Light information please

Hi, I’m a newbie trying to set up a little growing area for 4 plants. I’m getting lost on the types of lamps available and I don’t want to change the lighting system when the plants go to flower…any suggestions on an inexpensive lighting system that will cover all phases of growth? Thank you very much for any responses.

6 Likes

Try LED’s. They are getting fantastic reviews.

5 Likes

Thank you, I’ve been reading that as well but I’m wondering on a brand or size. I’m liking the SpiderFarmer SF2000 but does it really only grow 2 plants at a time?

4 Likes

Welcome @Kris, here are a few conversations going now. I myself like LEDs and spider farmers also, but I’m pretty new. I have a spider farmer 1000 growing like 8 plants or something stupid, so you can do more than two, but probably better to just have fewer because I have definitely overdone it. :laughing:

4 Likes

LMAO growing 8 under a 1000? Cool! Looks like I’m going to try 3 or 4 then. I’ve been amazed at the size of buds on this site. I last grew about 25 years ago using fluorescent bulbs… I’m so anxious to get into the swing of things again but so much to learn about what is now available! Thank you for your response :slight_smile:

5 Likes

or actually 15 with the 2 small seedlings :sweat_smile: oof, was supposed to be my starter tent, but the other one isn’t quite finished yet

That has a spider farmer 1000 and vivarspectra 1500

7 Likes

Looks like you are going to have to come up with something ‘magical’ when those plants get bigger! The ones that are budding sure look tasty!

5 Likes

For inexpensive lighting that will give you bang for you buck I would recommend maxisun pb2000. It covers a 3x3 area for flower I would recommend two pb2000 for 4 plants all the way through flower.
MAXSISUN High Performance PB2000 LED Grow Lights with Samsung LEDs and Sosen Driver, Full Spectrum Growing Lamps for Hydroponics Indoor Plants from Seedling to Harvest in a 3 x 3 ft Grow Tent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083432HQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_TWFGFbMT3AWXP

6 Likes

I use leds by hlg, I 100% stand by them!

7 Likes

Thank you so much for your very informative response! This light seems to cover a wider area then the Spider Farmer SF2000. Happy growing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you Brad, I appreciate your response :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Kris there are a couple threads about this exact topic. Lights are a tough topic. Most of us use LED lights due to lower operating cost, less electricity and heat. What brand is up to the individual, most use the same components, with varying degrees of cost, efficiency, warranty etc.

As for 1 light to cover veg and flower, your gonna want something in the spectrum of 3500k or below, 4000k and above is great for veg, 3000k and below is great for flower.

Look for a light that has additional red in it, but is still full spectrum.

My personal recommendations are HLG, spider farmer, mars, vivosun. In that order.

It seems very intimidating at first blush, mostly because of the jargon, but keep researching and reading and you will feel better about any decision you make.

5 Likes

Thank you Rye! Yes…my head was spinning a bit after spending hours looking for recommendations and reviews. I did settle for the Spider Farmer SF2000 due to limited area and $$$.

Thank you for sharing the difference of needs between veg. And flowering. Many years ago when I grew it was from seeds I found in bags. Now that I’m paying for good seeds I would love to do things to maximize what is possible. Thanks again!

6 Likes

You are more than welcome. There is a lot of information out there about lights, and even more misinformation. Plus theres a million different ways of growing cannabis. The light you chose is a proven light. And its design means it’s small enough you can add another light in the future if you so choose. Good luck with your grow and please keep us updated. As much fun and good things come from me growing my own medicine, I enjoy even more seeing others start their journey of independence

4 Likes

Hey there Kris, I’m new myself but learned the hard way about cheap lighting. I read above that someone posted about HLG LED lights. I started with a Mars Hydro light for a few plants. Seemed a great deal, similar to Spider Farms. Then I got past the seedling stage and the light just wasn’t making the girls grow much. I saved up and got the HLG 300L R-spec. Huge, huge difference im growth and overall health of the plants. Mine are in week one of flower and lights are good to go.

4 Likes

LOL…and to me, $300.00 for a light seemed like a lot! Thank you for your input. I will put that HLG light on my ‘wish list’. I would love to grow something like some of the pictures I’ve seen posted here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@CoolBubs Viparspectra has some nice lights. I just bought the new model and its a beast!!

3 Likes

Welcome @Highwayman to the forum. Glad to have you and always Happy Growing :blush:

3 Likes

@2Grow4Love yeah the plants seem to dig the vivarspectra, love all these new LEDs!

3 Likes

Holy Moly! That is a tight but AWESOME grow! Sweeet.
Warmly,
Jackie

3 Likes