Dry trim or wet what do you do?

I think like waiting that last week to harvest waiting for the snap is excrutiatingly painful I usually have a small bud drying quickly somewhere so I can smoke it up and wait for the rest to dry as it should. OK maybe not a small one but a couple of larger buds.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m confessing to dry the nugs that fell off or I snipped off by accident :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:. Hope it dries enough to sample my 1st WW.

Really appreciate ya.

1 Like

you could always do a cold water dry - you could have a few buds ready to smoke in just a few days. I water cure a little to test my grow. Google it or ask MDBuds

1 Like

I dry trim. I’ve tried both numerous times.
My plants are hung whole in 65° -70° tents with 50-55% rh. Circulation fans are a must.
It takes anywhere from 5 to 9 days for my plants to be ready to trim, depending on their size.
When I trim, I use the very tip of my shears and flick off the crows feet. I lose very little product this way.
Anything leftover as far as sugar leaves goes into my trim pile to await processing into extracts.
Roots and fan leaves go into a separate bin to make salves.
I try to make use of as much of the plant as possible.

I saw mention of using lecithin in edibles earlier. The main reasons for using lecithin is for a binding agent and for easy absorption and process in the liver.

It effectively makes your edibles stronger and more accessible to your body.

Use liquid sunflower lecithin. The soy form has hormones added. The dry forms are also not easily soluble.

3 Likes

It’s also a good idea to eat something really fatty before ingestion of edibles. It also makes it easier for the liver to metabolize.

Guac/ avacados works really, really well.

Mango can intensify as well, especially if used with strains that contain myrcene which is the main terpene of mango.

1 Like

Thanks for the rundown. I’m still open to trying different methods to figure out what I like best.

As someone who is struggling with new neurons, I found it interesting that sunflower lecithin also helps to assist in regeneration and protection of my neurons in a roundabout way. If anyone would like more info, you can see it here. I can actually feel the difference when it’s not used in a product while also admitting that I’m tuned in more than most.

Thank you for letting us learn from you.

Have you read about Lions Mane mushroom and it’s neuroprotective/ neuroregenerative qualities??

Cubensis has been shown to make new neural pathways through microdosing. The amount used in microdosing isn’t enough to trip hard. Just make everything around you a bit more vivid.

The second option isn’t for everybody…

1 Like

I have read about them. I’m also growing them along with reishi, and oyster. I make a maple concoction with them and put them with my covfefe.

I’m also aware that one size doesn’t fit all. Makes us all interesting puzzles.

Enjoy the rest of your day. :star_struck:

2 Likes

I will wet trim for the most part, then give a tighter manicure when drier before going into the curing jars

3 Likes

I would definitely agree with most that wet trim makes much prettier dry flowers. All the lil sugar leaves you cannot get to the petiole on will retract out of sight as they dry. You know the ones you can’t get to without mangling the bud. I do as much wet trim as I can. But sometimes it takes months to get the trimming all done. And usually 2/3 of my crop ends up dry trimmed or no trim at all. I never sell it so who cares.

There are two big pros to dry trim I noticed.

1. Dry trim flowers in my opinion smoke smoother than wet trimmed ones. As in less harsh on the lungs. Barely, but enough to notice. Flush or no flush there is a difference. My theory is (no proof just theory) is that the chlorophyl in the leaves breaks down more completely in a slower dry.

Mike, the wet towel idea to raise relative humidity is correct to slow the process. But it seems (to me) that ambient humidity rehydrates the buds VS the original moisture slowly leaving because the leaves have no open wounds and an intact coat of trichomes Subtle difference. Again no proof of this, just my opinion. Most people would not notice unless they did a blindfolded side by side smoke test on sister clones. Subtle harshness difference; not ruined buds by any means.

After curing wet trimmed a couple months the slightly harsher smoke seems to “cure” away. But…

1. It seems (to me) that the dry trimmed and no trim hold on to more terpenes better than wet trimmed. Regardless if it’s stored in a bag or jar. On year old dry flowers it’s noticeable on side by side sister clone comparison. Smell test is definitive. But they sure don’t look pretty that way. They look like ditch weed.

Just my 5 cents

And wet trimmed

Unrelated. Best wake and bake strain.

3 Likes

Oh that is a lot of trimming to do there…yikes! Lol but i would rather have a boat load like that than none at all! Great job and Happy Growing!!

Here is an example of my wet trim. If you look at the buds close up that are hanging that was September 15th the other picture is one of those tops today December 6th. So that’s what my loose wet trim looks like dried and curing .

6 Likes

Those look better after wet trimming. After 2nd attempt, my wet trim is better!!

Enjoy your Sunday

1 Like

I hope I can grow up to grow my buds like that. Do you have a humidifier in your dry room? I’m wondering if I should put one in the attic. How long are you hanging? Just until snap?

Don’t have the humidifier in my dry closet lol I just have a small fan oscillating away from the buds pointing to the floor. Some of my small bud stems snapped so I put them in the jar my humidy meter read 90% I took them out and they’re sitting to dry out more.

Thet bug i left out smoked ok in my bowl.
Got a mellow body buzz, can wait to see how WW auto smokes when dried completely.

Have a blessed Sunday

1 Like

I was delaying my smoke, but now you have tempted me. I’ll try to remember to take it easy so I’m not napping in an hour.

1 Like

I do not have a humidifier in my drying area I live in Southwest Missouri and humidity here is like living in a shower anyway. However I do have a fan pointing at the floor to move around the Room, actually closet, actually coal chute to my basement but either way I have a fan in there and they hang anywhere from 7 to 14 days just depending how long I can let them go before I wanna start smoking and playing with them.

1 Like

Always when you 1st start curing burp the jars a lot to keep the humidity down or you’ll get mold. I actually put the buds in the jar and I leave the lid off for the 1st 24 hours put in dark cool place and then I put it on for a day or so and check it everyday and make sure if there not drying burp for an hour to let that air circulate out. The sniff test is a great way to see if their starting to mold, smell your jars with the buds in em every time you open the lid and you’ll start to smell if there is mold or anything.

1 Like

I will set reminders from here on out about the burping. I ruined a jar this last round and the time before because I wandered off or something and put it in a random place. Parkinson’s is a joy to live with sometimes, it’s like running after a toddler, but the toddler is me. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi Mike @Mrb53004, hope all is well with ya. Hey how many towels should I use & how wet. Do I need to be Concerned about bacteria.

Rh 42% 72° overnight with lights on.

Thanks & have a good one