WW autoflower rookie just looking for tips

Not a problem…always happy to help…keep us updated :beers::facepunch:

Been a little less than two weeks since I started coaxing a bit more LST work outta them and did the last little bit of defoliation that I’ll do during flower on these AF’s. I think they’re responding pretty well. I will say white widow autoflowers have been a fun change of pace to grow… and very tolerant of my ignorance lol.

5 Likes

Just an update and looking for opinions about these two sisters.
Both WW Autos. 1 that I topped (late however) and given a little more LST and the 2nd that has only recently been touched. A little leaf removal and a late in the game tie back for lighting. The 2nd is budding up with large thickening buds, but with noticeably less flower than its sister. Little sis has a lot more flowers but is lagging behind substantially in maturity of flower. Is it just the nature of genetics or am I missing an opportunity here? 68 days in for both.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’m late. Just curious, what’s the ground temperature and what are they sitting on? I appreciate your patience as I tried to read and my eyes are just tired.

1 Like

Ground temp is about 70. They’re sitting in aluminum pans lined with landscape paper. I switch the paper out every couple of days just to gauge how much water is passing thru. Kind of how I’m educating myself.

Ps - the one plant that is not maturing at the same rate was also very stubborn germinating and kicking its shell casing. Just lags behind altogether lol.

Probably like humans she just requires her own time. Maybe micro increase her food and gauge it x 3 days to see? These other folks can tell you more about her genetics, but she just looks like a preemie to me. @MDBuds seems good for this one because I think she might benefit from something in her water, too, that I can’t brain with right now. I’m just winging it with intuition, so I’m good if I’m way out in left field, don’t be embarrassed for me. :joy::v:

3 Likes

Lol,
I appreciate all the tips, advise, and bizarre musings alike lol. Every bit of feedback I get on this forum has been educational, kind, fun, and at the very least, entertaining.
I agree that she’s likely just the runt and running her own course. Always helpful if somebody sees something I don’t. I’d still like her to achieve greatness lol.

Thanks for the input!

4 Likes

If that is your intent, then it shall be. If you waiver and disbelieve, then she will, too. They are beautiful! :v::herb:

4 Likes

I too have occasionally had these “preemies” or slow growers, or heck, even some sad “Charlie Brown - Lanky Christmas tree kinda Franken-weed-stein” LOL! Sometimes genetics and phenotypes throw some just FUN and wild stuff out there. To me, a part of that whole natural “growth” cycle (and the unique differences and phenotypes) is what makes the growing/breeding/experimentation so fun and passionate for those of us nutty enough to geek out on all that plant goodness.
:seedling: :seedling:

1 Like

@HippiePa ;
In all honesty, like you, we all have a learning curve of growing with new tech in a “new world” (ie: lights/fans/humidifiers, etc)…Sure isn’t like growing in the closet back in the 1970’s! :wink: I think your plants are great, seriously… We all learn, we have some that just astound the heck out of us with what they turn out and others we primp and pamper and then just are “meh” plants. It’s part of the fun.

I consider each and every grow something to both learn from and also to occasionally step out of my comfort zone to try something “new”. Lemme give ya an example… I’m pretty lazy and so have always pretty much done the SOG set up in the Mylar tent like you. I never had the patience for the tents and trellis and what not. So I saw that a few folks came up with either small tomato cages or else just a small trellis/ladder on one side (like a house plant)…

So, I kinda made my own weird “Kanashii Hotep’s” SCRoG set up to try my hand at a dear friends Sativa heavy plants in a couple months. It won’t work for everyone, but I adapt what works for me and really make those techniques my own… I think we ALL do to some degree. We keep doing what works for us, but also are continuously learning things along the way…

:peace_symbol: :seedling:

1 Like

Thanks for the comments!
It’s all hobby/passion for me. After 45 years of smoking I’ve mostly given it up besides giving in to a toke or two of a harvest… I’m guessing. I’ll supply my spouse and friends but really, it’s been all about a form of relaxation and the joy of watching it grow, challenging myself to learn.
As you mentioned, I grew some homegrown rag weed back in the 70’s. Tossed seeds in the dirt and MAYBE topped them if I got around to it lol.

Now I’m trying everything new just to try it. From building my own lights to hot glue and bamboo skewer trellis lol. I have started to care more about the quality/quantity of a grow and that’s taken the passion to learn even higher.

Which is where this forum has been an incredible source of knowledge and ideas. Great group of people too.

Thanks again for the comments!

Peace

2 Likes

@HippiePa it’s just the nature of their genetics and how they are responding to training and environmental stress. I find I usually get a larger yield out of the ladies that are slower to flower and mature and I personally attribute that to the increased veg time and potentially larger root system. The bigger the root the bigger the fruit.

I have never topped a white widow auto, but I can say that the “runt” that flowered late will likely give you a better yield in my experience. Currently in my grows I have 3 plants that were far behind the others that are currently surpassing their siblings in yield even though they are two weeks behind in flowering and maturity.

4 Likes

Nice tie-down!!! :sunglasses::+1::facepunch:

1 Like

Hi I have never grown an auto, but its in the plans for my next grow, I was wondering if an auto can be cloned? or is the veg cycle too short? thanks

I’ll be completely honest I’ve never tried to clone an auto. BUT I have seen people on here that have prolonged the veg stage of autos by transplanting them…so I suppose in theory if you clipped it early enough it may be possible.
@Kronic you ever try cloning autos

1 Like

I have cloned them but it does not change life cycle. The clones still mature same time as the parent. Tried that years ago when autoflower just hit the market

4 Likes

Mike for the clutch!!! I figured someone had to have tried it. :beers:

1 Like

Yea they just stay the same age as the parent plant and will flower super fast. You can try to reveg it but it’s incredibly hard to have a successful reveg. Takes a long time too. Better off growing new ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes