Light information please

i have both Led and the new natural sunlite like lites .i have to say i like the natural sunlite like lites best for many different reasons.first off i believe they produce more yield of product, next, you dont need a special pair of glasses to look at ur plants,the lighting looks like ur looking with normal lighting ,no blurple color like the LEDS.thirdly they dont require as much electricity as the LEDS.big thing is to stick with the known brands,sf,mars hydro,ect.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @jonesnomo. Glad you found us.

2 Likes

I am looking at the Mars hydro 1000 for about 4 plant

2 Likes

Is that enough light for 4 plants?

1 Like

I have that light. I am running it for 3. Working out great so far.

2 Likes

Pushing it for 4, depending on your grow space (sqft) if you train your plants then yes. That light is 150w, in a 2×2 you will be fine, a 3×3 and it really drops at the edges.

1 Like

We were discussing this on alternate heading. The Mars 1000 is a good light but the VIPARSPECTRA Latest XS1500 LED Grow Light Compatible with Samsung LM301B Diodes (IR Included) & MeanWell Driver, Dimmable Full Spectrum Plant Grow Light for Indoor Plants Seeding Veg and Bloom ](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CH9DSSB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) XS1500 is only a few dollars more and you get a bigger sweet spot. I found a $35 coupon and it wound up $147

2 Likes

Here is some information I found on lighting For growing cannabis.

5 Likes

This touches on a serious issue @dmtscravey, the long term cost of growing. This is something we all lack in, generally speaking. When you get down to pennines/grams over a long term things change drastically. And that’s if the fixture last 3 years. So much of today’s products are built to be disposable very little is built for long term use anymore.

5 Likes

Do not forget this fluctuates with the cost of Electricity. I do not know about you but our energy provider keeps getting increases 2/3 times a year.
It is easy to see the increase in PAR as the units go up in price. Thankfully the efficiency of the units also goes up as R&D replaces units with better components. That means we have to continually upgrade our equipment over the years.
All this reverts back to ROI -return on investment. Not added in here is all the associated cost (cooling, dehumidifying, humidifying, exhaust, tents, tubes, motors, and nutrients / water systems. It is easy to see why the dispensaries can charge so much and take into account the unfair tax practices on the growers. This is why I gave up growing for profit. When you added my time in there, it was a major expense.
Now, its just me, a few little plants here and there, everywhere, to occupy my time as it is my hobby. I meet cool associates who are filled with a myriad of knowledge and experience.
It is a great social site filled with some cool dudes and dudettes
I grow for clean erb, free of chems, sweet taste, purity. It can be difficult to hold back as I want to grow everything again. My patience gets taxed when I have all these seeds and have to restrict myself to maybe a dozen to 15 plants per grow. Then WAIT until I can do the next crop. By then, a new strain comes out and I want that too. If I window shop (as most of us do to see what we would like, what we could afford, what is new) I tens to start spending again. Prior to HG, I really on grew fems outdoors for the summer. Now I am back to a tent 80x48x96, 2 sets of lights, 3 and 5 gal grow bags, organic nutrients and amendments, drying closet, humidifier, etc. Now I need an exhaust fan, tubing, maybe a filter. It is easy to get out of control, especially when you have a passion for this as most of the people I met here have.

7 Likes

I just started using this light from Amazon:

Under $100 at 2000 Watts using Samsung LEDs.
3 Likes

I like my HLG 300L r-spec. I did veg and flower in a 4x4 tent this go round with no issues. They cost right now about $450. It’s dimmable for veg versus flower and is LED so it will stay cooler. You will still need a good ventilation system, I’d get a 6 inch over a 4 inch because you will still get heat from LED and it needs to go somewhere lol.

2 Likes

I have the Mars Hydro TS 1000 and it wasn’t enough for 2 of my plants once they get bigger, so I went with a HLG 300L. Better spectrum and coverage.

1 Like

Have a 1 and a half year old viperspectra 600w 2 cycle veg and bloom still under warranty, good for 100.000 hours, used about 1 year and upgraded $60 you pay shipping comes with 6ft plug and hanging kit, a good light and a good deal new $155 + shipping.

6 Likes

I have great luck with HGTs Raw series of led lights there adjustable for light output and they are good for all the growth. Phases and I keep it about 18 inches from the canopy top. I hope this will help you out. They have a 5/5 veg area and a 4/4 flowering. Hope you have a wonderful time with your garden. Best Regards Robert S Raper

1 Like

I just got that light a week ago. I’m liking it but most importantly my girls seem to be loving them

2 Likes

I just got 2 more to replace some older lights. I’m having great luck with these, and the price is right!

1 Like

While there are so many different light choices out there now, being a newbie i would probably go with a nice LED light. Something like the mars hydro or spider farmer brand. Although there are cheaper brands out there these 2 brands seem to carry their weight when it comes to great specs and ease of setup and use. Do a little research and I’m sure you will find what you need.

1 Like

I got some mars hydro 2000 tsl 300w they are pretty nice. About what i expected after reserching it a bit. Have not put plants under them yet but they seem to be a fair deal at 250 a light. Comes out to 32 watts per sq ft if i remember right.

2 Likes

I found some 450 w cob led lights made buy Durwood Productions Company in Durant Ok. They cost the same and have 56 watt psf. I was blown away buy these lights definitely high quality. As with the mars hydro i have not started plants under them yet ( still waiting on permits ) but have really high expectations for these.

1 Like