Looking to upgrade my light

@Rye I’ve thought about that myself. I’ve been looking at UV bulbs and fixtures too. How does it work as supplemental lighting for you?

MDBuds, Have you thought of making your own? Supplies and instructions are available all over the web.

I’ve looked into that as well @Mrb53004. I’m working on designing my own light too to see if it would be cost effective but there’s so much misinformation and false advertisements even for just buying diodes and drivers it’s ridiculous. It’s taking me longer to source that than manufactured lights. :joy:

1 Like

You are correct. I have sorted through it but it really wasn’t worth my time and I did not have all the necessary tools. Dollar for dollar it was well worth it. I sourced Samsung chips (not from China) and cost was low. Drivers are readily available and you can pretty much replace all components from high priced lights for 40 to 60% of cost. They get $$ for labor and sticking service and warranty behind it. I would have had to make the tool investment and I got little ones so TIME is restricted. I also don’t get to see as much of my wife as I would like to. Sometimes it is easier to bite the bullet and pay.

1 Like

Will let you know next grow. Just got it, well the bulb anyway.

2 Likes

I have a used viperspectra 600w 2 cycle veg and bloom refletor. Fits 4×4 tent 1 and a half years old still under warranty, $60 you pay shipping, works great as u can see!.

4 Likes

Like i said i upgraded my light, i have a 600w led 2 cycle veg and bloom viperspectra reflector series, still have 2 year warranty will let it go for 60 bucks you pay shipping comes with 6ft cord daisy chain cord and hanging kit.

I am looking for opinions - I am on alibaba looking at 600/700w leds
Kingbrite - 3012h (around 540 plus 105 ship)
Gavita Pro 1700e Replacement
LuxGrow
they are all pretty much around $500 + ship (anywhere from 100-200)
opinions please?

Tim, I am working on buying some high end lights out of china. This would finish off my 4x8x6.5 tent. If I do not decide to go quantum quality or just flat out get scared of buying direct from mfg, I will take yours. It will be good enough to use on my babies. If someone comes along, my loss. Gimme cpl weeks to decide

Take your time, it is a good light under warranty is rated for 100.000 hours used about a year 2 cycle veg &bloom fits a 4×4×80 tent.

I am waiting to see what China comes back with. Right now, the Gavita Pro 1700e is at 377.00. Issue is they want over deuce to ship it. Puts me at about 600. I am waiting on the Kingbrite 600 with samsung 301h (newer bulbs). The came back at 499 plus 105 ship but not till december, backlogged orders. Means it would be a NEW BUILD. Decisions, decisions. I will let you know asap

I stayed with viperspectra but bought 1 with the samsung chips and more power, never heard of those brands but stay away from mars they suck, viperspectra is in us you will pay mad shipping from china but do what u feel is best but check out viperspectra there may be a model you like and shipping is free, or you.can go on grow ace and buy a brand new mh/ hps with ballast hood and fan for 100 bucks but they throw off allot of heat but they come with everything including the 2 bulbs more expensive models have fans, mine has 2 fans and heat sinks so it runs cool. But do what u feel is best im not hurting for cash just trying to help someone out i paid over 2 bills for my light but it weighs 9lbs i dont know where you live or how much shipping would cost, i not in any hurry i dont need mony so look around and take your time, i have a California light works cob bloom booster that ran me north of 6 bills. Im not in a rush but i have it on thc farmer so maybe someone will snap it up. First come first served.

Mars now uses Samsung diodes and quality drivers. They just put out a new FC line.
I wouldn’t say that they suck. They have products to fit every budget…just like Vipar.
I’m not saying they are my favorite. They do run a bit hotter than my HLG but than again most lights do.I run HLG, Nextlight and Mars.
I’ve seen folks with $2000 lights fail and growers with much cheaper fixtures knock it out of the park. One of my mentors consistently grows some of the most beautiful autoflowers that I’ve seen out of a cardboard wardrobe with an $80 Oneo light and a couple of cpu fans. Knowing what to do with a light goes a long way.

A good option is to grab some of the HLG 120 boards, some L channel, a good driver like a Meanwell and a wiring kit. Build your own. You can get pretty close to the canopy with the 120s. I run 288s that need a heatsink. The 120s don’t.
You can do the same with the Samsung led strips. You would want to space them about 3" apart for spread. These are nice because you get even coverage wall to wall instead of a central hot spot that drops off drastically at the perimeter.
The Photontek and the new Mars FC lights are set up as such. I don’t think the Mars has detachable strips.

3 Likes

I finally found a steal i couldn’t pass up. It’s the elegant grow light 4000w sold on wayfair. $519 with free shipping. 400 watts Samsung lm301b diodes and got it on credit $20 a week. Specs out almost exactly like the spider farmer SF4000.

2 Likes

Cool. Enjoy your new toy MDB.
Has excellent diodes, you should be really happy with it.

Also…wasn’t aware that Wayfair has grow lights. Interesting.
I did see some 62% dry herbal storage sachets at Walmart so the Wayfair thing makes perfect sense to me.

2 Likes

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdx/elegant-plant-grow-light-eegn1571.html

Looks like a cool light.
I would keep an eye on your temps. Two drivers and flat aluminum can cause heat issues.
Depends upon how hot the drivers and boards run but I’d add a fan right away.

I run one on all of my lights anyway

I have fans going already and I’m getting set up for my winter grow with no heater so heat should be fine.

Who needs a heater when your light keeps your plants from frosting over at night? :joy:

1 Like

I run mine the same way. I close my room vent and let the lights heat the room.

It slightly offsets running the AC for four months straight.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your input, it means alot. I am currently negotiating with China

1. ERT ETL Listed Samsung Lm301h Foldable 660W Full Spectrum LED Grow Light for Greenhouse
    Unit price $449.0 ship $70, 21 days
  2. Gavita Pro 1700e Replacement, Spider Bar 660W, best choice for farmer using, Samsung LM301H $540 + $125 ship 6-10 days
  3. Horticulture Greenhouse Dimmable Samsung Lm301H Lm301B Full Spectrum Indoor Led Plant Grow Lamp 700W leg8 unit include shipping totally $580
    4 -awaiting specs Best High Efficacy Waterproof High Power Lamp 640W Plant Led Grow $377 FOB China
3 Likes