So paper towel method only way for hgcc seeds?

I read they prefer the paper towel method for germinating seeds. Is that why i have such a horrible germ rate? I mix the soil and drop the seed in,water and let it go. Like i have for the last 20+ years. Guess im stupid.
Genetic quality is sub par for the price we paid (no freebies on any of our orders,its not a big deal though), the pic you see are two tail biters (local seeds) and the two in front are from hgcc(blue widow and a ssk#1 which is not a true ssk#1 like the last one i grew out from hgcc,never had a fruity pebbles "super skunk #1). All seed planted same time,the hgcc took almost a week and a half to pop,local seeds took 4-5 days.

Anyone else having bad results or did i just order on a bad day? I’ll add a pic i gotta resize cause well…

2 Likes

Keeps sayin file to big either way the hgcc plants are lookin shaby and poor quality but my local seeds are twice the size and way greener.

1 Like

Ok that worked

2 Likes

I mean, it’s hard to say if that’s genetic - there are of course a lot of variables at this point. I’m sure that’s what they’d say. I’d try adding some blood meal.

Regarding the seed starting method, I think I’m back in the paper towel camp for pot seeds. I used it the first time, got 100% germination, and then lost a few during the transplant. I start my veggie garden seed right in the soil, and said, well this is stupid. The next time, I started em in soil and had a better overall success rate. I didn’t have 100% germination but I didn’t lose any due to roots getting stuck in the paper towel.

Next time, not sure what went wrong but it was probably my fault, only 1 came up starting in the soil. Used the paper towel, had 100% germination, was more careful, and didn’t lose any.

2 Likes

Good morning, I’m very new at this that being said, I put my seeds in a glass of water. I’ve done this with only 6 seeds and all 6 have germinated at day 2.

1 Like

@c4stevo I have noticed with the HGC seeds that they are not always the quality they boast about and I have had enough. First order of 8 seeds,GDB, all germinated and grew then my second order of seeds I ordered the OGK feminized , 8 seeds of which only one put out a root tail…the others cracked open but went no further…the seeds were also very tiny. The one that made it struggled and did not do well, had foxtails everywhere but produced a decent smoke. I am currently trying to grow the free auto seeds I got. FIrst time growing auto and so far they are growing but half of them cracked but never put out the root tail. I soak my seeds in water for 24 hrs then put in paper towel, done it this way all my life and never had issues with seeds cracking open but not putting out the root tail. I think they need a better quality control on their seeds, size does matter in seeds as a general rule of thumb…we should never get seeds the size of poppy seeds. I received my 3rd order from HGC seeds and again I see tiny seeds…this will by my last order from them. Anyone out there getting seeds from a good source???

2 Likes

I’ve not had any germ failures with their stuff. I have had some go a day or two longer than anticipated, and it was patience that saved the day.

I soak seeds in shallow tap water (jar lid covered with light proof solid) for about 8 hours to soften them up, then sow them directly 1/4-3/8” deep into soil. Eye dropper water if needed, and wait. Might be one day, might be three.

1 Like

@c4stevo there’s no difference. i’ve always popped seeds in the 5 gallon bucket directly in the soil. my best bud uses a cup of water to germinate and transplants. our other four buds use paper towels and transplanting. i’ve won the most Case of Beer Grow Bets amoung us. :grin: i’m pretty proud of that fact …Bwa!!

7 Likes

get unbleached coffee filters, place the seeds inside them and then the filter inside paper towel. The filters do not let the taps roots entangle in fibers and the paper towel keeps the correct amount of moisture

2 Likes

Went through the records and did a seed count. Turns out this beauty is an hgcc green crack x ak 47. Other is a tail biter (rouge river shiver x primo stout f1).

1 Like

@Mrb53004 Hope you’re finally moved and settled in friend. Merry Christmas many more Happy Grows :wave:

@DollarBill I got to upload one I topped that had three tops for Colas. I topped that thing multiple times and each multiplied by three. A Mutation. I read up and it says it can’t be duplicated because the Genetics are unstable. However I will take the extra yield. Lol

1 Like

LoL @Cannaman22 i’ll go an Extra Mile for an Extra Oz and if Jupiter produced weed by the ten times a plant i’d be figuring out how to highjack a Starship :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks…moved but not settled. Has water / leak issue that finally got finished yesterday. They had to remove 3 floors and 7 walls 2-3’…
I AM NOWHERE near setting up my tent…still packed in the garage. Because I lost 1/3 of the house to repairs, nowhere in the house either. I also had a clause in my lease NO GARDENING…could not believe it. I petitioned and they will allow me non-permanent planters so I can at least use containers. Heading into winter so will be February before outdoor is viable.
Merry Christmas to all and be safe. May we all be blessed with a great new year. Anything has to be better than this

2 Likes

@Mrb53004 wanted to call them Christmas Grunches huh? the poor souls :laughing:

Its the way I’ve been doing it since i started growing old friend of mine or mentor he showed me how to do it 35 years ago

32 hour’s on these one’s

5 Likes

@Daddy1971 straight out of the soil, some reason i’ve always made that little germinating seedie push dirt. maybe cuz it never hurt me working hard :wink: they’re like kids to me so when i plant i tell 'em, Get a Job :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: 20211128_210522

4 Likes

Lol you crazy as hell my friend i love it merry Christmas and happy year 2022 hell yea

2 Likes

@Daddy1971 :laughing: i don’t smoke pot for nothing

2 Likes

Me and you @DollarBill both 0h and i get check for being crazy myself

2 Likes