Do seeds need light while germinating?

Hello all,thank you for providing such a great site for information and more! I took my seeds out water today and put in soil cups,but not sure if I need light on them until they sprout? How many hours a day please?
Thank you much.

3 Likes

no light needed till after they popup through the soil. As long as they are covered under the soil, that is ok so they can be under lights now

3 Likes

No light needed until you see green

2 Likes

Thank you much. I am hoping to see more colors than green after curing…but green is great for now!:grinning:

4 Likes

Colors come from:
strain
Temperature
pic of my GDP : all done with temps and cold water

this is not under a burple light, white light. After drying and curing, looks almost black

10 Likes

That’s really impressive. I’m getting various colors from the “hairs” on the buds, but no much otherwise. Other than a phenomenal look, is ther any benefit to getting the colors out?

2 Likes

@Bill yes. Other than the benefit of uv protection resin production, terpene production, and thc is also increased. It just needs to be cured right so that it keeps the added benefits.

4 Likes

@Bill it also depends on the genetics of the strain. The closer you can get your environment to the cultivars “home” environment the better it will produce as far as resin, terpenes, and thc/trichome development. Though often times you will also be sacrificing some yield for the increased potency and aesthetic.

3 Likes

@MDBuds that’s really great information… I always thought of the colors being more of a bag-appeal thing, but you’ve got me thinking! Thanks for the info - you truly blow me away with your knowledge!!

3 Likes

@Bill it definitely does add to the bag appeal but it can also have other benefits if you used the proper methods to get it to express.

2 Likes

I’ll be growing a purple haze that I may try to get some color expression out of. Seeds haven’t arrived yet, but waiting patiently.

My purple kush came out beautifully. Great reddish hairs and a juicy-fruit gum style smell. However, no “purple” in the leaves, etc.

2 Likes

@Bill purple kush requires low humidity, high uv, and cold to get purple. It’s lineage is from the kush mountain ranges which are harsh dry and cold.

Purple haze on the other hand doesn’t really need the cold to shine. It’s parent strains are from Mexico, Thailand, and Southern India so just lower humidity in the last few weeks of flower and some UVB and it will get all the shades of blue and purple you want. It loves higher humidity in veg though which can cause mold issues with other strains. 60-70% rh is perfect for Purple Haze during veg and around 40% for flower.

3 Likes

Wow, I had no idea the colors meant so much, I was actually joking about something else,but thanks for the invaluable info.

3 Likes

@Artalert this is for soil growing BTW. Hydro is a whole different beast. Color also doesn’t always mean potency. It has a lot of different factors, but generally the ways you get plants to express color can also increase potency.

4 Likes

@MDBuds thanks for the details! Definitely going to try some of this and see what it gets me. The purple kush ended up with lots of red hairs, but no purple so to speak. Here’s a pic:

3 Likes

Mike @Mrb53004 love the purple. If I’m watching with 50° molasses ph water, 60-65° lights off / 75-80° lights on & rh 35-40%. Hope these conditions bring on the color.

Probably have a way to go.

Not much further…All your “PISTILS” have already matured so the trikes will not be far behind. You can COLD shock her to bring out more purple hues but it is pretty late in the game to try and coax much color out of her. If I remember, you had a basement setup and needed to add HEAT. Let the DARK time get cold. She can go down to 45f safely at this point in time. Refrigerate your water for feeding down to the low 50’s too but please watch as you are pretty close to harvest. I remember you said you were not a big fan of couchlock, did it give you headaches?

Ok, I started the cold watering almost 2 wks ago. I want a good relaxing smoke, so I want mostly cloudy. I really believe Sunday is her day. Yeah

If Sunday is the day, stop watering after today…Leave her out at night in the cold and blackout fri, sat, cut down Sunday

Great cause I didn’t water yesterday, should I trim some of leaves off?? Thanks