Ask MD Buds (cultivars and terpenes for medicinal use)

Hey there cannafam! This topic is to ask about or discuss medicinal strains for different ailments. I have a lot of people ask my opinion on different threads and figured a topic would help. So, instead of tagging me in unrelated topics just come here and ask your question.

Anything sensitive you don’t want to discuss publicly can be discussed in private message so I can help you guys find the right strains for the job.

Happy growing folks. :v::call_me_hand::metal:

:disclaimer: these are my personal views and should not be heeded as medical advice. Always speak with a Dr before medicating with cannabis.

11 Likes

Hey buddy, I will easily start. This is an important subject and will get even more intriguing as the CBD side of canna gets the attention it has deserved

Anxiety:

Depression:

Insomnia:

Pain:

and CANCER:

Sorry to ask for so much. Please feel free to respond in a methodological format so you can answer little by little. Even Sub-Titles will be appreciated…anything of “your expertise” will be appreciated

I know I asked it on a pretty OPEN ENDED fashion, sorry for that

5 Likes

@Mrb53004 no worries man. Open ended is a start. There are “base” cultivars that are my personal go tos that I have grown personally for each ailment you listed. I’ll spend some time and get a basic list for each one including cultivars and terpenes.

In the long run though it all boils down to the cause, or type, of each ailment on what should be used.

Like anxiety for instance, is it chemical (like adhd), or is it situational/environmental (stress at work/negative home life), or is it trauma based (like ptsd)?

Same for depression and insomnia.

Pain, is it nociceptive, neuropathic, or central? Each type requires different cultivars to treat the cause and symptoms that go with it such as fatigue, insomnia, depression from chronic pain, etc…

And of course, the big C. There are so many cancers and ways to treat with cannabis that I could write a book. Lol

So I guess for this list I will just start with the most common ones and maybe get a discussion going and bring others in with specific ailments or questions.

Cannabis treats the whole person, not just the symptoms but I will do my best to answer this.

Thanks man.

6 Likes

I am 73. Osteo arthritis, degeneration of upper discs c3-c9. Tremors. Lack of energy. Chronic pain. I am a recovering addict. Much harder stuff. Last year I was eating opiods like candy barely able to walk even with a cane. I decided to make a change. This winter I have had pain but can get around without thr cane. Cannibis helps. A lot. No pills sice before thanksgiving. I sure would like strain information. At this time I am auto only here. Legal indoor growing only. Any advice appreciated.

2 Likes

@MoOG do those tremors come with muscle spasms and cramping as well? Are you currently taking any other medications? Cannabinoids and terpenes can react either synergistically or negatively with certain medications. Just want to cross my ts and dot my is.

1 Like

No cranps or severe spasms. Muscles do tense from pain. And I forgot about neuropathy in my feet. The temors are normally mild but present. But sometimes I can not hold my phone still. Or grip things well.

Sorry currently I take metformin for type 2 diabetes. But that is all at tge moment

@MoOG sounds like you could benefit from either gold leaf auto or cbd white widow auto. Both help with nociceptive and neuropathic pain as well as inflammation. In small doses the uplifting euphoria can help fight fatigue and ward off depression. In large doses they can help with insomnia. An added benefit is they both also have medicinal amounts of myrcene which works with metformin to increase insulin sensitivity to help keep blood sugars under control.

Terpenes in both strains are myrcene (sedative, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, sedative, and anti-cancer) that acts synergistically with THC as almost an opiate like muscle relaxant effect. Limonene (anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, increases cell permeability of cannabinoids and terpenes making cannabis more effective, and it uplifts mood and increases vigor). Caryophyllene (anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, interacts with cb1 and cb2 receptors increasing effectiveness of cbd, eases tremors, prevents and helps heal osteoporosis, analgesic, seizure prevention.) Humulene (anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, appetite suppressant). Trans-nerolidol (sedative).

Both can be found at homegrowncannabisco.com

5 Likes

Thanks so much. They will be on my next shopping list. Bubblegum and Amnesia kush autos help a lot with tremors and arthritic pain do they have the same terpenes. What would happen if I mix the gold leaf and cbd ww and smoke it? Will it enhance effects or negate effects. I appreciate the knowledge.

1 Like

@MoOG they would enhance each other because they have the same terpenes at varying levels and both have cbd.

I’m actually working on a photoperiod cross right now of gold leaf and white widow. Hoping to get it around 25% thc and 10-15% cbd with the resin production of the white widow and the terpene production of the gold leaf.

I have autos too but it will be a few generations before those are stable enough to test.

3 Likes

@MoOG as for the amnesia kush and bubblegum they have similar terpenes. Just heavier on the pinene, limonene, and linalool with little myrcene and less caryophyllene.

@MoOG linalool is a great terp. Amazing for pain, inflammation, tremors, and stress. It’s one of my favorites.

1 Like

I know this is going to be the MOST POPULAR thread the site has ever seen. Hope you have not bitten off too much. Many casual tokers really enjoy the medicinal side without even knowing it. Now you have opened the pool and WE WILL JUMP IN…Thanks Bro…this is one of the things that really sets you apart…You have no idea how much you are appreciated…

Pain - my wife has EDS…a genetic issue with collagen production. Her joints dislocated even from lying in bed the wrong way or too long on one side. Her feet dislocate when walking. She also has Fibromyalgia…so the pain is usually nuero associated. Nueropathy is common in Ehlers Danlos Syndrome… Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a disease that weakens the connective tissues of your body. These are things like tendons and ligaments that hold parts of your body together. EDS can make your joints loose and your skin thin and easily bruised. It also weakens her blood vessels and organs. Anxiety from PTSD and Depression rage, much due to her Hashimoto thyroid disorder. These autoimmune disorders add to the anxiety and depression making it both situational as well as neurological and environmental.
I am caged across 5 vertebrae…c12-L5…Crushed them in an accident. I do not take any meds except for enlarged prostate…I am pretty good with diet and active…shit, I got 2 young kids. They keep me well active in my late 60’s, almost 70. Mostly concerned for her…insomnia is bad, anxiety and depression are MAJOR and Pain…IF she is ok, I am ok…I think you know what I mean

Wifey is an ALL DAY LONG smoker, edible and tincture. I puff occasionally as COPD is a struggle with me.

7 Likes

Thank you. I am sure I will drive you crazy with questions down the road. Where can I research terpenes at that is a valid source of information?

1 Like

@Mrb53004 based on my knowledge of EDS I would suggest Blueberry, Gold Leaf, and White Widow for night and evening use. A cbd Blueberry or CBD white widow would be beneficial as well.

Blueberry I think would work the best for night time use as it usually promotes sleep and it has a higher terpene content than most modern cannabis breeds. Blueberry’s main terpenes are Caryophyllene, myrcene, pinene, humulene, and linalool. This combination of terpenes brings a state of calm and lifted spirits while combating inflammation, pain, and muscles spasms associated with EDS.

White widow is similarly effective but more uplifting and euphoric and not as sedative in small doses and can be used to also help treat fatigue in the evening.

Gold leaf is very effective as well in small does for treating fatigue and in higher doses in the evening to promote sleep. It has the added benefit of cbd as well which increases it’s medicinal value and ability to fight pain and inflammation making it more effective. It has a similar terpene profile to white widow. Both are high in caryophyllene, mycrene, limonene, humulene, and trans-nerolidol.

For day time I would suggest maybe sour diesel or super sour diesel. Both or euphoric uplifting higher energy strains with slightly different terpene profiles. Sour Diesel has higher thc and higher terpene content but can be bad for those with anxiety since it can have THC over 30% and has high limonene which can cause cardiac issues. Sour D terpenes are limonene, myrcene, and caryophyllene making it a good pain killing day strain. Super sour diesel on the other hand has lower thc and lower limonene so it isn’t as potent in that regard but it has a broader terpene palette. It has myrcene, caryophyllene, limonene, pinene, and linalool making it more clear headed and less cerebral but it is still effective and combating tremors, muscles spasms, and pain.

As for you @Mrb53004 strains high in pinene and caryophyllene would be easier for you to use since both are bronchodilators and help expand your lungs.

For both of you switching to vaping or edibles and oils would be more effective. You can avoid tar build up in lungs and tar plaque in your blood vessels which can lead to heart attacks and stroke in medicinal patients that require higher dosing.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

3 Likes

@MoOG i search and scour medical journals myself. You can just Google cannabis research or cannabis medical journals and dig through all of the pdfs and articles to find what you need. I also have books written by endocrinologists that specialize in the endocannibinoid system that are useful resources.

2 Likes

Hello there. I would be interested in what you would recommend for PTSD type anxiety. My son passed away unexpectedly in November last and I am finding myself easy to startle, fatigued and the tightness in my shoulders is effecting my neck. In other words, wound tighter than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I found a bit of relief from WW AK47 fast version, which was my first plant grow and harvest. The plant was a seedling when he passed. I purchased autoflowers for a new grow, Jack Herer and Northern lights X Mazar. Will either of these offer my body some relaxation?

1 Like

@woodstock they will both offer different benefits and I will list them below.

Jack Herer is a good clear headed uplifting strain that offers relaxation and relief from tension while also giving you enough energy to fight fatigue and get things done. It has different phenotypes though. Some indica leaning and some sativa leaning. They all offer the same basic high. Some are just more relaxing while others are more energetic. The main terpenes found in Jack Herer are myrcene, pinene, humulene, limonene, linalool, caryophyllene, and terpinolene in varying concentrations depending on phenotype.

As far as treating ptsd it will work easily as a day time strain for curbing anxiety and relieving the stress from ptsd.

Northern Lights X Mazar is a good indica dominant strain. There are a few pheno variances of this one as well but all are indica leaning with almost narcotic pain killing effects. They promote sleep and offer a slightly cerebral mellow high that eliminates stress. It’s supposedly even helps with night terrors and bad dreams associated with PTSD making sleep more restful. The terpenes commonly found in this cross are myrcene, pinene, caryophyllene, linalool, and humulene.

So, short answer, yes they should work for you if the right dosage is taken. Just remember that with higher energy strains like Jack Herer to take it low and slow otherwise the cure becomes the disease and it can actually increase anxiety and make symptoms worse.

Always use the lowest effective dosage.

Happy growing man. :v::call_me_hand::metal:

4 Likes

@woodstock I would look into cbd strains as well. They don’t get you as high but cbd is always a good choice to promote wellness. It’s very calming and it allows you to stay more alert which often is very beneficial for those with PTSD, especially in regard to hyper vigilance and flashbacks or memory associations.

2 Likes

@Mrb53004 I’d throw CBD Mango in there too from homegrown. It’s a great medicinal evening time strain. I can’t believe I forgot to mention it. Maybe because I haven’t grown it personally yet to attest to it’s effectiveness, but I did get pretty excited about it and picked some up purely because of its medicinal potential and word of mouth from a few friends that swore by it. I’m working it into a few of my breeding projects now.

It can treat all of your wife’s needs and depending on tolerance level she might be able to use it as a day time strain too. It fights fatigue but like most hybrids it ends with a mellow body high.

Another one i’m excited to test out is the CBD Super Silver Haze which seems like it would definitely be a good day strain.

The cbd 1:30 seems like it would be good for day and to breed with but without higher thc levels i’m not sure how helpful it would be for someone needing more pain management than cbd and terpenes alone.

3 Likes