Second crop - growing indoors with MixASoil

I repotted last night. Germ to Seedling has been a nightmare. I almost wish I could go to Home Depot and buy my plants already seeded, like my wife gets the Marigolds. Might be a while before that is legal in Ga. LOL

Out of the attempt, I lost two plants. I lost a SB/C in germ. It just never popped. Replaced with 2 BB Reg Fast. Lost one of those in seedling.

I was seeding using the little Jiffy PODs and dome. Will never do that again. Those things go from being mud-balls to dried up turds. Coir/Verm/Peat works so much better for me.

I am trying to leave very little to chance. My light is 16/8 24". I will not use any Neuts. since I am growing in MixASoil. The vendor says not too. The root ball is still in the Coir/Verm/Peat and I figured that that would be a good, gradual transformation while it gradually mixes.

I only run the blower during ā€œdaylightā€. I use it more to regulate temperature than any other reason. Once they start vegging Iā€™ll keep it on more. Donā€™t see a reason to run it when it dark. I keep the temp about 23c and not higher than 25c. RH holding at 55 to 70.
My biggest variable is water. Iā€™ve been watering by spray bottle thus far. With two gallon bags, I am not sure if that is enough. What is a good water regimen at this stage and how should I apply it?
Thanks

1 Like

Them pods i put them in a tray and always keep it wet once they pop start growing i put them in there home

2 Likes

How long do yo keep them under the dome? A lot of people talk about keeping them there for weeks but my dome was only about 1" above the pod. Also, everywhere Iā€™ve read, it said to remove the dome as soon at the sprout breaks soil.
Also, the little panty that the soil is in. Do you remove it?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never used a dome @Mrb53004 he uses dome

1 Like

Thatā€™s like when I clone from ones im growing set the clones to the side in the shadows drizzle water on them everytime i check on them no dome just have to find what works for you

1 Like

You guys are light years ahead of me. Iā€™m trying to catch up on the learning curve but there is a lot to learn. Having said that, I just realized I have pretty much screwed up.

The short version of the story. Like I said above, I have 3 SBCC(Fem autos) and 1 Bruce Bannon Reg. I had both regulars and Fast. I intended to germ a Fast but got a Reg. I just went and counted the seeds left in the baggy. It is a Reg!!! I am not qualified to even think about a photo-period/non-gendered beast!!! And I am growing this in a tent with Autos. For a while, I was thinking of just pulling it. I donā€™t have another tent and light.
But here is my idea. Since it is a pure regular and would not flip until I change the light to 12x12, I can just let it stay in Veg stage until Iā€™ve actually harvested the SBCCs. Since they a Fem/Autos, the extra light wonā€™t hurt.
Once theyā€™re out of the tent, I can play a crap shoot with the Bruce. If it is a Fem, I can let it flower and play my hand while the SBCCs are curing. It might be a tree by then. LOL If it is a male, Iā€™ll probably just cull it.
Can any seasoned growers chime in? Is this a suitable plan for a neophyte gardener? Or do you think I should just abort the Bannon Reg now?

2 Likes

Hey we learn from our mistake donā€™t beat yourself up we here to learn and teach

1 Like

I use the 36m pods, in a 10 slot container with a dome. Gotta drench them puppies with ro water until they are soaked (sometimes hours), place in a second container (drain), add the seedlings (seedlings have to be about 1/2 inch, make sure you COVER the seed, dome itā€¦until the plants hit the dome, like 1st node.
Then undome4 and continue until you see the roots coming out the pods, then pop the pod in a container of choice.
DOmes =
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08699LB1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
36mm pellets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081BBRL6X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You cannot let the pods DRY OUT and that is pretty hard in a dome unless you got the temps too high or light too close
I go at 28inches at around 20-30% power on the light, or a seedling light
I have an aero grow and it is PERFECT for sprouting the little buggers
I do not use the container, just the dome set on the shelf under the light at its tallest setting. If they get a little langley, I lower the light. I never let the heat go above 75-80 or else they always stretch

3 Likes

Thanks Mike helping our friend out

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t screw around with small pots for fast autos. Iā€™m currently doing grow number three of blueberry auto, and I use five gallon fabric pots with a full bag of ocean forest soil plus a center plug of about two cups of happy frog I use as germination soil as itā€™s a bit gentler. Big pots mean big roots to store more food for budsā€¦ā€¦

4 Likes

I agree with @Northcountryguy i start in pods as soon as they come up i put them in there big 5gal pots

put the pod in with seed starter around it

2 Likes

Yup. FFOF with a central starter bit of FFHF. The margarine tub has its bottom removed and split down one corner. It simply acts as a retaining wall while the starter soil is added, somewhat keeping them apart until the retainer is removed. I see this method as avoiding seedling burn or transplant stress. Then using FF liquid nutes about 1/2 to 2/3 as directed.

image image

4 Likes

This time I used the cup Screenshot_20211009-102635

2 Likes

4 Likes

Iā€™m in 2 gallon pots/bags now. They seemed to recover from the transfer stress quite well. Everybody looks happy this morning. My concern now is whether I will out grow the pot.
I do have 5 gal pots and if it looks like Iā€™m outgrowing 2 gal, Iā€™ll do the deed.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why i put straight in there pots

1 Like

Hmmm. Wondering if the 2 gallon pretty much precludes or limits likelihood of a 5gal root ball. In other words, thinking the potential early on to stretch for water and build a bigger root ball comes before we see it on top.

3 Likes

did not know that
thx

1 Like

Alot of people prefer starting small work there way up me myself i like one and done i can work on training and other things and i donā€™t have to worry about transplant

3 Likes

I think Iā€™m doing that next grow :+1::+1: stick to 2-3 plants and make em look alien in 10galpots :wink:

2 Likes