First time grower with a few questions

I would let them dry out then transplant them they be fine

2 Likes

I gave mine a little fish meal in the bottom of the hole when I transplanted… Read it somewhere that it helps the roots thrive… Sorta like a fish to a corn seed I reckon😉

2 Likes

I’d pot the solo in the middle of the bag, water enough to make the soil stick when molded, pull the cup out of the hole, gently snip the cup down the side with scissors in two spots, and gently peel it like a banana, and place it into the waiting hole.

4 Likes

Thank you I will give it a shot.

1 Like

My babies looking really good @ 1week. Definitely going to transplant over the weekend. @CurrDogg420 how am I looking sir.

3 Likes

That’s great growth for a week! It might be a little early for transplant though, in my estimation.

I’ve never lost a weed plant so far but I always lose some percentage of my veggie garden seedlings when I transplant out of the 1” cell packs. Ive tried both letting them dry out and shortly after watering. Ive probably lost an equal amount both ways.

The problem in every case was that there was simply not enough roots to hold on to the soil. If they’re dry, they come out of the pot easily, but without enough roots to hold the soil together it crumbles. If they’re watered, there’s a better chance of the soil holding together, but it wants to stick to the sides of the pot so that pretty much cancels out.

Your next set of leaves should be a 5-er. Let those get to the size of the large leaves you have now, and then transplant. That will probably be sometime this week.

You can estimate the extent of the root zone by sort of imagining your canopy upside down. That will be an important measure after you transplant to the larger pot as well. At first you want to gradually increase the amount of water you’re giving - you don’t need to saturate all of the soil until the plant can actually uptake that much within 2-3 days.

I wrote a post a while back showing how I transplant.

2 Likes

Appreciate the info. I was just a little concerned as they are auto’s. Didn’t want to wait too long to put them into their final home. But I will wait for those 5-ers. I water once every other day or so.

1 Like

@Mackerel, it turns out, I can show you an example.

Banana Kush fem (ILGM), 17 days old. I was planning to transplant around day 21, but I decided to take a look where they were at.

The roots have just reached bottom and haven’t begun to circle back on themselves. This to me is ideal timing.

4 Likes

If you want to get the latest news about cannabis news then visit the site cannabis news

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 I know you said to wait and I should have but if no mistakes aren’t made then it’s too easy lol. I transplanted on Sunday and gave a lite feed, got a little nervous as they did nothing for 2 days but Wednesday they were back up again. I will definitely wait 2 weeks before transplanting next time. They are now about a week and half above ground. @DollarBill what you think sir.

3 Likes

@Mackerel :100: sharp looking genetics and beautiful grow. i’m sure everyone’s going to say that. Exact Twins

1 Like

@Mackerel @CurrDogg420 @Daddy1971 i can’t say it enough …Merry Christmas and :skunk: Skunky Pine Cone Smelling - Blueberry Tasting Buds LoL

2 Likes

Merry Christmas @DollarBill happy new year

2 Likes

@Daddy1971 you to Big Dad, put cookies and a joint out for Santa Chong :laughing: Merry Christmas

2 Likes

They look good! I don’t think it counts as a mistake if there was no harm - no foul.

We hit a little growth spurt here in the new pots. My twins had twins! We’re continuing our training today. I topped them after the 3rd set and now today we’re starting to do some stretches.

5 Likes

So Mary is officially 2 weeks old from out the ground and Jane is 12 days. 2 days apart. Can I count them as both 2 weeks, reason being I would want to keep them both on the same schedule. The only thing I did differently between the 2 is Mary was placed in the tent 2 days after she came out the soil and I kept jane under the starter light in the open. Both were running 24hrs lighting. Going to run the lights on 24hrs for another week and will then switch to 18/6 schedule.
This is Mary

And Jane

4 Likes

@CurrDogg420 @Northcountryguy @Daddy1971 @DollarBill please feel free to chime in your input is always appreciated.

1 Like

One thing to do is elevate it a bit more so that it’s at least even with the other one.

Another great way to deal with it is to do some of the sort of training that I showed. The stems are young enough to where you could rub them between your fingers a little bit and soften them up. Do this about halfway up the stem. Then gently start to bend it over about 90 degrees and tie it down so it stays that way. Or just keep working it on watering days.

That solves your height issue and creates an opening for some of those underneath branches to develop more. When they flower your colas form at the tip of each branch. More branches more colas.

3 Likes

I will try to study your technique and see how it goes.

1 Like

This is a must watch video if you haven’t seen it. The first part he shows is a technique called “schwazzing”. You’re not there yet. The second part he shows his “super cropping” techniques and talks about this type of bending.

4 Likes