Auto flower Fluffy buds

Hi I’m new to this forum I found out about it from stumbling across the grow your weed at home by @kronic thanks man!! So I’ve just done my first ever grow being a auto and the buds have been dried and cured for two weeks so far but they are so fluffy and not dense what’s the main cause on this?

Thanks
Nugz

5 Likes

That’s a great question, I’ve been having the same results and can’t wait for the veteran growers advice.

3 Likes

I’m wondering if it’s environment related 🤷 as you say hopefully some of the more experience growers than me can help

1 Like

Need more info on your setup of your grow environment @Nugzilla and @Shameless1963

3 Likes

Just guessing here based on lack of information. It appears to me it may be a lighting issue. Not enough light or light too high?

2 Likes

Yeah sorry @Daddy1971 setup is

4x4 tent
2 Mars hydro tsl 2000
3 fans
2 in-line fans one with a Carson filter one bring air in
Humidifier
1600 oil filled rad
Inkbird humidity controller
Inkbird temp controller

That’s about everything

1 Like

You referring to light to high as in height or power? Sorry

1 Like

Could be too high as in height or not enough light. As I said not sure. What growing conditions was it under. Tent how big a pot etc…a lot of variables that are unknown

3 Likes

@Nugzilla do you run lights at night or day and do you bring fresh air in from outside

2 Likes

Actually I just purchased a grow tent, just a little guy (2x4) so, this will be my first grow tent grow.
I am trying out some Sour Diesel. They just germinated, I’ve been watching videos and reading. My last grow was in a closet and I was having issues with the OG Kush, folks were saying the lights were to high (giggity) that the plants were stretching with all that being said, can anyone tell me the correct way to set up a 2x4 tent? I know it may be a lengthy response but it would be deeply appreciated.

1 Like

It’s a 4x4 tent lights together are 4000w at 18 inches from canopy I do have a inline binging fresh air in and one taking stale air out through carbon filter

2 Likes

As it was a auto it was on 24/0 and yes I have a inline bringing air in

1 Like

@Nugzilla Yea try amending a little more of a fuller spectrum feed the whole grow, autos aren’t like photos where you wanna give a heavier Nitrogen and cal/mag feed early on versus PK late. Autos like to have a full spectrum feed the whole grow to build up those nutrients for flowering. Also CO2 is a massive impact on how dense autoflowers get. I highly recommend getting a CO2 canister whether its your own creation of DIY CO2 or TNB Naturals. This will help with density and the amount of LST or training you do to strengthen the branches is going to help :slight_smile: You can also try 20 hours on 4 hours off to see if that specific strain of autoflower prefers a short sleep period to calvin bond.

6 Likes

Hey kronic nice to have a reply from you man love your podcast!!

See woth the feeds I’m using pre made stuff (shogun) line to be precise and following there feed chart at half dose and working up when she looks more hungry. With regards to the co2 which I did here you recommend on the podcast but wanted to ask where is best to place it as I’m sure co2 is heavier than air so if I have it high the extracting in-line fan will just suck it out and if i put it on the floor it’s just going to sit on the floor?

Thanks

Nugz

2 Likes

Do they get you high?

1 Like

the tsl 2k is a 300 watt light if i read correctly,not 2,000 watts. Two of them should be enough for a 4x4. Go from there my friend. Water,nutes,ph,the list goes on and on.

1 Like

Not the highest seems to of lost a lot of potency

They are 2000w but only draw 309w from the wall

Genetics my friend some cure out a little more dense and some don’t It’s the strange world of breeders and the seeds they produce.

1 Like

@Nugzilla 1) genetics 2) nutrients 3) proper lighting are the main factors for getting denser buds. I’ll list how I do it down below.

First get a cultivar that naturally has denser buds. Feed appropriately. High nitrogen and phosphorus with the right micros (generally calcium and magnesium) will increase branching and give you more “fruiting sites” in veg. Maintain a decent amount of potassium. They don’t need much early on but it is still essential. Just enough to maintain healthy growth.

As you get into flower you really don’t need to increase potassium until about week 2 or 3 of flower. So top dress with a potassium or flower feed at the first sign of preflower with autos so that they’ll get the extra potassium when they need it. If growing organic that is, because top dressing takes roughly a week or two to work down to the roots. If using chemical salts just feed at week 2/3 of flower or as soon as you see some signs of potassium deficiency. At this stage the biggest culprit for fluffy flowers is not enough potassium.

Keep your lighting in range. Around 500ppfd for veg and around 700 for flower is generally optimal. Not enough light your plants will stretch and have longer stems which equates to less dense bud sites. Too much light will stunt them too and decrease your yield. Make sure you do some light lst and just enough defoliation to allow for maximum light penetration. The second biggest cause for light fluffy buds is light stress or not enough light.

The last most common cause for fluffy buds or stretched out plants is heat stress. So try to keep your temps in range and make sure that if it’s too hot feed some silica and extra potassium and use some liquid kelp. Potassium is essential for stress recovery and your plants will need more if it is too hot. Silica helps stress recovery too and increases water retention in soil and circulation in the plant. Liquid kelp helps with both.

4 Likes