Getting ready for my first grow

Which LST method would work best for me? I’ve been doing one hell of a lot of studying on this but can’t decide.

2X4 tent
3 gallon bags
2 Autos

Any and all suggestions in addition to the above will be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hellure!
I am currently on my 5th grow. I just grow one plant at a time. I started off with growing an autoflower with low stress training using the thin plastic coated wire ties that came with my grow tent kit.
I did not top the plant. As it grew I would attach wire ties to spread out branches adjusting it as needed. The attached photo shows the plant before harvest. I had attached the wire ties by poking holes in the fabric pot. Unfortunately I had removed the ties before taking the photo. You can see how it grows a large main cola when you don’t top. I also used a 5 gal pot.
My current auto I did top. It’s a pineapple express. Folks say not to top autoflowers. I decided to give it a try anyways. I decided to use a thicker plastic coated wire. I cut a length long enough to poke in the soil to the bottom of the pot and to hold the branch. I also attach them to the plastic grate underneath my pot. By topping I am trying to keep the top of my plant even. Sometimes adjusting the ties as needed.

1 Like

3 Likes

I am not the pro but you should not top after day 18 or 20 max because auto will switch to preflower 4th week latest. when done later it may not recover/
i am topping my autos around 16 -18 days and try to aim the 5th node. the 2nd set of 5 or 7 blades (depends on the strain) to be precise

purple bud auto at week 4 of flowering. i accidentally cut the nodes thats why 6 colas :laughing:

2 Likes

I usually just go for the tie down method myself . Why not try topping one and just tie down another .

Granddaddy Purple 86 days and counting .

2 Likes

Been doing A LOT of reading/learning. I think your suggestion is what I’m gonna go with this first ride. Gonna be in a 2x4 w/two 3gal fabric pots. Will add a trellis later for support.

I dunno, I not new to cannabis but growing my own is a whole different story. Since deciding (basically forced to because of the quality of what I have gotten off the legacy market) I have been in a state of amazement at how things have changed. Boggles the mind…but in a good way!

1 Like

@Curmudgeon
I am on my 3rd grow.
To be honest topping and training can go down on your priority list.
I messed up my 1st grow trying the training options. I had 1 meter height so i had to figure out training. I wish i spent more time on what i am gonna write down:
Feeding the right doses and adequate watering plus environment control (temp, rh, ph, air flow) are far more important than training if you do not have vertical growth considerations. Once you get these right training will come naturally. because you will need it.
ciao

1 Like

Growing is always an experiment , even people that have been at it for decades still learn new things . What works for some may not work for everyone.
I decided to go organic this last run using Purple Cow indicjonga water only soil specifically formulated for growing weed . I used a combination of 2 gallon ,3 gallon grow bags and I also bought 2 earth boxes . Both grow boxes grew the bigger plants followed by the 3 gallon bags , 2 gallon were basically a waste of everything , unless you want to grow about 8 plants in a tent at once don’t bother.
Earth boxes take all the guess work out of watering, organic water only soil should take away the guess work of feeding fertilizer. Basically the only things you need to worry about is temp humidity , good air movement and using your light properly. It’s like growing weed for dummies lol.

2 Likes

So…here it is 11 days on from my first post.

The replies have been great BTW, thanks to all who offered their insight.

At any rate, all my grow stuff finally got here…tomorrow we germinate!

Another observation is this “gardening” thing is about as addicting as…? LOL

While most will give me the side-eye on that, y’all have to realize I ABHOR gardening. But this…must be the promise of reasonably big rewards that help me get through the day.

It is a bit twisted in my head though because I have just barely started my first one and have the second mostly planned out.

Am I the only mental case who does stuff like that? ROFLMBO!!!

Happy growng y’all…I will post pics as things progress

1 Like

@Curmudgeon
you may have ocb but its fine, ur harvest shall cure u :rofl:.
no worries we all have problems :metal:

OCD? Yeah, a bit. Mostly it’s because I get stoned and think too much! :woozy_face: :laughing:

1 Like

yeah ocd !
with adhd who am i to diagnose :rofl:
maybe you need more cbd potent strains to stop from thinking too much :wink:

Yes, CBD helps that a lot…but still. Besides, I like being in my own little world.

1 Like

You’ll be a great grower cause you think ahead and plan. Not twisted at all. Many times I look at a plant and start planning the next one :). Especially if i’m going to grow that strain again im definitely making notes.

1 Like

Yes, CBD helps that a lot…but still. Besides, I like being in my own little world.

3 Likes

Well…a bit of a delay, been sick (again) so things have been on hold. Feeling somewhat better now and am able to setup the last of my equipment. Also FINALLY decided which 2 autos to grow first. Purple Punch (Homegrown) and Sticky Beast (Zemnesia). Should be interesting… :grin:

1 Like