Big versus small yields

small / large plants - if size and depletion of nutes is an issue, thane a simple drip, dwc, hydro or even coco/peat substrates fed daily resolve that issue.
Terps…far more the important issue than THC. Smaller plants have less hidden bud space for UVB/IR to pump up the terps.
Lifetime experience - I have had much better highs / effects from terpenes than any thc count. The reason I went with Frankenstein to breed…LOW THC (probable the lowest of 90% of what is out there (like 12%) but one of the most a__kicking buds I have ever had the pleasure to have

6 Likes

@Mrb53004 great point! Adds more to my point as to how little we actually “know” to be true. How’s these bacteria, fungi, plant interact to create a truly unique expression of one self and environment. Having said all of that, its generally true that people who have been at it the longest have the most knowledge but understanding in terms of biochemistry is another.

2 Likes

I like your thinking. A caution however.
When we theorize about extreme cases, we often miss or illuminate previously missed variables.

A big plant that is haphazardly growing at the foot of the mighty oak or redwood might well end up compost after a frazzled attempt at survival, or it might do like the tomato plants I inadvertently planted over an old coal ash pile buried under topsoil. I got bushels of tomatoes that stayed green until the frost took them. Now I would know they were all kinds of nitrogen and lousy light, but I didn’t know it then, and wouldn’t know if even talking about it could cause a home invasion.

But I digress (because weed). I think a plant that is moderately stressed but has the resources to recover on its own has the best potential. No stress means weak reserves, sorry roots. Too much stress means diverted resources so maybe too little left for yield. But moderate stress can kick in hormone reactions and help improve yields in the context of plenty to draw from.

Fimed Plant may do real well if given resources to react to the insult, for example.

2 Likes

Wow!! I love this place. I would never have thought there could be so many viewpoints on the topic. But that is great. Just like all the cross-breeding that gave us Kick-Ass strains, we are seeing a cross-breed of ideas. I think that is what great garden are made of.
There is more here than I can aggregate at the moment and most of you are so far ahead of me that I’m struggling to follow. But follow I must.

2 Likes

Thanks @Noddykitty good info and love the way you put it out there. I’m finding I can come off a little aggressive in my phrase delivery. I can’t preach enough how much love I have for this plant. It blows my mind that we know so much and are just scratching the surface🥲

2 Likes

It’s not so hard to do really. I am all about the organics. One just builds up your soil in the off-season when fallow and load it up with all the organic nutrients. I think of it as feeding the soil life and not feeding the plants directly.

I didn’t go into how I make my compost, but it’s a mouthful. I will link it to the thread. I agree with you about compost tea. I love it. I make aerobic and anaerobic teas both. The aerobic make great foliar feeds. I particularly like to catch the drain drips (compost goo really) out of my 3 compost tumblers in a bucket. Bubble it overnight and foliar feed it. For anaerobic I like to pack weeds (blackberries, dandelions, comfrey, horsetails mainly) into a 5 gallon bucket. Float it with water. Top it with urine. Lid it. Then forget it for 3-4 weeks. It becomes stank goo. I then dilute it as I water it out, or even better pour it over the raised beds while it’s raining.

How I do my compost thread:
Dramatic size difference wow

I don’t think of them as firewood, just compost. But I have my chainsaws just incase😜. And lots of stinky good bud.

6 Likes

@Noddykitty Beautiful girls!! :heart_eyes: I honestly believe your naturalistic thoughts. If this science is right plants can never be limited in nutrients when “properly” colonized by bacteria and fungus. That’s why you plant a seed in the rainforest and give it full sun it would be uniquely special. Like you said genetic variance from the presence of the seed!!!:exploding_head: and if you took a clone from it and planted it in an old growth forest you would have completely different :fire: despite it even being the same genetics. The bacterial and fungal differences would completely alter the terpene profile. All this is in theory based on this new soil science. But think it through. Why is France know for grapes. Nicaragua cigars, coffee in Brazil, and Hawaii.

3 Likes

Damn! Just damn!!!

Do you ever get lost in that forest?

1 Like

I have never thought of myself as preaching a soil evangelical prayer to a (false god?) weediety. But that was some great writing that instantly set off a lot of imagery in my brain. Like robes, initiation, candles and a big 5footer bong. The weedilluminati or the dank masons. You could be a novelist. Especially when I start off my thoughts with literally saying this is not the gospel just what I have noticed and observed. Respect to all.

Sorry but I have to completely disagree with you. I may not be able to afford to officially confirm my science in the lab. I grow too many plants for that. But I do keep impeccable notes and make observations. As a matter fact I look at the entire world is a big chemistry problem. Chemistry is always first on my mind. My undergrad was an Organic chemist major with a minor in genetics. I even went back to school and got a degree in fish ecology because I love fish. The scientific method is definitely at use in my process. That said there’s definitely more than one method. Especially depending on where you live and the way you grow.

Also feedback from others is a power tool for testing results. I don’t want to get in trouble, but I definitely give away some serious poundage. Actually fluid ounces. 90% of my samplers want oil extracts and pass on the flower. Many, many different walks of life consume my products due to the eclectic group of people I meet with my job installing custom aquariums. I honestly have never charged a dime for anything I have grown. It just feels like bad karma to do that. I’ve also personally been consulted on local state legal dispensary grows. For my opinion on problems. I have some good college friends in the biz. I also personally been hit up for some of my genetics discreetly in the state run market. I breed every year for mold resistance.

Sorry, I don’t mean to get my panties in a bunch, but I can’t disagree with you more that I am NOT applying science to my method. And once again I never call what I do a gospel to pray to as a weediety. One of the things I like best about the plant is how many different ways there are to grow it.

Also my guerrilla grows are never ever ever used for harvest. I have never picked a single bud off one. They are purely about trying to grow a wild Landrace strain in my region and that makes me happy. More of a side note really, not my grow focus.

4 Likes

Dude, got your MacBeth in a twist? I wrote the above after reading a very well written, technically correct, easy to understand article about making tincture that was completely devoid of numbers. Why? Because beyond the self serving cultivar description supplied by seed sellers, most have no idea how much THC is in their weed, how effectively they decarbed and how efficient their process is, so they no more than guess about strength of the product. That’s religion, mindless ritual based on something that may once have made sense, stripping it of its measurable reality, and conveying a timeless method that needs no numbers. It needs only religion. When the priests of the dragon say do this, do exactly this.

1 Like

For the record I’m not saying guerrilla grow. I’m approaching this from my perspective. For my own medicine and mental satiety. I’m encouraging you to make good compost! And water in aerated compost Tea. Or foliar feed…not really our community. Alternatively put rice in a pantyhose. Go find the guerilla grow place and bury your pantyhose rice 10 inches down. Go back in a month and hopefully you remember where it is. Get it carefully intact. And boom inoculated mycelium growth starter. Put that in a pot and see how cannabis like it. Obviously you have to nurture the soil system to mimic supersoil. I want to do this but I will not trespass or defile public parks. Equally just because you don’t understand why the sky is blue doesn’t mean it isn’t important. Knowledge is power, what you or anybody else does with it is your freedom. Ignorance is the poison on this world. What shoes do you put on? One of each?

2 Likes

@Northcountryguy
Sorry, I definitely did not get that you were referring to a tincture recipe. I seemed like you were calling me out as being unscientific on several things I mentioned doing. Like the guerrilla landrace hopes and soil and terps. My bad. I do not usually get emotional.

@BlackSheep
No worries, I should say a bit more as not to horrify the parents with images of plants under slides and next to the toddler swing. When I say parks I mean state parks. Here those are huge forest reserves going thousands of acres. Not next to the space needle or behind the football bleachers. Those are the parks I mean.:scream_cat:

2 Likes

Lmao, biology transcends law everyday. Maybe we should create a bacterial drug acquisition genome. BDAG that searches and destroys like missiles…wait that sounds familiar. I digress don’t takeover this thread!!
Big vs Small Yields baby!! :100::dash: I love growing my own cannabis!!! Been a dream since middle school

1 Like

I really like your idea about using buried rice in pantyhose as a mycelium inoculant. I have never heard that before. I will file that away as a tip. We do that all the time in aquariums to seed new tanks with a good blend of denitrifying bacteria. Except sub gravel or a block of foam for the rice.

I just fill my pots with “mix” from raised beds. I just fill up a bunch of pots (number I usually use) while everything is fallow. I also throw a few handfuls of richness from the tumblers in the bottom first. I just line em up on the back edge of the raised bed and stack em till spring planting. I really like your idea for those who do not have access to aged bed soil. I bet a handful of char thrown in would make a nice complimentary pantyhose partner for the rice.

2 Likes

Based on what I’ve read here char would be a great idea to me. Your method serves the same purposes. Any quality enriched soil has the biology present as long as it hasn’t been affected by excessive fertilizers. It’s creating that homeostasis in a pot that will provide the full nutrients to your plant no matter where your micro flora is taken from. I’m trying to create that optimal habit for those organisms when I compose a supersoil amended with organics( ideally your own but who all has a productive compost bin?) Because cannabis is a hungry plant that’s where top dresses come into play with timing critical. Even this whole food product top dresses has gained traction from those old school cats. Fish in the dirt and Alfalfa smoothie. Sounds like silliness to me but I’ve never tried it so who I am. It’s proteins and aminos just like I eat. Where do we get our minerals and nutrients from. F* plants is where. What do fish eat. Follow the food chain. Energy is finite according to modern physics. Everything comes from something. And as a plant would you rather use your roots to physically touch nitrogen for food or use myceliums vast network to get it for you?

Another specimen in northeastern Oregon’s Malheur National Forest is possibly the largest living organism on Earth by mass, area, and volume – this contiguous specimen covers 3.7 square miles (2,400 acres; 9.6 km2) and is colloquially called the "Humongous fungus ".[2] Approximations of the land area occupied by the “Humongous fungus” are 3.5 square miles (9.1 km2) (2,240 acres (910 ha)), and it possibly weighs as much as 35,000 tons, making it the world’s most massive living organism.[7]

Just think about this for 1 minute after you enjoy some sativa. Thankyou all for this engaging conversation. I have too much time to think and talk at the moment.

I need to learn a lot more about mushrooms. I don’t know anything. Because of toxicity, I stay away, as far as consumption.
We moved up into the Ga. mountains last spring on 18 acres. Though heavily wooded, it is covered in mushrooms. I have never seen so many and such a variety.
Is the buried rice effective in the winter months?
Where can I learn more about this.

2 Likes

@SlingShot start researching edibles mushrooms in Appalachian mountains you can also download picture this its a app you take pictures and it will tell you if it edibles or poison and it also will tell you about any trees, plants,flowers,on and on hope this helps

1 Like

The best advice I ever heard came from a botanist specialized in mushrooms. She said to do two things. Find a local, in person mushroom club. Though often college based, clubs will often welcome non-college affiliated “community” club members. Learn to visually identify with an expert by your side.
The other thing she said was never try to be an expert on all edible shrooms. Pick one species and learn it inside and out and only when you reliably identify them to the satisfaction of the trusted pro do you eat them.

4 Likes

Can i ask @Northcountryguy where you live in the states you don’t have to answer if you please not to

1 Like

I live in about the middle of New York now. The club I referred to above was one my brother joined when he lived near a college in the fingerlakes region.

2 Likes