Ask MD Buds (cultivars and terpenes for medicinal use)

@KriZm I do use foliar sprays up until flower. After that everything is put in the waterings or top feedings.

As far as strains good for ptsd from war it all entirely depends on the severity of the hyper-vigilance and if it’s accompanied by flash backs, insomnia, tremors, and night terrors.

Usually with ptsd with flashbacks, hyper-vigilance, insomnia, and night terrors you want to avoid anything too high in thc and anything too cerebral or creative/introspective so sativas are usually out of the question.

Soothing strains with linalool, caryophyllene, pinene, and cbd would be the most beneficial.

CBD has been proven in studies to ease ptsd tremors, take the edge off of hyper-vigilance, assist with memory association so you can “slow down” and associate new memories with sensory triggers to ease flash backs, and it has also been shown to decrease the amount of night terrors. CBD eases tremors, is calming, and helps bring the body’s natural neurotransmitters back into balance. It helps to repair serotonin and dopamine receptors, bring them back into balance, and helps to repair the damage caused by insomnia and ptsd after traumatic events.

Linalool helps with tremors too and is a very calming terpene. It eases anxiety and also helps take the edge off of hyper-vigilance. In larger doses in strains high in linalool it also helps a lot with insomnia and in combination with cbd and thc decreases the event of night terrors making for more restful sleep by reducing the rem cycle so you dream less.

Caryophyllene increases the effectiveness of cbd and is also calming.

Pinene gives some euphoria and increases focus to help keep the mind from wandering. In higher doses it can help treat fatigue from insomnia and give a boost of energy through the day. It also works with CBD as a neuroprotectant assisting with memory retention and helping with short term memory issues commonly associated with insomnia, ptsd, and hyper-vigilance.

During the day I would suggest avoiding strains high in THC, or use them in small doses. At night some THC might be needed to assist with sleep.

Grandaddy purple is one of the best strains for that type of ptsd in my opinion, especially for night use. If you can find a cbd Grandaddy purple that would be even better.

Blueberry and cbd Blueberry are also good strains for this.

White widow is a good strain for day time use in small doses to help with PTSD and has a cbd version as well. White widow can be energetic at first since it has high thc and limonene which can potentially cause issues with more severe cases of ptsd but the cbd white widow versions are much more calming and less cerebral.

Gold Leaf is also a good hybrid that can help with PTSD. Small doses for day time use and higher doses for night time use.

Both gold leaf and white widow have additional terpenes other than what I listed such as myrcene and limomene etc… but they both have medicinal amounts of linalool as well.

4 Likes

@KriZm lavender would be a good strain too. It’s similar in tepene profile to grandaddy purple.

1 Like

Do you ph the sprays? I will Def experiment with those strains. Thank you again!

1 Like

@KriZm yes I do. I make sure the sprays are over 3 and under 12 but other than that I don’t mess with ph much.

1 Like

Link to your YT? And iG?

1 Like

@Skootz813 ig is www.instagram.com/therealmdbuds

Link to my YouTube is on my IG.

1 Like

Seedsman its from…:sunglasses:

1 Like

@CkNugz sorry for the late reply but do you recall which 1:30 seedsman cultivar it was? Planning my next grow and breeding project. Would be cool if I could get my hands on it.

Cbd Asia I believe it is. I have 2 left I think.

1 Like

I have chronic pain and depression don’t take pain pills anymore and didn’t want to take pills for it been on cbd for a year big help in my life for pain and the depression but I couldn’t afford to keep buying cbd so I brought gold leaf with cbd 23 thc and 17 cbd and fruit cheese and cream cheese and it works great for me and I made a oil with it turned out great sending in to lab see how it turned out but it’s working great you might want to try these hope you find some relief sorry for your loss

2 Likes

@CkNugz awesome man thank you.

@Steve1 I would recommend those as well to chronic pain sufferers. I constantly rave about the gold leaf and just got some cbd cream and cheese to test out as well before I start recommending it. I’ve heard great things word of mouth but I generally won’t suggest or promote something I haven’t yet grown or tried myself.

3 Likes

Thank you for this info. My husband has PTSD from being a combat veteran in Viet Nam. I’ve been looking for strains that will help him. He really wants something with a grape taste……does Granddaddy purple have a grape taste?

2 Likes

@Kris yeah grandaddy purple can have a grape taste.

1 Like

@Kris it’s high in linalool and pinene with can give it a kind of floral, spicy, and woody smell and taste but if you get it to produce anthocyanins it will get a purple color to it and it will start giving off a fruity berry smell along with the floral, spice, and wood smells and it can end up tasting like berries and grapes.

The taste and color all comes down to the genetics and if you grow it in the proper environment.

1 Like

Thank you! Sounds like I need to add granddaddy to my list :). Thanks for the information !

1 Like

Hi @MDBuds , thanks again for another really great topic.

My sister, and to some extent my mom and the women on her side of the family, suffer from a hyperactive histamine system. I forget the name of the condition at the moment. My sister can often break out in hives just from eating certain kinds of foods or being around certain animals or just any number of other seemingly “normal” activities.

Also, one of my dogs suffers from occasional seizures, which we’ve been treating with CBD oils supposedly formulated for animals. It’s expensive, but not as much as other medications and seems to be nearly as effective.

Are you aware of any terpenes or cultivars that can be used to help alleviate these sorts of conditions?

As a follow up, what sort of cannabinoid ratio and dosage would you recommend for a small dog? (~15 lbs)

Thanks again for all of your hard work getting this information out to the community. You’re helping a lot of people man. :+1:

1 Like

@CurrDogg420 there aren’t any terpenes that are antihistamines persay, but there are terpenes that can help take the edge off of allergies by treating the symptoms such as difficulty breathing, phlegm and congestion, and inflammation.

Bronchodilator terpenes (expand bronchi and help with breathing)- a pinene, b pinene, borneol, cineol, limonene, linalool, and a terpinene.

Expectorant terpenes (help you cough up mucus and phlegm)- a pinene, camphene, carvacrol, euginol, terpinene, terpinolene.

Anti-inflammatory terpenes (reduce inflammation) - a pinene, b pinene, b caryophylene, camphene, citrinellol, geriniol, humulene, isopulegol, myrcene.

Cbd also helps a lot in controlling inflammation.

Finding cultivars with a combination of these terpenes will help with conditions such as asthma and allergies.

A few I can list are Harlequin, Charlotte’s Web, Cannatonic, or similar strains high in the listed terpenes and cbd.

As far as your dog any pure cbd hemp cultivar will work to make edibles for it. Dog treats are pretty simple to make. As far as dosage for a 15 lb dog I’d say to use 3 mg dosage at a time. If that doesn’t work to control your dog’s seizures increase dosage about 1 mg cbd at a time until you find a dosage that works.

A basic rule of thumb for animals is 2 mg cbd per 10 lbs body weight when treating seizures.

Hope this helps you man. Happy growing. :v::metal::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

It sure does, thanks man! :handshake:

Ive got some lemon kush (HGCC) I’ll be chopping down next weekend. It smells like straight up lemon pine-sol. They were the first seeds I ever purchased- they were on the BOGO menu for March I think. Sounds like I might have lucked into a good selection.

I’ve added a couple more varieties to my seed vault since then - including that Gold Leaf. I’m even more excited to try that one now.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@Lauraroach @MDBuds I have Fibromyalgia caused by a car accident & have the same issues with pain & muscle spasms. I was on 16 different medications before starting marijuana. Now I take 2 for other minor stuff. I’m growing also because of high costs of dispensaries. Plus I’ve purchased some not so good stuff. I save $$ growing my own & feel quality is so much better. Question mdbuds: when I use high thc plants it knocks me out or gives couch lock & fogs my brain :exploding_head: . Are all high thc strains like that? If not should I look into a certain type of plant or maybe a hybrid? One reason why I stay with stativas is because I haven’t had a problem with those.

1 Like

@LilMic no not all high thc cultivars are like that. It is partly due to when the plant is harvested as well as the entourage effect from the terpene profile.

When harvesting the more amber trichomes you have the more cbn and couch lock it will have. This in combination with terpenes such as myrcene and linalool will increase that relaxing couch lock effect.

For a clearer more euphoric and higher energy focused high you would want your plant harvested with all milky white trichomes and you would want to grow cultivars that have terpene profiles that increase energy and focus.

If you want something that helps central pain but also treats fatigue and gives a clear headed high I would look into cultivars such as purple haze, orange skunk, agent orange, cannatonic, gold leaf, etc…

You’d want cultivars with enough thc/cbd to assist the terpenes in treating the inflammation, muscle spasms, and central pain caused by the fibromyalgia. You’d also look at strains with terpene profiles that include limonene, pinene, and caryophyllene. Caryophellene is one of those terpenes that can either be relaxing or assist with focus depending on what other terpenes are in the mix and it aids with the effectiveness of cbd at treating inflammation and central pain issues.

3 Likes