Show Your Homegrown!

Yes summers are really high winters run in the 30s

They are very humid.

1 Like

Ugh. Hahaha! I’m sorry. I have no other way to put it, in my limited personal opinion.

Thanks Bill, I’m afraid you are right. I hate to take off a leaf, but that’s the only way I will know for sure. I took this pic today with my phone magnifying X10 …and it’s just not close enough

4 Likes

Oh yes it is. I see milky

2 Likes

@Kris you may have misunderstood. Not an entire leaf, just one frond of a leaf - that should get you an excellent sample without removing anything of “major value”. Once those trichs begin to change to from clear to translucent, you’ll be able to get a good idea of when to harvest. There have been numerous posts regarding a trichome color scale used to determine when to harvest. I’ve been using this method for the last 2 grows (I have a grow per month) and the harvests have been right on in terms of what I was looking for. Believe me, sacrificing a leaf frond to get a good pic/view is worth it.

4 Likes

LOL, thanks Bill, you were clear on what you said, it’s just me hating to take anything away from the bud…and that’s silly. That is the only way I will be able to tell for sure. My husband has also been telling me to do that, my hard head was getting in the way :).

2 Likes

@Kris - you think your phone is not good enough but when I click on your photo, I can click a 2nd time and it enlarges the photo for better inspection. That is why I said Milky, I do not really see amber in there

1 Like

Thank you Mike! I did cut off a little portion of a sugar leaf and brought it downstairs so I could set it down on a table and get a better close up…not sure what my dropping the leaf about 4 times on my way downstairs did to it…but here it is LMAO. Thanks again for your time in checking this out. Guessing I should be getting ready for a harvest??

1 Like

Trichomes appear clear and just a little milky, you have time…Let her grow. This is the time where the trichome production will increase and buds will thicken up / get dense, more dense…mo betta

1 Like

Kris @Kris lol. We are such mothers. Watch it guys :kissing_heart::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Thank you again Mike! I am so thankful to you and others here that share their experience and expertise! :blue_heart:

Highya Kris.

I suggest that you don’t only go by trichs and don’t use the ones on the leaves to judge how ripe. You have a pic of the whole plant and an age since budset or flip?
Some Sativas will never get fully cloudy and keep pushing pistils past their harvest window. It helps to use other clues to determine when they are done. Indicas are easier to judge.
You want senescence of the pistils, cloudy trichs and the plant will also show other signs that it is nearing harvest. Slowing their feeding is one of these. Bud building slowing is another.

I can’t tell what the whole plant looks like but you have almost all white fuzzy pistils in that pic. I see one in senescence and that makes me think that you have weeks left. You would ideally want the pistils to darken and recede into the bud.

Here is my Peyote Forum. She is about a week or two from harvest. Note how her pistils look. Most have darkened but she still has a good number of white ones. I scoped her and she looks about 30% clear still. I’d like mostly cloudy with a small amount of amber so I’ll wait. I scope mid level buds. The top colas will mature faster and show more amber. This is especially obvious outdoors where they are effected by UV and harsher winds.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information, I will take the pistils and trichs both in consideration when looking for a harvesting time. I believe the pistils started growing (if that is what you mean by ‘budset’) around the first week in Dec. This plant is a White Widow auto flower, and it’s 10 weeks old.

After seeing the pic of yours, I hate to share the pic of my whole plant LOL. Since so many leaves were turning yellow I felt that was also an indication that it was getting close to harvesting.

Thank you so much for going in depth and explaining what to look for. This is my first grow since the 1980’s. I had never even heard of ‘auto flower’ before this year. It’s a learning experience and a fun one. I am so glad you, Mike and others are willing to share what you have learned.

3 Likes

Well ya’ll Mz Brandi is really maturing!! She was 6 wks since flip & her fan leaves are yellowing. Couple more weeks. Her trichomes are white/cloudy with some browning pistils.
Thoughts - GDP photo

5 Likes

That looks absolutely yummy!!!

@adcrag Wow your plants are just gorgeous. You really do have a good green thumb. You can tell they are just happy and healthy girls keep doing what you’re doing I hope this year gives you lots of good times and big Harvest.:v::v:

She has a long way to go.
What medium and nutrients are you using?
She looks hungry or like her pH could be off. When they stretch and start bulking in flower they can start cannibalizing themselves.

That is indeed what I meant by budset. I would estimate that you have about a month to go yet from the timeline and the appearance of your plant.

1 Like

Nice. She does look like she could either use an increase in her nutes or she may have cold feet.
Looks like she has about three weeks left on her.

If you start counting from budset you will be closer to the breeder recommend times for harvest. If you are going from when you flipped you will be harvesting up to two weeks early. Some plants mature into flower much faster than others and if you are using a clone it can be even faster since they are the same biological age as the original plant that they came from.

3 Likes

Good morning! I am using Miracle Gro moisture control potting mix. I have only used nutes twice, and that was a diluted solution of Miracle Gro Bloom Booster Flower Food. As far as the pH, I don’t know because what I have to check the soil says I have to make a muddy solution with the soil in order to check…didn’t think that would be good for the plant. The really odd thing is I have 3 white widow auto growing, next to each, treated the same way…yet one is doing great and the other two are really looking dismal? Yikes! A month away? I’m so glad you mentioned that because I thought I was pretty close to harvest. :slight_smile:

4 Likes