DWC top water feed with air stones

This

is Granddaddy Bruce 4 weeks from seed in a paper towel to now. Using General Hydro nutrients and Hydroguard. Light is 1200W KingLED and water is never topped off just changed every 7 days with fresh nutrient solution. This is my first seed grow. Usually I am a cloner. Having that tap root makes a huge difference in growth and number of branches. These plants are about 9 inch tall have 11-12 branches…pretty amazing growth.

6 Likes

You’re doing amazing!!! Look at those beauties :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Got those ladies praying man. That’s a definite sign of some happy plants. Keep it up man. :v::call_me_hand::metal:

2 Likes

Welcome @retiredoldguy. Great looking setup. Beautiful plants.

3 Likes

@retiredoldguy i’m for sure watching this Good Meeting You Happy Holidays

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s comments and well wishes. I will update with pictures when I am ready to flip to bloom which should be soon. Plants have grown 4 inches since this post and they are stretching between branches now instead of growing more new branches.

3 Likes

@retiredoldguy sounds like you have some healthy genetics on your hands :wink:

2 Likes

These girls started fast but slowed down, maybe it was me since I am still learning my nutes. Left is 16 in and right is 18 in. after 6 weeks in the DWC with 24hr lighting. Heavy trim to them at 4 weeks and lite trims once each week to keep them growing in the right direction. Started some branch training on the right. Today I turn the lights back to 12/12 to start the budding. My lights have the Veg and Flower LED modes and I have only been using the Veg mode. Today I turn on both for the duration. I will update when they start to show trichomes.

Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Looking good. I am planning a new grow area now that will be hydro, most likely an ebb and flow. How is the maintenance system wise? As in do you find your self chasing the PH or fighting the water temp?

1 Like

For me, Chasing Ph mostly. If you have a reservoir and it is large, like a 55 gal, it usually stays close to the ambient temps of its surroundings. As long as it is not exposed to a location that has large temperature swings, it usually stays steady. It takes a while to move temps on a 55 Gal pail. Even half, doesn’t move in a few minutes…it takes hours. I used to keep a fish tank heater in mine. I used the 55gal drum to feed smaller containers (30 gal) and mixed there. I had a fresh water supply at all times and did my ph and nutes in the 30gal containers. Because we use pumps and air stones, that alone makes the ph swim. Add nutes to the mixture and as the microbe action begins, the ph reacts. I wound up only making a 2 day feed solution so I did not have to play with ph up / down. I had 2 of the 30 gal, each one for a different stage of growth as I had 4 rooms.

2 Likes

This is only my second DWC, prior I only used dirt. Hydroponics does grow faster but requires daily attention. What I have found in my situation and setup is that I do have to add PH up daily for the first 4 days after changing the water and then it stabilizes. I grow in a bedroom in my house so temperature is not an issue for me but humidity is in that sometimes I have to add moisture to my grow tent. My PPM goes up slightly each day and this is normal for my setup since I do not top off the water between changes. As long as the water is going down I know the plants are drinking and if they look good/show signs of growth, then they are taking in nutes even if the nutes ppm indicate they are leaching back. Good luck on your new setup!

3 Likes

32 days in flower mode and this is a very different plant from my White Widow experience. Hairs started showing 2 weeks back and today I decided to look at the trichomes. They are all cloudy already, bypassed clear in this short time period. Anyone else ever see this, I normally don’t see cloudy until buds have mostly formed???
Time wise in another 4 weeks they should be close to harvest, but I always use the trichomes as my decision maker. When they are ready to harvest I will post again to show the final grow.
a side note on CO2 and how it really does help…Since I cannot rotate these plants I can see that the side that faces me when I am doing most things does grow more than the other sides. I don’t have any CO2 devices but just my talking and breathing on them seems to make them grow more. :smile:

3 Likes

@retiredoldguy bro, they look real Healthy :crossed_fingers:

Here is Granddaddy Bruce 110 days from seed in paper towel to harvest.

Buds are showing nearly all cloudy with some amber Trichomes so time to harvest. The smell is so sweet I could just breathe it all day long.

First, I would like to acknowledge that, this forum has several insanely knowledgeable people who monitor all posts and provide helpful advice when needed. I am not a large-scale grower, only someone who enjoys small batch grows and what comes from them.
I learned a lot on this second grow about DWC and how it all works together. Towards day 79 leaf tips turning brown and the following week curling upwards. I guess I gave too strong of Nutrients, still adjusting my schedule for optimum grow. I still like the idea of not adding to the reservoir between my weekly changes in my setup, as I think it forces the plant to use what is left which makes it healthier. Something else that might be happening is a slight flushing of nutrients in the plant that were stored get leached back into the reservoir. I believe slow PH swings are OK within 5.5-6.5 to let the plant take in nutes differently. I also believe one week of flushing with no nutes before harvest makes for a better product for cured smell and smoke taste/harshness. I don’t believe in trimming after I start flower cycle, bend and tuck only. Both these plants insisted on regrowing their interior and producing significant size buds in there after I trimmed them before flower cycle/time. The one on the right seems to be bushier and more compact (more Purple gene), with the one on the left a bit taller and leaner (more Banner gene). The one on the right has some leaf discoloration. I obviously did something to upset this one, not sure what yet. Anyway, it is easy to see the parent genetics in these 2 plants from the same seed lot.

I hope this DWC journal and my comments help you to be the grower you want to be. Please share your thoughts on any of what I posted. I will not get offended and I am always looking to gain knowledge.

3 Likes

not sure why my pictures will not zoom in so here they are again

2 Likes

Excellent grow sir. Beautiful trichomes STACKED. Man you knocked it out the park.

2 Likes

@retiredoldguy Your Pics look Amazing :v:

Great looking plants. I can smell them from here. DWC is a fun way to grow. I did a strawberry plant and a basil plant alongside a dwc cannabis grow for fun once. Then I tried the same set up outdoor. I just ran the airline out the garage door. The sun caused too much algae in the roots and buckets. The cannabis and basil were sad, but the strawberry plant did great. Big berries.

1 Like