fox farms, if there are already a bunch of nutrients in the soil then adding more might be burning, maybe try flushing with Ph’d water between 6-7 for a couple days then try cutting the nutrient feeding maybe to half and see how they like it?

(I use foxfarms ocean forest soil and then use their nutrients as well and my plants seem happy other than needing cal-mag added sometimes, but I have burned using foxfarms so maybe feed a bit lighter)

6 Likes

Miracle grow is pretty hot soil. Flush them well. And when you feed use 1/2 the nutes it calls for.
Also make sure of your soil and feed PH, you should also PH your runoff if possible.

5 Likes

So you’re saying even with store bought soil I need to check ph? I am not a very experienced grower so I’m asking not arguing lol. And if I flush them now would that hurt them?

2 Likes

One of the issues with Miracle Grow is they add too much Nitrogen so the result is lush green growth in veg stage but it is TOO MUCH for the little ones. Start them in something very neutral, like peat, cocoa (check that ph), vermiculite, perlite. I start them in Peat pods and they can go 2 weeks or more with nothing but water.no nutrients.
Flushing i if you are flushing with RO or distilled water, watch your ppms. That will tell you if you have flushed the excess salts. Check the ph in, ph out and the ppms for the soil pre and after the flush. The plants should survive unless they are already stressed and too young. Does not mean they will die but it can affect them / slow you dow

4 Likes

I have always used miracle gro dirt with no problems except when I fed with fox farms Tiger Bloom. I would also flush with water ASAP. Welcome to the forum @empress

3 Likes

@Empress always PH. Always, everything, everytime, always. You can get cheap PH strips at walmart or local pet store to start. A good PH pen is NOT cheap. The dropper reagents only work with clear water, so the strips are your best bet to start with.

PH EVERYTHING to the same if possible and avoid any large swings. 6.0-7.0 is acceptable for soil.

2 Likes

I happen to have 2 analytical surver electrodes (I used to have a BlueLab meter)
https://www.amazon.com/Analytical-Electrode-Connector-Aquarium-Controller/dp/B07QPVZ2YQ
Will give to anyone who needs / desires. Would appreciate mailing cost

2 Likes

I have never tested or messed around with ph of anything in my grow. is this something I can use to do that? I really know nothing about testing ph.

3 Likes

not really, you need something like a bluelab meter - that is an expensive top of the line device for ph, ec, tds
you can use a simple 12-15dollar meter from amazon. If you are growing in dirt, then try this kit:

it is from Harris seed company (veggies). Go to the web site first and get the $5 off coupon AND use “HONEY” for free ship - 2 day service free!
it is a great soil testing kit
3 Likes

Awesome I will do that. Thanks for the knowledge.

3 Likes

Most of the miracle grow it feeds up to 30days and if you use any other feed don’t mix it as strong as you normally do.ive used it from seed to finish with no feedings at all and done pretty good

4 Likes

Don’t use miracle grow I have great things with happy frog for the seedlings. And about week 3-4 I repot into ocean forest soil for the grow. I don’t have to feed them anything till week 6 and I use all fox farm products and I don’t have any relationship with them. They work for me and PH from 6.-7. I don’t want the ph to be the same everyday. This is the range so the nutritional requirements are met with this. Best of luck.

2 Likes

I looked at their forest soil but its really expensive especially when u consider I’m running 10-12 plants every 3-4 Mos cause i grow year round and each one is in a 5 gal bucket.

1 Like

I have a continal grow and I know you get what you pay for. I know you can use the soil more than one cycle I do anyway. If miracle grow is cheaper you already know why but it’s your way and the end is what we’re all about. Best Regards Robert S Raper

1 Like