Dry trim or wet what do you do?

Got into an argument with someone recently who told me I was wrong as usual. I won’t say my stance to keep it fair but what do you do and why.

Thanks Dono

@GixxGrows I wet trim before dry and cure. It keeps the trichomes on the plant because you don’t lose any from agitation during dry trimming. It’s not as pretty as a dry trim but I prefer potency to aesthetic.

2 Likes

I agree with MDBud. Besides agitation, I do not like the extra Rh from UN-necessary fan leaves. There is not much worth my time, effort and expense to extract anything from fan leaves. When dry, I will trim the sugar leaves, to a point, and use them for my tinctures / extracts

I wet trim because I am concerned about the excess sugar leaves creating additional pockets of mildew/mold. I also figure I will pull the band aid off all at once (harvesting/trimming) so the plant can settle into it’s sleep without my involvement for a bit. I put the leaves/stalks, excess trim in paper bags for a bit and then process.

2 Likes

I guess I wet trimmed WW auto. I’m sure I’ll be dry trimming & hope I don’t mangle my buds to much.

Happy growing and have a good day

3 Likes

Wet trim is the way to go. It is so much more damage and mess waiting till it dries before trimming.

1 Like

I like to wet trim also, I just trim it right over a tray then hang it and once its dry if it needs, I will touch up a few spots. When I have dry trimmed it just takes me more time dealing with leaves that have curled into the bud trying to pull them out and mess around with em.

3 Likes

Can depend on environmental factors. I generally lean towards wet (preserving green color, ease of trim, etc) but if it has been super dry and I’m having a hard time keeping rh high enough to get a 7 day dry time, I’ll dry trim to slow the process down… I’d rather do this than get the humidifiers out but that’s super rare for where I live.

wet towels will help bring in Rh without having to bring in the humidifier.

2 Likes

Like your thoughts @dmtscravey. Going to bring her out & train a lil more. This should help with dry time. Watching for mold, ugh😬.

Have great one

1 Like

I also do most of my trimming wet. If needed, a final “touch-up” may be needed once the buds dry and shrink to their final size/shape.

1 Like

Well I agree wet trim is better. I pulled my girl & re-trimmed her better. I was worried about mold. I think she looks better.

I’ll be checking for that snap, not break sound & putting her in jars.

Have a great evening

1 Like

DO not forget to save all those trimmings. There is your shake for extract

1 Like

Definitely, I need butter!!

Have a good evening

3 Likes

Here are pics of my last harvest of “Jamookies” (my own strain of GSC and a Jamaican sativa hybrid, both from bag seeds). Total dry weight before curing was 4.6 ounces bud and 2.3 ounces shake. These are “lollipops” that were cloned from a mother plant:

And this is the mother plant, sent to flower after she bred 36 clones:

Final product (very dense and sticky):

Some close ups of buds that fell off during wet trim:

3 Likes

Oh boy, they look great & tasty

2 Likes

You did a great job trimming those, now they look like they will dry without moulding. You do have a fan moving air around them but not blowing straight at them right?

1 Like

Remember, if you use BUTTER, get some lecithin to use as an emulsifier. It helps to distribute the active components evenly so you do not get blank butter pods with no THC

1 Like

Thanks. Got 5"fan blow toward the floor. My office smells so good. I’m using charcoal bamboo bag to manage delicious scent.

1 Like

Fan not blowing on them, away toward floor. Just checking for the snap sound, but not break.