Big versus small yields

Dude, got your MacBeth in a twist? I wrote the above after reading a very well written, technically correct, easy to understand article about making tincture that was completely devoid of numbers. Why? Because beyond the self serving cultivar description supplied by seed sellers, most have no idea how much THC is in their weed, how effectively they decarbed and how efficient their process is, so they no more than guess about strength of the product. That’s religion, mindless ritual based on something that may once have made sense, stripping it of its measurable reality, and conveying a timeless method that needs no numbers. It needs only religion. When the priests of the dragon say do this, do exactly this.

1 Like

For the record I’m not saying guerrilla grow. I’m approaching this from my perspective. For my own medicine and mental satiety. I’m encouraging you to make good compost! And water in aerated compost Tea. Or foliar feed…not really our community. Alternatively put rice in a pantyhose. Go find the guerilla grow place and bury your pantyhose rice 10 inches down. Go back in a month and hopefully you remember where it is. Get it carefully intact. And boom inoculated mycelium growth starter. Put that in a pot and see how cannabis like it. Obviously you have to nurture the soil system to mimic supersoil. I want to do this but I will not trespass or defile public parks. Equally just because you don’t understand why the sky is blue doesn’t mean it isn’t important. Knowledge is power, what you or anybody else does with it is your freedom. Ignorance is the poison on this world. What shoes do you put on? One of each?

2 Likes

@Northcountryguy
Sorry, I definitely did not get that you were referring to a tincture recipe. I seemed like you were calling me out as being unscientific on several things I mentioned doing. Like the guerrilla landrace hopes and soil and terps. My bad. I do not usually get emotional.

@BlackSheep
No worries, I should say a bit more as not to horrify the parents with images of plants under slides and next to the toddler swing. When I say parks I mean state parks. Here those are huge forest reserves going thousands of acres. Not next to the space needle or behind the football bleachers. Those are the parks I mean.:scream_cat:

2 Likes

Lmao, biology transcends law everyday. Maybe we should create a bacterial drug acquisition genome. BDAG that searches and destroys like missiles…wait that sounds familiar. I digress don’t takeover this thread!!
Big vs Small Yields baby!! :100::dash: I love growing my own cannabis!!! Been a dream since middle school

1 Like

I really like your idea about using buried rice in pantyhose as a mycelium inoculant. I have never heard that before. I will file that away as a tip. We do that all the time in aquariums to seed new tanks with a good blend of denitrifying bacteria. Except sub gravel or a block of foam for the rice.

I just fill my pots with “mix” from raised beds. I just fill up a bunch of pots (number I usually use) while everything is fallow. I also throw a few handfuls of richness from the tumblers in the bottom first. I just line em up on the back edge of the raised bed and stack em till spring planting. I really like your idea for those who do not have access to aged bed soil. I bet a handful of char thrown in would make a nice complimentary pantyhose partner for the rice.

2 Likes

Based on what I’ve read here char would be a great idea to me. Your method serves the same purposes. Any quality enriched soil has the biology present as long as it hasn’t been affected by excessive fertilizers. It’s creating that homeostasis in a pot that will provide the full nutrients to your plant no matter where your micro flora is taken from. I’m trying to create that optimal habit for those organisms when I compose a supersoil amended with organics( ideally your own but who all has a productive compost bin?) Because cannabis is a hungry plant that’s where top dresses come into play with timing critical. Even this whole food product top dresses has gained traction from those old school cats. Fish in the dirt and Alfalfa smoothie. Sounds like silliness to me but I’ve never tried it so who I am. It’s proteins and aminos just like I eat. Where do we get our minerals and nutrients from. F* plants is where. What do fish eat. Follow the food chain. Energy is finite according to modern physics. Everything comes from something. And as a plant would you rather use your roots to physically touch nitrogen for food or use myceliums vast network to get it for you?

Another specimen in northeastern Oregon’s Malheur National Forest is possibly the largest living organism on Earth by mass, area, and volume – this contiguous specimen covers 3.7 square miles (2,400 acres; 9.6 km2) and is colloquially called the "Humongous fungus ".[2] Approximations of the land area occupied by the “Humongous fungus” are 3.5 square miles (9.1 km2) (2,240 acres (910 ha)), and it possibly weighs as much as 35,000 tons, making it the world’s most massive living organism.[7]

Just think about this for 1 minute after you enjoy some sativa. Thankyou all for this engaging conversation. I have too much time to think and talk at the moment.

I need to learn a lot more about mushrooms. I don’t know anything. Because of toxicity, I stay away, as far as consumption.
We moved up into the Ga. mountains last spring on 18 acres. Though heavily wooded, it is covered in mushrooms. I have never seen so many and such a variety.
Is the buried rice effective in the winter months?
Where can I learn more about this.

2 Likes

@SlingShot start researching edibles mushrooms in Appalachian mountains you can also download picture this its a app you take pictures and it will tell you if it edibles or poison and it also will tell you about any trees, plants,flowers,on and on hope this helps

1 Like

The best advice I ever heard came from a botanist specialized in mushrooms. She said to do two things. Find a local, in person mushroom club. Though often college based, clubs will often welcome non-college affiliated “community” club members. Learn to visually identify with an expert by your side.
The other thing she said was never try to be an expert on all edible shrooms. Pick one species and learn it inside and out and only when you reliably identify them to the satisfaction of the trusted pro do you eat them.

4 Likes

Can i ask @Northcountryguy where you live in the states you don’t have to answer if you please not to

1 Like

I live in about the middle of New York now. The club I referred to above was one my brother joined when he lived near a college in the fingerlakes region.

2 Likes

Yes you have to be very careful with mushroom picking and consumption. When I was younger I purchased a book of native regional mushrooms taxonomy. The botanist advice is sound and means your safer and have a new open minded spiritual friend. If that’s not your thing then I absolutely recommend purchasing a book that identifies mushrooms within the region your located. There are step by step processes that let you identify what your looking at. And even with general certainty you’ll find yourself asking …should I really eat this? Is it truly what I think it is. Some are easy. Some are hard. Some are deadly. Most are harmless. It’s your risk. As to the mycelium found in the ground. It’s present all year. I mean it doesn’t die over winter. Ground temps remain more consistent than air. But remember the fragility of what your trying to take…it must be fed and nutured in the soil you put it in or the new material your trying to inoculate. Fyi too products are emerging on the market that utilize biology and fungus to make your grows sticky sticky. Urb natural being one I endorse. Blacksheep7urb on IG. And Mammoth P one I’m unfamiliar with. The point is embracing what nature already does for us but most are too uneducated or have been lied to about over the last century.

3 Likes

It should be noted that some mushrooms are being studied and may have profound implications for medical applications. Additionally psychedelic mushrooms bruise blue/violent when handled…its very obvious once you’ve seen it…but again without experience you won’t know, and more importantly it’s kinda fun naming what you find if your inquisitive like me. :wink:

2 Likes

Something I’ve noticed over the years about the mushrooms I see in my woods is that the same variety comes back year after year under the same specific tree. It can be different mushrooms for the same species of tree right next to each other, but it’s like they develop a personal relationship.

I don’t know what they all are. Some of em are just composting mushrooms working that tree cause it’s dying / dead. Some of them are like Alice in Wonderland type of shit and that’s why I remember.

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 very good observation. Mushrooms are the fruiting body (propagation) of the mycelium present underground. Most species thrive on particular types of wood as a substrate and will decompose them. Some woods are easily used and other woods actually repel them through evolutionary defense. So the fact that you see it every year is because it lives in those woods. If you look more closely next time you might be able to see a large ring of mushrooms or circumference. That would be the extent of its size underground. If it’s attached to trees then those tend to work by infecting the vascular structure of the trees themselves. Some fungus is pathogenic and harms. Others are symbiotic and help. All decompose. Honestly they are quite fascinating to me…very benign looking things but without them we’d be absolutely screwed.

1 Like

We use to go shrooming, get shot at, trip balls, pretty much in that order… Awesome times :grinning: back a few decades ago of course.

2 Likes

how long are you vegging for? from seed? and not topping or training?

I was going with 8 rn at 1 1/2 months from seed and was going to flip to flower at 2 with no touch to them. I ended up getting home, tying them down and cutting the tops off. Now Im planning to add an extra 2 weeks before I flip to flower to allow all the bottom colas to get strong while the cut tops can catch up to them. I have them all in 3 gallon fabric pots ontop of metal chicken wire stands. Water ever 3 days with 2 red solo cups of ph 5.7 (about to hit 5.8 noticed slight burn now that im watering more frequently: as standing water for 2 + days PH levels rise and kill grow time).

1 Like

Vegging - pretty much for photoperiod plants. I veg based on size of container, size of environment (room, tent, closet, height, etc)
On average, 8 weeks from sprouting. I only do photos in early part of the year so I can move outside for spring else I mainly grow autos.

2 Likes

I have 3 Autos and 1 Photo in the tent. I will harvest the Autos tomorrow or Tuesday. I’m having rotator cuff surgery Wednesday and don’t want to mess with harvesting with a busted wing.
The Photo is two weeks younger, at 8 weeks. I been keeping it low but it is getting wide. When I pull the Autos, I’ll install the net and remove the ties. The tent will be hers and hers alone.
I have a little bottom clean up to prune but not much. It’s pretty well level.
Should I wait a certain time to flip after putting her through the net? Should I let her push up through before flowering?
I’ve never flipped a Photo before so I’m heading into uncharted territory. How long will it take to reach Flower once I roll back to light? Does it still grow aggressively while moving into Flower?
Thanks

1 Like

Question for you my friend your auto’s do you defoilate any leaves off late in flower like in the last day or 2

1 Like