Store bought potting soil

Pay attention to the Miracle Gro, there are different formulations for seedlings and plants in veg. I have had great luck with their organic seed starter for germination and the first 3-4 weeks or so, then transplant into Miracle Gro organic potting soil, where my plants thrive. Putting seedlings directly into Miracle Gro potting soil would be bad.

1 Like

Fixed limited income lol. But I’ll work it out

1 Like

I grow in soil (outside) and custom blend inside. Outside I mulch and organics only. I recycle my soil each grow. I run a dozen 40-50L pails so I know what soil cost. I let nature take care of the soil and swap out each grow - grow, recycle, grow. All those leaves, kitchen scraps, grass clippings (neighbors will gladly donate…find a kid who mows lawns and offer a few dollars and you will get tons of nitrogen.
In my tents, I use PEAT, bought at Ace hardware, BlackGold organic at 4.99 for 4cu". I add perlite, vermiculite, sometimes a little coco (gotta watch the PH). I got those at Lowes, .499 for 4cu" bags. It is the nutrients that start adding up. I also got Kellogs organic soil at HomeDepot, 6cu’ for 7.00. Watch those sales!
It does work out. Get a good cycle going and it becomes never ending

I use a reallly good organic made soil from a local farmer. And no chemicals because the soil is that good, no pinching needed . Plants thrive on natural conditions. So try and create a nice inside breeze with the right temperature and humidity. I water my young plants from the bottom to promote good root growth. I use a 3 light system sunrise/high noon/sunset 6hrs/6.1hrs/6.1hrs, 2side lights 1 above.Have fun experimenting and learn from mistakes. Happy growing

3 Likes

3 Likes

They seemed to be rallying and now all of them look burnt. I am using two 1200 w leds i have them as high as they can go in the tent. Every bit of 36 in away from the plants. This whole grow has been a disaster. Pretty frustrated and disheartened

@Empress do you have a fan in there? That looks like nutrient burn and wind burn more than light burn to me.

2 Likes

I have one four in duct fan in each tent

I agree with MDBuds. If it were light burn, you would have many more claws. When you take pics for analysis, better off turning off burples so we get a better view of the actual leaves. The plants look pretty thin, usually an indicator of nutes / ph conditions and lights. Lights may say 1200w but what lamps are they? 36" is a long way off also for light to top of plant ratio. When there is not enough BLUE spectrum (either too far away or type of light fixture) you usually get thinning plants. Hard to see the outside edges of your leaves because of the led light.

3 Likes

1 Like

The pics do not look as bad as they do under the burple lights. You got some nutrient issues and maybe some stunt from the stress but nothing that is end of world for the girls. They can recover in a couple / 3 weeks or let them ride it out and accept lower harvest.
The lights are low end lights. They claim 1200 w but when you check the lumen’s, they are near the bottom end of the spectrum. Doesn’t mean you can’t grow but you wont get the result you would have from spending $50 more on something like SPIDER FARMER SF-1000 ($150) or VIPARSPECTRA Latest XS1500 (a coupon brings it down to 140). All this means is that you need more light to accomplish same thing.

5 Likes

I agree, there different types of miracle grow. Make sure you get the correct one for your piticular stage.

1 Like

I used miracle grow for years and i found out that the direction on the back if you use the direction it is to much i always mixed it lighter. I always mixed two of the big scoops to five gallon of water

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

so they seem to be trying to rally. i removed the duct fan. next grow i think im going to give black gold a try. i cant thank all you guys enough :two_hearts:

2 Likes

@Empress before next grow since you have a smaller tent i would get the 4 inch variable speed intake and exhaust fans. They look a lot better since you took the fan out but you still need air flow. At least an intake and let it passively exhaust so you can keep air flowing and let some environmental c02 build up.

2 Likes

forgive a stupid question but just leaving the tent door partly open wont give enough air flow? and ill also start ph testing my soil. ill look for one of those fans

Better price on Ebay with 5 more cfm on fan

also great deal includes carbon filter

I have purchased from this company and the accept lesser offer, negotiate with them
1 Like