So much to learn...so many questions!

Continuing the discussion from Getting ready for my first grow:

My most pressing question(s) first.

Here’s the scene:

2X4 tent
3 gallon bags
Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil
200W Spider Farmer SF2000 EVO LED (2024 Update Version)
Nutes by GH Flora Series

2 Autos
SOG technique.

I have 8 sqft to work with. General concensus is 1 plant p/sqft.

However, I only have 3 gallon bag pots. 3 bags fit the space nicely on the floor, however, this being my first time, I have a couple of pressing questions I haven’t really found an answer for.

Can I safely put 2 plants per pot? Seems like there would be enough room but I’m very unclear how big the root system is and if they would interfere with each other in a detrmental way. If I can get away with this, that would give me 6 plants total which should fill out the canopy nicely.

When the “Indoor Height” is given, is that total height or just the Veg Phase with Flowering added. I ask because, while the tent is 60" tall, I really only have around 40"-45" of actual grow room and still keep the tops far enough from the lights and have room for the inline fan/filter setup.

Thanks in advance for y’alls help!

Wsihing all HG and hoping to be doing the same in the next day or two.

P.S. Yes, I know I’m probably over-thinking this before starting. I’m German and the trait of over engineering is genetic. Sorry…

1 Like

I would go with 5gal pot with a single plant per pot: you will be limiting the size of the plants by limiting their root space: in my opinion

3 Likes

I thought about that. Unfortunately I bought what I have before I really had even an inkling of an idea of what I needed. Meh, live and learn. I’d like to stay with the pots I have because, you know, money’s tight. Hence the question.

Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

I don’t think this is a consensus. I have a 4x4, at most I like to run in that is 5, in the layout of a die. Mind you, I have had WAY more than that in there, but they were small and I didn’t flower them all at the same time (most got moved outside when it wared up, and they finished veg and flower elsewhere).
I currently have 3 in there now and it’s crammed!

If you only have 2 autos, just keep it at 2 until you finish those out and see for yourself how big they get! Worse thing you can do is start 8 and after they get 3 weeks old find out you don’t have the room and have to chuck 5. And get some experience on those first ones before you blow the bank with too many and are disappointed with the results (caused by overcrowding, or by user error)

3 Likes

Sounds like good advice. Going with just the two autos was the semi-original, plan…then I got to thinking and getting greedy. :roll_eyes:

I’m also going to go with a couple of 5-gal buckets I found out in my shed.

Guess we’ll see how it goes. I should be posting initial pics a couple/three days…

HG y’all

P.S. - Also, considering it’s only me and I tend to keep to myself, I think even a “meh” crop would last me quite a while. I mean, how long does a 1/2 lb stash last y’all on average if you’re not really sharing for whatever reason.

1 Like

About 3 months! Retired so have the time to smoke daily and often: just long enough to bring in additional crop :yin_yang: fresh weed is best in my opinion: after 3-6 months i need the need crop and turn the older to butter or oil

2 Likes

This is how my 4by4 tent is right now. 6 pots 4 stages of growth :smiley:
i would recommend focusing on climate balance rather than more plants. 2 should be enough to deal with. good luck

1 Like

Then we’re in the same boat. Making up for all the time I lost because of “career” restrictions.

1 Like

Yep, definately seeing the wisdom in all the less is more advice. Thank you all for the benefit of your experience.

1 Like

creating a good air water soil and light balance is the key
next key is the feeding with what and when
once you know of those and what you are doing you will see that plant count is a bit trivial
i have 320W cob led btw
also you will be smoking at least 1 gram a day if you got the time :wink:

I’m retired so I have LOTS of time and I have A LOT of making up to do for all the years I spent in careers that tested randomly and frequestly… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well folks, finally got my two seeds set on the path to germination, hopefully I did it right.

Using GH Rapid Rooter plugs that I soaked in a 5ml/L solution of Germ Genie, wrung out until damp.

Currently sitting under the SF2000 lights @ 30% and 26"

Temp in the tent is 76 and ^

Humidity is 58% and also ^.

Thoughts, suggestions, anything?

2 Likes

good luck bud
not much to say, yet…

And just like that…I have another daughter! :joy:

That’s the Sticky Beast from Zamnesia.

The second one hasn’t surfaced yet, but no doubt it will soon!

2 Likes

Day 2 - She’s looking strong! Second bean still hasn’t surfaced

2 Likes

at this stage i always put a cup upside down, with punctures on top and create a safe dome for the first 7-10 days. or until it outgrows the cup. 4-5 time spraying from the top. just an idea. but also i start in my final medium.

It’s in a seed tray with a dome. I’m gonna try direct to soil next time around. Also have a mister…glad I didn’t forget anything. :joy:

1 Like

are you gonna go in soil for these ?

Yes, they in peat plugs for now, I’ll transfer them in a couple of weeks or when they outgrow the dome.

Forgot, I’m using 5-gal grow bags with FF Ocean as their forever home

2 Likes

if you put the plugs in to the final pot i guess it could be considered as starting directly in final medium no? thats what i did with my clones