How to Transplant your plant

If you’re growing photoperiod plants, it makes sense to keep them in the “right size” pot. This will make watering and the feeding process much simpler. The right size pot for you will depend on what you have available and what size plants you’re trying to grow.

When transplanting, a general rule of thumb is to double the size of the pot.

I start in 4” pots - solo cup size. After that, I have some 1.5 gallon “training” pots where I’ve drilled holes along the rim for tying branches down. I’ve also some got 3 gallon plastic pots I’ve given the same treatment to. Different sizes may work better for you.

Before you consider transplanting, the plant should have filled the current pot. A couple of signs where it might be ready is when the leaf canopy is extending beyond the edges of the pot (the best measure), or if the soil in the pot is pulling away from the sides between waterings.

Before I start yanking plants from their current homes, I like to have everything prepared. The plant has been watered in well, a few hours prior. I have a bin of my soil mix ready, new pots lined up, mycorrhizae - everything I need.

I get an estimate of the amount of soil to add to the bottom of the new pot by placing the old pot + plant inside the new one. I like to use the bin as a temporary landing spot for the root ball; so I like to smooth out the soil in there first.

I like to turn the pot 90 degrees and let any loose dry soil fall back in to the bin. I try to keep it from hitting the leaves but you’ll have some that inevitably does. That’s why I like to save any leaf pruning I’ve got planned until after.

While supporting the stem and root ball, tip the pot a little more and try to dump it into your hand and slide the old pot off. Don’t yank on the stem - squeeze and work the old pot a little if it won’t go. Sometimes if it’s been in the old pot too long it gets stuck. Give it a shake if you need to.

Once it’s out carefully set it in the bin in the prepared spot. Apply mycorrhizae if using and transfer the plant to the new container. Place the new container in the bin and start filling the new pot.

Once it about halfway full, I like to “seat” the plant. You can still move it a little at this point. Press down on the root ball and adjust as needed.

When I’m filling the new pot I don’t press down to compact the soil - I want it loose. With plastic pots, I like to give them a little controlled drop to settle everything - I sort of tap it on the floor a couple times, then add more soil as needed. With fabric pots, I shake the sides repeatedly as I’m filling.

8 Likes

Im going from my 8" pots to 18" pots this weekend… I used a tarp but the bin thing seems better! Thanks for the idea.

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 @Kojak :laughing: i’m lazy, i just plant once

3 Likes

Think I’ve learned a couple of things this first grow. Fewer plants, no transplants and lots of chiropractic and LST! You grow beautiful flowers.

3 Likes

@Kojak 50 years of growing and i still learn. that’s the fun

3 Likes

:v: HGCC all the Way

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 When I transplant, best tip I can give is…

Keep your plant in its current pot. Fill your new bigger pot with drainage/soil/medium/etc. Dig out a mold and put little pot in the mold, pack soil around little pot. You now have a planted plastic pot (haha, get it? Pot of pot!). Remove to see a perfect mold, same shape and size as current pot. THEN take your lady out of the little pot and drop her snuggly into her new home.

I found that most people end up damaging root balls if they just scoop dirt/soil/medium out of their larger pot and then drop them in the hole. Roundish hole, conical peg…why not conical hole, conical peg? They don’t even notice they’ve been transplanted until they stretch their roots out (imaging a root ball yawning!) and they no longer touch the sides!

Stress training may be good for plants, but I personally don’t think having a portion of your roots broken off is beneficial!

3 Likes

I love useing the jeffy pods i tried them out this grow i have going and they promote root growth you like you said @CurrDogg420 pot in pot lol

2 Likes

@spudgunner Yep, that method works too. I do something similar, I wrote about it but regrettably didn’t include a pic.

I keep the plant in its current pot, then when I fill the bottom of the new pot, I use it as sort of a “story stick” to gauge the right amount.

My #1 tip, and it not even close, is timing, timing, timing. If you transplant too early, that’s when your root ball crumbles. If you wait too long, it gets stuck and that’s when you’ll damage the roots.

This one was ideal by my estimation. The roots just reached bottom. It popped right out and it never even knew I transplanted it. The next couple days it hit a growth spurt.

1 Like

@CurrDogg420 Exactly! But if you “buried” that plant in the holder and then removed, it’s like taking a knife out of its sheath and then putting it right back in. And agree, care must be taken not to damage them however you do this (yes, I do it inside an old rabbit cage bottom to control the mess!)

Everyone has their way of doing it. If I know WHY someone is doing it that way, I may try it.

Weird tip…At Hallowe’en, put your pumpkin on some newspaper, get a Sharpie and trace around the BOTTOM of the pumpkin. Cut that out and gut, carve your face etc.
WHY?

1. You don’t get the Charlie Brown friar haircut look at the top of your pumpkin
  2. You can cut right up to the handle, so more real estate for carving
  3. You don’t burn your fingers trying to light that damn candle!
    Now once people read this, I bet at least 1 person will go “Cool idea, gotta try that next year!” since they know WHY I gut my pumpkins upside-down!
    Same with transplanting. Or LST, Kushman Chiropractic, Lollipopping, etc.
    Many things are counter-intuitive, but if I know why something works, I’ll try it, if I can’t understand why, then it was probably a hair-brained idea! LOL! Like gutting pumpkins.
2 Likes

I have some going now that i used left over pods on I’ve transferred in 1gal pots im trying to hold them back til my others finish out then im going to put in feed sacks i was telling you about my wife is sewing the ends closed then im going to lay them on there side and make 6x6 hole in and wife going to hymn the holes i got cut out fill them as full as i can with soil trying something different 50lb bags

2 Likes

Did you use Home grown Plant Powerups to grow yours?? Looks really great!!