Gelato in first tent

Here is my Gelato from Homegrown Cannabis Co. as of 6/13/23. It didn’t have pairs of leaves, only the singles were in a pair. Odd.

1 Like

Here she is today. Growing nicely. She is in a 3 gal air pot in soil.
I have grown in the crawlspace, closets, and outside guerrilla style, but this is the first time in a tent. I have an Infinity 2’x3’ tent, none of the fancy bells and whistles, yet.

1 Like

Lights are an off brand. I couldn’t get the Green Beams 240 lights that I wanted, so I settled for the En-Fun EF 2000 lights. The stats are similar and they checked all the boxes. I wanted around 200w, a dimmer, and a separate driver that could be mounted inside or outside the tent, depending on the temperature. This also has the newer 301 leds that I wanted.

This is the full tent. Starting on the left we have Emily, s1 from Emma (bag seed I believe to be GSC from Michigan), Top middle is Gelato, right is a male cutting of Meow Daddy from @MDBuds and bottom middle is Ru. Each one has their own story. Fun fact, Gelato was planted 3 days after Ru, and Emily 2 weeks after Gelato.

1 Like

So far, everything about this grow has been in flux. The Gelato has grown really slowly, the Meow Daddy (MD) was supposed to be female, Ru was only planted because I was having problems germinating Gold Leaf Auto, and then I got one seed from a plant that my wife liked very much, so I had to plant it. Thirty-five gr of dried, trimmed, and cured bud, and the last bud has one seed in it. Kismet? Emily and Ru have not shown signs of gender yet and I haven’t grown more than one plant at a time in 35 yrs. It is a good thing I’m retired.

1 Like

Well you have 4x the amount of Meds growing now! Which means you don’t have to squeeze every Bud out of a Single Plant: good luck with it i am set to watching :eyes:

1 Like

Great to hear from you @Chasworks !

1 Like

Emily got topped this morning. I like to top (fim) above the second set of matching leaves. In this case the pairs went: 1,3,5,7,9, and 9. Topped above the second nine. One of these days I will make it to 11. There is no particular reason, just like a batter spitting between pitches. As with everything about this plant, the top was perfect, bent it over and snapped right off. Nice and clean. I will have 12 main tops unless I decide to remove the lower ones if they just can’t keep up.

1 Like

Oops, looks like Emily is Emile, not an S1. Sometimes these things happen.
I still have Gelato and Ru. Neither has shown yet, which is good because they are both a couple weeks older, and females tend to reveal later than males.

2 Likes

Have you ever thought of isolating and collecting pollen? Then selective pollenate a lower branch or two: i was thinking i would like to do it at some point :yin_yang:

1 Like

@Chasworks That’s exactly what I have planned, only I plan on using the pollen from the Meow Daddy(MD). I am only going to pollinate the Gelato. The MD is a 1:1 cbd to thc cultivar from @MDBuds. My Wife has MS and needs something to help relax her legs and help her to sleep. We have some in the evening but she likes it with a little more kick, so I want to mix the two and see what I get. Buds will eventually come up with something, but I just don’t want to waste his genetics. I am no breeder and don’t really know what I am doing, he does. I just want to give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion though.

1 Like

These are the three plants left for this grow. Gelato (top), Ru (bottom), and MD (right). The Gelato seems to be catching up nicely, still not pairs. But that’s okay.
Lights at 80% , ppfd is average of 600, temp today is 80 deg F. Watered yesterday with ph adjusted rainwater. It needs a lot less to get in range. Lowered from 7.8 to 6.7. My tap water comes out at 8.7 and rainwater doesn’t have to sit for a day or so to evaporate the chlorine.
The MD is male and was popped on 4/20. Initially I was going to start a Gold Leaf auto and 3 weeks or so into flower then start the MD, but couldn’t get the GLA to pop. I am now 0 for five with that cultivar. Perplexing. So when the MD turned out to be male, I started these other seeds. Because MD was so far ahead of the others, I took a cutting (clone) of the MD to get the age to match and reclaim my 5 gal pot. No sense using a 5 gal pot for a male, so now the clone is in a 1 gal. I think that 5 gal air pot is jinxed, second male for that pot. LOL

1 Like

I Feel your pain on the non germ genetic! I had the same thing happen to me in the past not 1 of 7 seeds of the Genetics Popped while other genetics popped during the same drop! It happens i told my self as the Bank wasn’t goingvto replace them! :yin_yang:

1 Like

What kind of medium is that?

@Snowyroads I haven’t talked about my soil yet. I use mostly Fox Farm Happy Frog. The 2 gal pot with Ru has FFHF with a couple of hand spades of my garden soil a handful of worm castings and Chicken Poo, mostly worked into the bottom and sides. The GLA was supposed to go in there.
The 3 gal air pot has about 3/4 reused soil from my last grow with grow dots mixed in along with the other stuff in the 2 gal.
The 1 gal plastic pot has half FFHF and FFOF. I thought about reusing some of my wife’s old flower potting soil, but I just couldn’t do that with Bud’s genetics,
Oh yeah, I make a kind of nest for transplanting into of a starting soil.

Up until this grow, I had been growing only one plant at a time indoors in a closet I’m finally getting out of the closet. LOL

1 Like

That’s a lot of different soil recipes to keep track of

2 Likes

Not so much recipes as just using what I have. I like to have the bottom a little richer than the top. I don’t want to burn young plants, but I want the soil to give them everything they need with only water until flower, when I add Flower Fuel.
I got a bag of Chicken Poo for $1.29 at the big box store, so I am trying it out. I always add a little of our garden soil for luck. We always have worm castings (Costco) because my Wife adds some to her flowers mid season. I found a local nursery that carries a full line of Fox Farms products, so I thought I’d try some Ocean Forrest. No real recipes, just good soil to get through veg easily.

1 Like

Topped the other two plants and stapled Gelato.

1 Like

Emile is a real monster, too bad.

1 Like