Ask MD Buds (cultivars and terpenes for medicinal use)

@MDBuds ty very much!! Hope all is wellšŸ˜Š

1 Like

MDbuds I would like to get your input please.

I like to extract from my bud in olive oil with lecithin like you talked about before. No problems there.

In a nutshell, my method is to use my digital control crockpot. I Float the flowers and the oil and let it simmer about 220Ā° for about 2-6 hours (experimenting). The question comes in the decarboxylation . Iā€™ve done both pre-decarbox of the flowers in the oven in a very similar fashion to what you suggest. The results in the oven first always taste like a bale of hay. And I have also put the raw flowers (bone dry not fresh/wet) straight into the crockpot. The question is, do you think one method is better than the other? I find when I put it into the crockpot to decarboxylate in the olive oil itself; I tend to have a much more flavorful oil. There are way more terpenes in the finished product. When I decarb the buds in the oven, my house smells like the dispensary. I feel like Iā€™m volatilizing off all the terpenes. Do you think if I decarb in my crockpot to hold onto the terpenes Iā€™m selling myself short on potency? I found when I do it this way my batches taste way better, but for what ever reason my potency seems to vary more. Itā€™s not different varieties, Iā€™ll work with the same pound from the same plant. The exact same plant and get varying results. Any tips for me would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

No one I share with notices the difference, just me. I like a little of the oil in my fresh cup of coffee every morning. Thatā€™s how I start my day feeling great. And it bugs the hell out of me I have not been able to nail this down in like 10 years of experimenting.:confused::scream_cat:

2 Likes

@Noddykitty you are right that oven decarb loses more terpenes than decarbing in the oil as you infuse because the fats in the oil both protect and bind with terpenes to help preserve more of them.

Here lies the rub. Decarbing in oil is not as efficient as decarbing straight in the oven. It has hot and cold spots and itā€™s hard to get it to the temperature needed without burning the oil or the cannabis on the stove top and doing it in the double boiler you donā€™t get high enough heat to fully decarb the thc and you get very little of the cbd decarbed.

I have personally been experimenting with something I call a steam decarb to help preserve more terpenes but still get a decent decarb before infusion.

I use an oven. Get two small ceramic bowls. Like those super small ones they serve fancy puddings in at restaurants. Fill them with distilled water and put them on the baking sheet with your ground buds. Make a foil tent over the baking sheet to keep steam in.

Decarb at 240f for approximately 45 to 60 min.

It creates a water vapor layer over the buds and helps preserve some terpenes. Much like using fruit peels or boveda packs to cure/preserve buds.

After that just infuse as normal. Itā€™s a good middle ground between infusion decarb and oven decarb. You get better potency than infusion decarb and preserve more terpenes than traditional oven decarb so itā€™s right in the middle of the two so far in my experiments.

I got the idea from steam distillation methods and eventually will be making a steam decarb still. It will steam distill the cannabinoids and terpenes but the cbd and thc will drop into a decarb chamber from the wick and the terpenes and other hydrocarbons will go to their prospective chambers. Once completed you can mix the pure terpene distillates back into the decarbed thc/cbd distillates after infusion with the carrier oil so you can get the full terpene profile and experience in an edible similar to that of smoking.

3 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts and input. I will try that In my next batch. What you say makes sense.

What do you think would happen if I decarboxylated the flowers normal. Extract my normal way in the oil. And then last minute added some fresh flowers to re-infused with some yummy terpenes. Do you think that would work or it would be a waste of my time?

2 Likes

@Noddykitty that will work well. Iā€™ve done it on multiple occasions. It adds extra steps but itā€™s worth it imo and it also adds more thhca and cbda into the infusion for a more well rounded feco.

The steam decarb was just my way of trying to simplify it and not take those extra steps. Lol

2 Likes

Or make some great aroma therapy candles.:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have a question with people ,growers, consumers who currently struggle with health issues to be specific inflammation! Does any know of are aware a ultimate and most effective strain out there to exist to is absolutely perfect for inflammation and how could it be used to fully take advantage of the medical properties of that strain please and thank you community !

1 Like

@Sirdabzalot unfortunately thereā€™s no one and done ultimate inflammation busting strain. Each strain will effect each individual differently. Also, the treatment for the inflammation varies based on the cause of the inflammation and different strains work better for different types of inflammation.

To better answer your question to help find the best strain for your needs I would need to know the cause of your inflammation. Is it from injury? Auto immune issues? Allergy? Reaction to medication? From hypertension? Etcā€¦

The combination of terpenes and cannabinoids needed will be dependent on the cause of the inflammation.

As a broad scope though generally strains high in cbd, caryophyllene, limonene, myrcene, linalool, and other inflammation fighting terpenes will be beneficial for combating all types of inflammation. To find the best one for you though Iā€™d need some questions answered.

1 Like

Specifically gastrointestinal issues inflammation that causes ulcers and gastritis and builds up acid which then leads to nausea and vomiting. Pretty much I am critical when it comes diet due to sensitive stomach

1 Like

@Sirdabzalot is the gastritis a side effect of an auto immune disorder or diabetes? Or is is just from stress and age?

1 Like

Auto immune I think would be most accurate

1 Like

@Sirdabzalot alright. I have a few more questions before I can suggest a strain. Are you currently taking any other medications? Cbd, thc, and certain terpenes can react negatively or positively with certain medications. Do you have high blood pressure or hypertension? High thc and limonene can exacerbate hypertension issues.

Yes Iā€™m taking omeprazole for gastritis and acid also zofran for nausea. I have neither high blood pressure or hypertension.

@Sirdabzalot I would suggest tangerine, Durban poison, cbd mango, amnesia haze autoflower, and other similar strains.

Cbd sour tsunami or cbd white widow would likely work as well.

As far as your medications they should not react with cannabis. Omeprazole has very few studies I have found but so far they do not show any reactions to cannabinoids.

3 Likes

@MDBuds Does it make sense to blend strains when concocting a tincture? I have combined the last few ccs of different alcohol tinctures, and the result seemed kind of muddled. But perhaps a more thoughtful approach might work.

@Bushdoc you can blend cultivars to get the result you need but you need to know what terpene profile each cultivar has. I make a blended rso myself that is a mixture of 5 different cultivars that I hand picked for the needs of myself and my lady.

Have to make sure the terps play nice with each other to get the final result you want.

2 Likes

@MDBuds how do you go about finding the information on terpenes combos & medications not good with med marijuana? Where did you find these resources? I know it can effect some but do not know where to find the info. Ty in advance :blush:

@LilMic I use medical journals and trusted websites. Generally with medication you can just do a quick search for the medications reactions. Then you just have to read and dig through everything until you find the information you need.

Many times the company that makes the medication will have the studies posted on their website as well and any study they didnā€™t perform themselves will usually have a third party link to read the study done by another private lab.

1 Like

@LilMic as far as the terpenes I use public lab data and the smell and taste profile listed on sellerā€™s web sites to extrapolate the data needed.

Many cannabis labs will archive their old data and make it accessible to the public.

There are also many websites that you can search strains on that will tell you the average terpene profiles of strains.

1 Like

Awesome thank you very much :grin:

1 Like