First time harvesting ! need help

Hey guys im new to growing and the community I am recently at the last time into flower of my Skywalker OG about 4 week into flower in dwc I researched and sought out the equipment needed to try to identify ready peak point how ever this is my first time and can not tell if its at its peak point or ready to harvest !

1 Like

Need some better pics brother some of the buds themselves would help. Try and get the Trichomes pics from the buds themselves.
I’m currently growing Sky OG in RDWC and am in the 7th week of flower. From just the one pic I’d say you were right on the money. Trichomes look cloudy.

This may help you

Also here’s some pics of what I mean.

2 Likes

Yours look amazing ! Very professional nice buds this is my first time ever and in dwc for me so I’m looking for all the help I can get and yes this is a piece of bud I yanked using tweezers from here exactly

I’m in between half cloudy and half clear but confused because I see a spec of amber, I’m looking for when it is most potent for medicinal factors but am unsure what I’m looking at now as I’m entering week 5 of flower …… also how soon do you start the flush with straight R.O water I believe 10 to 14 days but don’t want to miss the peak harvest window … please share your thoughts and thank you

1 Like

IMO, you want to give those white and light green pistils some time to mature. It also looks like most are milky right now. Again, IMO, harvesting with those new and immature pistils will give more earthy (chlorophyll) taste and it’s worth the couple week wait.
Edit: your tops will mature quicker than the rest of the plant. If you are worried about them over maturing, do a selective harvest of your tops and let the lower buds finish out…shouldn’t be more than a week or two approx.

3 Likes

Here are more pics i choose to stand still and get up close rather than pluck. A piece of bud off hope this gives a better

insight

1 Like

Like Jram_13 stated, give it a few more weeks. That will put you at just about week 7-8. What’s the flowering period for your plant? 8 wks, 8-9, 8-10? Also lots of white pistols still on those buds. Your getting really close, patience. It’s a hard thing to hear, believe me I’ve been waiting on my 5 Alive strain for almost a year, have about 10 days to go and it’s killing me. It’s worth the wait.

2 Likes

:v::slightly_smiling_face: all we have is time, i always let mine go full amber 36369

3 Likes

from these pics - READY—cloudy with amber. From here on out, degrades in potency
sometimes it is hard to see the trikes on the buds and they all mature at different times
A good indicator are the pistils on the stigmas
trich.pstl.hrvst

2 Likes

This is her today super excited to harvest her I will give a couple more days before the 7 to 10 day flush !

5 Likes

This is her today showing your beautiful colors and think she is ready !

So just to clarify now I can begin the 7 to 10 day flush then harvest ( cut her down)?? Or was I suppose to do that before and guesstimate when she is going to be ready or at peak point don’t know if this makes sense! :laughing: just trying to really get this down and afraid 7 to 10 more days she will be more than mature or more of amber which I don’t want !

1 Like

if you grew using organic nutrients, no need to flush
looks a little Nitrogen heavy which may have resulted in smaller buds, but that is OK
Also see a few white pistils, can be from light / nutes but the majority of the bud looks ready
If this is Indica heavy, it is already a sedative head so unless you want couch lock, letter rip
If a sativa hybrid, any more and you loose the energetic part of the high

1 Like

Sadly it’s not organic I used a nutrient line called dakine 420 and the strain is Sky walker OG. Through alot of learning curves I have experienced the problems I believe now can tackle a little better what can I do about the nitrogen ?

1 Like

nothing now…just do your flush from here on out…
I use ice cubes on the soil at darkness…it lowers the soil temp and helps the terps develop further (better taste, increased effects from the terpenes which can be as potent / more potent than thc, especially if you got medicinal going on). I also increase dark time. Winter is like 8 hours of light. By reducing the light / increasing the dark, thc increases.

1 Like

So low temps are key to lower nitrogen ?

1 Like

Low temps build triches and terpenes. (Signifies winter) The flush lowers your nitrogen. Happy growing!

3 Likes

If we’re mine I would wait till see 20% amber, you chop by trichome not ur pistols, if your trichome is 100% milky you can chop however the weed will go to your head, if you want a body high you need amber, so when I see 20% amber I know I will chop in 7 to 10 days, at this point I flush nutrients using cold tap water not ice water but cold water from the tap, this will not hurt your plants and make your pistols turn.

1 Like

My opinion…if you wait for 20% amber, you waited too long and have degradation of THC. Before we had scopes (and remember, many of us old timers have been at this over 30-40 years), we went by pistils
trich.pstl.hrvst
On average, we harvested somewhere between 8 and 9 weeks

4 Likes

won’t the buds picked during the selective harvest be harsh because the soil was not flushed?

1 Like

If you are using organic nutes, a flush is not necessarily needed. Lately, I had been flushing early and just feeding cold water and cubes. It helps to build the triches and terps. Good luck! To answer your question, yes, if you are using non organic elements in your grow. You could also use a cleansing agent such as Athena cleanse to provide a quicker flush time.

1 Like

Not to go off track, but I have wondered if the fall rains act as a flush? Like a more basic big picture nature cycle? My understanding where cannabis and humans crossed paths early on there were seasonal monsoons. Like before we shaped them w our hands of selection. Sorry just thinking out loud rather than any useful info. Like something I would talk about over a bowl round a camp fire w a bunch of grow buddies.

Or if the monsoons triggered the microbes to change during the flush, which then signal or trigger the plant thru the roots?

1 Like