Looking to upgrade my light

Hey there @Veganbudz, I was just about to buy the same light for my 4x4 and it sounds like you are having wonderful results with it, including coverage.

I don’t personally understand which is the correct light, everyone has there own personal opinions but I truly App your feedback.

2 Likes

Correct light: There is no correct light, per say. You can lean towards a Veg or Bloom or you can go FULL SPECTRUM which will take your plants across the journey from seedling to cropped.
The basics are - voltage, type of led’s (Samsung Lm301H (horticulture - great for Hydro grows) or Lm301b for Hydro-less. But both types will work), amount of led’s, spectrum (3000, 35000, 4000, 5000 + IR (infrared) and UV (ultra violet). Last 2 work on the Turpin’s. Size of tent (or grow space - I grow in an 8x4 that is 6.5 ft high but use only half. The other half I store equipment). I have 3 separate environments, 1 for "Sprouting my seeds), another for the 1st stage of growth (in a 39mm peat pod) and then stage 3 for getting to 3/4/5 node where I begin my training. From there, they go into the Master Tent for growth.
I went with 640w, Inventronics driver ( a little cheaper than MeanWell but better intensity control (powers the lights and gives brightness control)),Full spectrum 3200K;6500K;660nm, 8 bars ( I like the coverage area better in bars than a standard square board - this way light disperses better and PAR values are more spread across my grow area). 2,592 lights ttl (8 x 324). I can concentrate on Veg to Bloom here and start my girls under other conditions. I use VIPARSPECTRA Latest XS1500 LED (coupon brought it to $140, and this was same price as the 1000 alternate units) This is for training the girls, I use Beelux 1000W LED Grow Light for Indoor Plants Full Spectrum Upgrade Dual Switch for getting them from sprouts to Training and I use “AeroGarden” to propagate the seeds

2 Likes

I understand how you have your set up and why you choose to use three different spaces. That then requires different lights for each phase, which you prefer a certain type of light for each one. It’s funny, someone just gave me an AeroGardening Machine, it is hydro but I don’t do hydro. Could I still use it for germination? It uses miracle grow pods but could I use peat pods instead, or switch out seeds? Let me know what you think about that please @Mb53004.

1 Like

I took out the water tank and just use the light

That is the platform of my Aero you see with my sprouts. I covered a keyboard box with foil and use it as the foundation. The timer / clock is PERFECT and you can adjust the light up/down. I used to switch to 3" peat cups here but since I have those other lights and boxes, I can leave each light in a designated box and just move the plants as they age
A pic just now

These little ladies will go to box 1, grown till train time (7-10 days) and transplanted to 3" peat pots before heading to box 2 and fina;l tent in 3 gal cloth bags (for auto), 5 gal for Pheno
Thing is, had the lights

5 Likes

That’s again, as I said someone just gave it too me and I was thinking this would be great way to start them. Although, I didn’t want to do hydro but thought the light was perfect size for the project. I see you we’re thinking the same thing. I can’t thank you enough for sharing.

2 Likes

Go with a full spectrum LED that way you can take a plant from seedling to harvest without adjusting the spectrum.

The Spiderfarmer SF4000 is definitely the best bang for your buck. It has Samsung LEDs, meanwell drivers and can put out over 1000 PAR at 24” for under $600.

Most LEDs are pretty good however, you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

@Veganbudz that’s what I was thinking something simplistic, yet LED for cost effective regarding electricity. It’s full spectrum and has the coverage needed for a 4x4 area. Thanks for your input!

1 Like

If you really want to go budget light I got these off Amazon for about a $150 each 1500 W and they have been on for exactly one year with no problems at all in the plants love them.

Exlenvce 1200W 1500W LED Grow… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZYKTTY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

3 Likes

@dmtscravey I already have a budget light that works well. I just wanted to upgrade since I’m not yielding as much as I would like.

I went for high quality and value with the one I just ordered. It’s supposedly comparable to the spider farmer sf4000 and it was only $519 at the time.

It was my compromise light for myself so I didn’t spend $1000 or more on a professional custom light I was building.

I’ll still get a pro custom light one of these days, but not for a few years.

I still have to finish getting my room built and get out of the tent.

2 Likes

I’m jealous I thought I was splurging for the $150 light lol.

6 Likes

@dmtscravey the selling point for me is that they let me get it on credit $20 a week so I didn’t come fully out of pocket for it. One of the perks of having good credit when you need an upgrade.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Parfectworks 500w cree cob led lights for about a year now. And I can feel the difference in the hardness of my buds. Only ina 2x4 tent. If I keep the room my tents are in at a good temp my tents don’t go over 78°.
The par value is very good…

2 Likes

@Mrb53004 i’m just a poor wayfaring stranger :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:grin: Romping Cat Piss Smell :sunglasses: that ones going back red soon

2 Likes

@Mrb53004 OMG lmfao :rofl: i thought i was the only one who did that. Great minds think a like! I sprouted my girls on this run from my Aerogarden.

1 Like

@Mrb53004 may favorite words, “it’s all Fun” :grinning:

3 Likes

@SeenDog what size? LMAO!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Behind The Door Style17 Days

1 Like

Anyone recommend a PAR, LUX or similar device? Even phone app if it is good. I need to do some testing in my tent and I have a new light coming before CHRISTMAS that I will want to test -8 bars, 640w, 2500+ Lm301b, IR, UV too

2 Likes

You’ll need a LED specific light meter. They are called quantum light meters. Not cheap. The older ones do not read LED lights properly.

2 Likes

@Mrb53004 @Rye is correct. To read led light effectively since they are designed with par in mind and not lumens or lux you need a quantum meter. Apogee has a few “cheap” models right now sitting between $300 and $500 with their high end epar quantum meters and sphere meters running upwards of $5000.

2 Likes

NOT! I guess I am going to just have to guess, move my lights or controls (dim / bright) becasue I won’t spend as much on a meter as I spend on my lights. There has to be something that is cheap and comes close to the Apogee (and similar).
I am positive not everyone here has a “quantum meter”. There are so many youtube hacks using multiplication and free apps that have to at least give a general idea of the PAR of a light. What are the rest of you using?

2 Likes