Mochalope Seed Problems

I recently purchased some mochalope seeds from HGCC, along with a variety of others. It’s not my first batch of seeds and I’ve been growing for about 3 years now, but for some reason these specific seeds don’t want to germinate. So far, only 1 of 8 germinated, but opened with no leaves (see pic). The plant in the pic is just over 3 weeks AFTER placing in soil (tap root was over on inch long). I’ve reported this to HGCC, but wanted to see if anyone else was having issues.

2 Likes

Just asking becuse when I have problems like this it is usally temperature related. Was your temperature running lower on this attempt? Did you start this variaty at the same time as the others. You were not clear on that point. If you started them all at the same time your success rate should be comparable. However if you started this variaty buy itself environment would be my first guess.

1 Like

Hmmm. Sure is interesting, huh? Are you going to let them grow out and see what happens? Sometimes I wonder if seeds made from fems would cause this as I have had this issue before, but not from Homegrown, thankfully.

1 Like

Multiple seeds of various strains were started at the same time. All are doing well - as expected - except for the mochalope. I have a germination station I created that gives me uniform results.

As for letting it grow out - definitely. I never waste a plant, no matter what. I did have a GSC plant that was the strangest thing ever - it looked as if all branches were “twisted” along their axis! Got about half an ounce cured out of it, but it was really odd!

2 Likes

I just learned about this in a class I’m taking. Thanks for the trigger so I can go refresh my memory, seems like it might be important. :v:t2:

1 Like

I am glad we have a guarantee when we purchase seeds. It can happen, that is why they guarantee it

3 Likes

Put your teacher hat on, please, @Mrb53004:

Would acidic soil cause an issue? I found when growing the Hawaii x Purple Skunk she didn’t germinate or grow like the Harlequin x Kimbo Kush using the same formula. If this could be the case, it should acclimate and grow out of it’s issues, right, if it’s not turning on the genetic code for failure to thrive?

1 Like

Why it happened doesn’t solve the current issue - I ran into the same thing with GG4 seeds…It happend. The issue now is to get replacements. I think @Kronic knows how this gets done…No need to re-invent the wheel

1 Like

:chicken: :eyes: :raising_hand_woman:t2: :woman_facepalming:t2: :cyclone: :zap: :comet:

1 Like

If everything else thrives, I wouldn’t think soil etc would be an issue. Besides, the seeds aren’t germinating using the paper towel method. I get seeds to germinate and have a 1" root in 18-48 hours. Once a tap root is at least an inch long, I put it in soil. Same method as always.
It’s the seeds - no biggie - as you stated @Mrb53004 that’s why there’s a guarantee. Have plenty of other plants going at the moment.
And thanks for all the input - it really is appreciated.
Here’s a pic of my germination/startup station. The red tupperware is used to germinate the seeds. The cups are used to get the veg process going as well as boost root development. As you can see, the other plants are doing well. The 4 larger ones are clones (2 WW and 2 PKWR) and the two small ones are purple haze from seed. The sad one is the mochalope.
As for the box, wooden frame, drywall sides, cardboard door, heating pad under 1/2" wooden bottom, 30W led light at 16" above cups. The low temp heating really gets root propagation going strong, and the lighting gets the veg state moving nicely.

3 Likes

What’s in the tupperware for germination? Is it just a damp papertowel inserted into the container and closed up? I’m asking because I’m learning.

2 Likes

it’s easier than trying to pry open a plastic bag and separate the paper towel layers. As we get older, dexterity get harder. I lost my playtex gloves so I can’t even pick up a dime :laughing:

3 Likes

Now I need a tupperware container because that is a PITA when they get stuck.

3 Likes

Yes - that’s exactly what’s in there. And the lid is not closed tight - just laid on top. Plus with the mild heat coming off the bottom of the box, it creates a high humidity environment, which the seeds tend to like. As for the paper towel, I generally fold it so it fits in the container nicely. Then I “roll back” the top part so I have a “handle” to grab when separating the paper towels to get at the seeds. Hope this helps!
As for a tupperware container, any type of container will do. I always find stuff laying around the house when looking for solutions. :rofl: :thinking:

3 Likes

Sometimes the easiest things escape me, do you think a small glass container will work just as well?

2 Likes

Definitely - glass container is fine! I use shot glasses when rooting clones. Put the cutting into a rockwool cube and then into a shot glass. Then into the germ/veg box. Works great!

Also, by using glass/clear items, you can see the progress below. Even when using “solo cups”, I try to find clear ones - that way I can easily monitor root growth. Once I’m happy with the root structure, I transplant into their final pots and into the tent(s) they go!

3 Likes

Thank you! :v:t2: Insert more words here to pass the test.

1 Like

Yea @Bill just email the customer service and let them know your germination process, that you’ve spoken to Kronic on the forum, and he sent you their way. They should send a replacement or replacements out :slight_smile: Much love and happy growing! Also here is my 100% how to on germination https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIOMhbnbi6Q&t=15s&ab_channel=TheCannabisKronicles little lengthy but I go over everything. Only thing I do different now is I soak soil and place into soil instead of rockwool.

2 Likes

Thank you @Kronic - I’ll do that!

Hi @Kronic. Contacted customer service and did as you said. They honored the issue, but the replacement policy is awful. I received “points” instead of seeds. That would be fine if they were worth the same as what I paid for the seeds, but their value is only 10 cents on the dollar. Pretty disappointing. Great quality and service to this point - not sure what’s being called a guarantee is really that when you don’t get a “replacement” or credit to purchase replacements - $6.30 in points value is a far cry from $63.00 in seeds that didn’t sprout.

2 Likes