New to growing and could use some pointers

Just ordered haze seeds — became legal here in Va four days ago. Is indoor or outdoor the way to go here in the Tidewater area?

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum. Are they haze photo, fem or auto? Indoor, you have more control over variables. Your electric bill will be higher but you can grow using low wattage led bulbs too. You also have to provide humidity up and down controllers along with air flow. Outdoor- less control more freedom to grow up and out (more room) I have not tried an all outdoor grow but like to move plant indoor to outdoor from time to time. It’s all up to your preferences! Good luck and happy growing, my friend!

2 Likes

Other thoughts are fabric or plastic pots? What type of medium for seedling? Medium for veg state? Nutrients to use and when to use them? Water supply? Water correction and metering methods? Just a few thoughts before you germinate.

2 Likes

Good questions — I really have no idea at all. Just at the very beginning of all this. I do have a fully enclosed garage if growing indoor is the way to go.

3 Likes

They are autoflower seeds

3 Likes

Nice! I have seen some nice pics on here of different haze seeds. I suggest researching the process and a lot of time at the local grow supply store or Amazon. I used Mother Earth organic soil for my first grow and it was very forgiving. Typically, you don’t want to transplant autos too much…I do once, couple days after seedling stage to a final pot. You can push autos with nutrients after 4/5 weeks which is usually when they flower. After flower, use little nitrogen. I use HGCC organic nutes with bone meal and also blood meal. There are many brands of growing nutrients. Cal/mag is a good thing to get along with blackstrap molasses or something similar if you don’t like the mess. Azamax is good to use in medium before planting as a preventative. As I was saying though, you can push autos with nutes and heavy light in flower to get max yield. Research as much as you can about the process and it should give you a good start! Autos flower by themselves without switching light cycles so you want that quick veg state to go well if you want a larger plant with bigger yield possibilities. Good luck and I hope to see some pics soon!

1 Like

I am in VA too. I do all my growing indoors now. I take it you are growing in soil, tough to do hydro outside.

Fabric pots allow for more airflow, then plastic. I have grown great smoke in both.

You using organic or salt based nutrients? If you are doing autos, then outside in VA now will be OK. They should finish in later September. I would only do photos inside here.

Just remember the law. Regardless of being legal now, you can only have 2 plants in flower and 2 in veg. Name and drivers license on it. I still keep mine hidden and indoors. The changes are a huge first step, but they still have a ways to go.

4 Likes

Hey @Cato welcome. Check out YouTube to learn. That what I did. Trying my 1st outdoor grow.

2 Likes

Thanks all - sounds like I have a lot of research ahead of me. As far as nutrients are concerned, I assume Miracle-Gro is not the way to go…

3 Likes

Use what your wallet is comfortable with. No, miracle grow would not be my first choice.

3 Likes

Hey @cato welcome to growing in Virginia.
I am Hampton Virginia just started growing not doing good. I have grown vegetables all my life but first time growing Cannabis. I planted 4 auto SourLowryder seeds in 1 gallon cloth bags. 24x46 x60 grow tent with 2 bridgenite 600 led grow lights 9 inch inside fan 4 in inline vent fan. Used Potting soil from Lowes ph of soil 7.6 seeds popped open in water 12 hours planted and they showed 2nd set of leaves :leaves: in 3 days then stopped growing. They are a inch high and 3/4 inch wide have not changed in 3 days. Have no idea why they are not taking off like tomatoe plants do. Using tap water but leaving it out to breath for 48 hours before watering. Any suggestions folks

2 Likes

Hi Pop and welcome to the forum! Your roots might not be expanding due to soil being a bit high and possibly your tap water. Blackstrap molasses in watering will help long term but is not a quick ph fix. How often are you watering and do your leaves show shriveling and discoloration? What temps are you running at and is the fan blowing directly on your plant? Check for uncharacteristic coloring on small new growth. I hope they break out of this lock and start gaining height for you. 4/5 weeks is also a good time with most autos to start nutrient feeding. Are you using any nutrients? What kind, if you mind me asking? Thanks for your time and happy growing!

1 Like

I’m a newbie but I have had 3 successful harvest. I will say your ph is too high. It should be between 5.8 and 6.5. I’m sure some of the more experienced growers were reach out good luck my friend.

2 Likes

Jram_13 thanks for the advice. I am not watering on a schedule I only water when the pot feels light and the water test on the dry side at the bottom of the pots/bags. Comes out to watering every 2 to 4 days.

I have the fan set up.in the top.of the tent blowing directly on the plants. Every plant moves in the breeze.

The temperature is between 78 & 80 during the night 83.2 & 85 during the day

2 Likes

Adcrag thanks for your advice

2 Likes

The leaves look great no burning or curling. Color is consistent between the plants just very small seedings. I am letting my water set out until the pH goes down now hope that will help a little

2 Likes

If you are happy with your light to plant distant, try lowering soil and water ph. Organic ph drop is affective with less risk of a lower harvest, IMO.

1 Like

Hi there. New here also, and in VA, Tidewater. I have finished my first grow of Big Devil Auto. Did it inside the tent in garage. Used Happy Frog and Ocean Forrest soils by FoxFarm. Used liquid seaweed and CalMag as fertilizer and foliar spray for Veg period. Then Blackstrap molasses and Flower Fuel during flower. Gave only water last 2 weeks, and didn’t water 2 days before chopping. Tricomes looked good. I didn’t want crazy couchlock, so I harvested when all were milky white on buds, with some turning amber in the sugar leaves. I ran them on a 18/6 full spectrum cycle the whole time. I think autos will do better inside at this point, bc you can give them more light. But either way, you’ll learn what does and doesn’t work. The journey is exciting, and we are blessed to come into the game with 20+ years of experience and advice from forums like this. Happy Growing🤩

4 Likes

Thank you all for the advice Bloom City pH down did the trick. I moved 2 plants 🪴outside and they are loving the sun over the lights.

3 Likes

I apologize in advance - Math Nerd Warning!

You could give them more hours indoor, but “more light” than the sun is a very high bar.

The more important number than hours per day is the DLI - daily light integral. Basically, the quantity of light received by the plant in a day.

Yesterday, it was overcast - not like dark and stormy, just cloudy, no blue visible. I got a reading of 1350 umol/ s on my meter (not a high dollar Apogee). Under my biggest indoor light, it has to be about 12” away on full blast to hit numbers like that. On a clear day outside, it’s over 2000.

So if you do the math, 12 hrs outside on a clear day is more light than I could deliver to the plants indoors in 24 hrs.

To the OP, I would recommend growing outside, if you can and you don’t have the indoor setup. It’s a bit harsh of an environment for seedlings though - if you can manage to start them indoor for a few weeks under a big shop light or something they might get an easier start in life.

2 Likes