Oils/tinctures vs flower/hash/wax/dabs

Those look SOOOO tasty!!

2 Likes

Congrats on your happy and healing moon rocks! They look like a wonderful Blessing indeed. Enjoy in good health.
Warmly-

1 Like

@Bill @kanashiihawk sure wish i could share

2 Likes

Don’t forget about me!! @DollarBill lol

2 Likes

LOVE this CoolBubs! Can you share your recipe with us? I make the same type of caps using a Magical Butter Machine (MB2) and either liquid organic coconut oil or sesame oil (for tinctures or MCT medium grade canna oil) or I use the more room solid coconut oil (the kind that solidifies at room temp.) to make Cannabutter (and of course you can use dairy butter if you want- solid coconut oil has no taste and is very easy and easily assimilated into your body. Wonderful Health to all.

2 Likes

MDBuds:
I went ahead and invested the 200$ US Dollars to buy the Magical Butter Machine (MB2) because I must make both tinctures and edibles for TWO very different patients (one cannot have ANY product with sativa over 30%) and the other patient has to be wary of too sedating of effects because he has to work as a cashier so involves a lot of quick thinking and clear focus.

The MB Machine is easy. Decarboxylate your weed- Throw your carrier medium (oil/butter/MCT Oil/Etc) 2-4 cups, measure out your decarbed weed (no need to grind or fuss with!) set the temp and the machine does it’s own thing and you get all the perks with easy clean up!

The older more tried and true method basically involves the same decarbing of your marijuana first (standard bake in the oven at around 230 F for 30-40 minutes), then melt your carrier oil in a stove top (or hot pot plate) DOUBLE BOILER! Helps preserve the terpenes and the various cannabinoids!

Use cheesecloth to soak your plant material in your warming oil or butter and let simmer LOW and SLOW (very little bubble action) at around 160 degrees F for about an hour. Remove the linen or cheese cloth sack containing your herb, then strain again through a micron filter (IF you want a cleaner appearance- Otherwise this is just an unnecessary step for visual appeal only.)

If you are someone who regularly uses Tinctures (alcohol or Oil based), FECO (Full Extract Cannabis Oil Concentrate or RSO “Rick Simpson Oil”) then it really DOES pay for itself.

So here is a real world example…
MB2 Magical Butter Machine (210$ a year ago)
Seeds from HCC (200$ good variety start pack)
Mars HydroLights and 1 3x3 grow tent and one 5x 5 grow tent.

After my very first grow with Auto seeds (and man, it was the SCRAWNIEST, most sad grow because I was a rank newbie and the fact the plants even survived was a testament to the sheer adaptability of the cannabis plant!) either way, the girls rewarded me with a total of = 1,200$ in both Tincture/Concentrate AND Edible butter (Not too mention even got some “bag seeds” from the harvest and…They POPPED and GREW!!!)
So- I’ve already much pretty much paid for the Grow tents-Lights and initial start up. I am now on my 6th crop and the one I am using all the knowledge I’ve learned so far through all of the wonderful folks here to grow some more unique and hard to find strains. Wheee! Best of health everyone.

5 Likes

@kanashiihawk I’ve been thinking about getting that Ardent decarboxylator. They have two models right now around the same price as that magical butter machine was and they have great reviews and if their statistics on the site hold up they say their machines can get a 90% decarboxylation rate out of your cannabis. That is insane because standard methods can get a maximum of around 70% decarboxylation before they start burning off cannabinoids and thc degrades and starts turning into cbn.

Glad you have an eagle eyed son to help you out. Hopefully when my eyes start going my daughter will be old enough and willing to help her old man out. :joy:

4 Likes

MDBuds:
While I have not personally tried the Ardent I am friends with another Cannabis healer who swears by it, so it basically boils down to what sort of bells/whistles/price/value you want. In your case I bet you would be very pleased with the Ardent.
Now, I sometimes work with more rare herbs and different flowers (Like Valerian/Comfrey/Hops/etc) in my various tinctures and edibles so the MB2 is great when I need to run an alcohol based tincture for 8 hrs. Mb2 will run the whole thing(Decarbed Cannabis/and or other Exotic Botanical Herbs) and it is sweet indeed!

2 Likes

I also use organic coconut butter that is solid at room temp, decarb (I said 200F in my post above but that’s only because my toaster oven runs hot) for 20ish min. From seeing everyone else’s methods I will probably decarb a bit longer next time (30 probably).

I melted a half cup of coconut oil in a double boiler and mixed with 4G dried/ground bud and then 12G sugar leaves and stem from past buds. Had a low simmer in the water for 21ish minutes (again might try longer). Final yield was 60 pills, my friends and gf all say the pills give a good body high and eventually make them sleepy.

I seem to have a better mood when I take a couple, but actually don’t seem to have near the body effects (if any) of what my friends/gf who have tried them. I have a very low bmi and I was told something about needing a bit of fat for the coconut oil to bind to or something. Maybe I just smoke too much :sweat_smile:

Seems to work good for others though. Getting that magic butter machine sounds like it might be worth my while for any of my small autos :grin:

4 Likes

As I mentioned- For me, it was worth the initial outlay to get an Ardent or a Magical Butter Machine or other type of infuser.
Go to YouTube and watch a video of the Magical Butter machine, pretty nice, pretty easy for someone who doesn’t have hours to spend cooking, The nice thing is that the MB2 can go up to 8 hrs long with a variable temp control (I am sure the Ardent may have something similar, but always compare your products!)
Personally, I’m a bit old fashioned and too many bells/whistles/tech just confuses me more :smiley: So for me, the MB2 just is more streamline less fuss. But yeah for butter- You should at least let it infuse/soak a minimum of 1 hr. (I run my butter 2-3 hrs in the MB2 and my EverClear Tinctures at 8hrs in the MB2, it just honestly doesn’t get any easier.

Now a quick address to your ingestion method (Pills/Tinctures vs Smoke or Toke) Pills/ Edibles even tinctures (sublingual) or suppositories ALL affect the body differently. The great news is that your BODY is still getting all your necessary cannabinoids (CBD/THC/ CBG/ etc) Personally for my Nightime Remedies I DO let the cannabis “age” a bit to get a higher CBN ratio to my tinctures. CBN is a natural narcotic and sedative and makes people really sleepy, so for those of us with bad PTSD or Waking Continuously at night in pain or inner turmoil…Well, the pills DO stop that, but you “feel” a totally different way when ingestion cannabis via pill or butter than with say, inhaling.
Obviously for those who must work, or need to stay “focused”, or alert, obviously you would want something that is more “gentle” and not psychotropic. So there is more what I would call a “Warm Blanket” feeling when I use my tinctures or pills. I can handle stress/anxiety better, adapt to daily situations better, my pain is improved, seizures under control, all that good stuff, just not the mind blown “high”…

Now, that is NOT to say that medical folks DO indeed need to relax and have a nice day to relax have a 420 “Party Day.” And so as a medical patient you can still have your “medical schedule” dose and you can have maybe something to eat or smoke for recreational; use or for breakthrough pain or discomfort.

I also find that sometimes each of us has (genetically) certain strains/cultivars that seem to hit us more strongly than others. Some people are out like a light with any Indica and others can be climbing the walls with energy. It’s a matter of careful, mindful experimentation to find what works best of you. I wish you best of luck and as always good health to all.

4 Likes

Smoking or vaping is very efficient to deliver the miracle molecules to the receptors. With edibles, material is lost in production and during the digestive process.

As MDBuds said, homemade from homegrown is better than commercial extracts. My favorite is to take a handful of decarbed buds, grind them up, put them in a jar then cover in grain alcohol and let is sit for a few weeks, shaking regularly. After straining, you have a potent elixer that you can measure with a dropper to calculate dosage. Then a dropper in a glass of water, or coffee, or straight down your throat. You can measure it out for chocolates and cookies, letting the alcohol evaporate before adding wet ingredients.

I find the best combo is to vape or smoke a hit and ingest a dropper of tincture at the same time. As the smoke tapers off, the tincture kicks in. You get a good initial liftoff, with flight sustained for hours.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Look for food quality fractionated coconut oil. The fractionating process removes the fat components that harden at room temp, so fractionated coconut oil is liquid all the time. Good for cooking and for topical pain applications.

If you can find and add the sunflower lecithin emulsifier in small quantities to your edibles, you’ll get better digestive absorption of the magic molecules.

4 Likes

I have had good luck mailing in sealed glass jars. Just saying.

1 Like

@Dabbindeebo @dmtscravey @Rye @kanashiihawk @Khatru @Kronic 50 Grams of these high grade GG #4 Fem. low light buds frozen 30 hours in the freezer then dry ice strained :smirk: equals

Instant Hash and Best i ever inhaled :laughing:

7 Likes

Do you hang and dry those at all before throwing in the freezer first? Or just right after chop? That looks damn appetizing!

2 Likes

No, when i harvest i only cure what i will smoke as bud or use as bud nuggets for the Moon Rock Hash (for the Sugar Wax trichomes and Kief i put all those low light buds straight into the freezer wet for 30 hours. next wash i will put all the leaves in that are also frozen and get another wash almost as equal as but just a little closer to plant color

5 Likes

@CoolBubs once i watched a dude on youtube use a paint can and electric saw to separate chomes from frozen plant matter. it changed my whole way of thinking. Google it.

4 Likes

Hell yeah!! That looks amazing. Ive never had anything like that before.

3 Likes

@Dabbindeebo the Feds are decriminalizing Marijuana Federally so after the election you will have

5 Likes

@DollarBill hell yea man looking amazing and I’m sure it tastes delicious!!! :heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes