What is your ODDEST phenotype?

Strange black phenotype?
Strain: “G-13” (From Homegrown Cannabis Co.)
Grow Conditions: Soil. 2 SpiderFarmer T2000 lights. 11 LIGHT/13 dark. 73-69(F) RH 40%.
NOT my first grow. I have grown for decades. Never seen this. The plant germinated/grew and vegged NORMALLY until I flipped over to FLWR. Within 3 days ALL flowering nodes turned PITCH BLACK (with white girly whiskers) and well… You can see what is happening! ALL fan leaves and stems normal NO anthroxacins (purpling), compare to an L.A Confidential which is right next to it! Right now both plants are in week 5 of flowering. All SUGAR leaves on my G13 are all BLACK…Pitch black!!! I have seen weird PHENOTYPES, but never this…a G-13 everyone!!! This is not photoshopped or using any “blurples”. This strain should NOT be doing this?? Could this be a MIXED up seed from HGCC?? a Pheno? (she is loading up the tricomes on the sugar leaves which is awesome- as she will be turned into tinture!)
attached are photos from when she was in week 2/3/5 of flower…

photos from today. ALL branches have this…Even the most hidden lowest nodes…therefore it IS genetic and not a disease or light process. :wink:

Would LOVE to see YOUR weirdest phenotype or “mystery” seed? (although this came from HCC and I’ve never had a problem yet with them…) NEAT pheno! I love her. :peace_symbol: :seedling:

5 Likes

I think all the experimental crossing and recrossing, either introducing too many or too few new genes leads to instability. So you might get freaks seemingly out of nowhere.

1 Like

@kanashiihawk black coloring is still anthocyanins. It’s just producing so many of them they appear to be black but they’re really a deep dark purple/blue.

This is actually a phenotypic expression of a rare genotype of G-13 that takes after one of the parents. Rumored to either be a dark black Afghan landrace or from the sativa genes mixed in sometime after the 80s from a Vietnamese black male. There’s no factual record of it, but the black g-13s are rare and sought after. I’d take some cuts myself and preserve it or reveg it after flower and keep it as a mom.

8 Likes

@MDBuds can I take some cuts/snips now even when it has flowered? (If so, what is the “correct” way to do this)? I’ve had a few people tell me now to grab some cuts! :wink: (Sorry- typing one handed. Broke my rt hand nearly 3 months ago…Finally get cast off this friday!) :seedling: :peace_symbol:
Warmly,
Jackie

1 Like

@kanashiihawk yeah you can. Flowering clones will still root and reveg. Just take them as you normally would from the lowest branches then clip or pinch the flowers off as part of the clone prep so it goes back to focusing on roots instead of trying to keep flowering. They take a little longer to root than vegging clones but they’ll still root.

3 Likes

Count on MDbuds to give us the botany for five dollars words. Kinda what I was thinking, but never took the class, grin!

Take one look and it’s “yup, melted the whole damn box of crayons to get that color.” Lol.

5 Likes

There are a lot of strains that flower similar to that. Currently growing a sour diesel that started flowering the same way.

Sour Diesel day 22 of flower

Sour diesel day 21… Lemon haze in the background

But when they first start they look more dark brown/black and it is kind of weird compared to the yellow beauties on the lemon haze diesel.

3 Likes

Thanks! I will be pulling snips from her today. Appreciate it!
Jackie

1 Like

I know, right. I have to have my scientific dictionaries handy when @MDBuds is trying to enlighten us.

4 Likes

It’s a beauty. I hope you’re able to take a cutting and reproduce her.

1 Like

I am trying…Thanks to MDBuds and a few others- I pulled several “snips” and now have them in the cloning chamber hoping to grow roots on them. :wink: Thanks everyone.
Warmly,
Jackie :peace_symbol: :seedling:

1 Like

@kanashiihawk awesome. Hope those clones take for you.

Any idea which breed of g-13 it is BTW?

1 Like

Er, enlighten me…How do I know which “flavor” (breed) G13 I have. I bought some from HCC and a few were given to me by our own Mr. B… To be honest, I am not 100% sure whether it is a @Mrb53004 “creation” that he gifted me or one that came with the HCC(G13) seeds I ordered last year! Will be updating my grow diary within the next couple days with more photos as well.
Warmly,
Jackie :peace_symbol: :seedling:

@kanashiihawk the original g-13 died out a while back because the sensi seeds mother died. Some breeders tried to revive it from old seed stock or from breeding the crosses such as the g-13 haze and the g-13 hash plant.

I forgot which one homegrown had so I was just asking which one. I looked it up on their site though and it’s supposed to be the “original” one. If it is one of the breeders probably held on to those seeds or cuts for a long time for it to be coming back now.

1 Like

I have cloned a flowering plant and the clones flower. I’ve had experienced growers tell me cloning ain’t worth it - 25% reduction in yield and the time it takes. You can grow a new plant in the same time period.

Or as someone else mentioned- it may have been an “accidental” hybrid. (ie: has other than supposed to genetics). Either way, she is acting very, very sativa-ish (I’ve been updating her on my grow diaries… https://homegrowndiary.com/diary/1336-g13-grow-guide/week/6… In fact I will putting up new photos this week as my arm is out of my cast now…

(I had a “boxers fracture” of my right 4 & 5th meta’s etc) was in cast for nearly 8 weeks… re-learning to use my rt hand again! :wink: What is it with me and the weird/phenos? I had @Mrb53004 male “Frankies” too! :peace_symbol: :seedling:
Warmly,
Jackie

1 Like

The UNUSUAL and neat G13 phenotype is getting CHOPPED on Tuesday. Figured I would try and get some final photos of her before chopping her. I will post more photos of her and better ones in my grow diaries here on HCC “G13”. Happy growing all!
I made some clones of this during flower- we’ll see if they “take” :slight_smile: :seedling: :peace_symbol:
Warmly,
Jackie

3 Likes

As an odd aside…We cut and cured this rare G13 and this thing acts like a sativa powerhouse… A real pity since it nearly gave my 35 yr old son an angina attack and me nearly a PTSD attack…Neither of us can do heavy sativas period… It is OK though. As a veteran, I am trading her to another veteran who is a tattoo artist who is doing my tattoo work :slight_smile: I guess things have a way of working out in the end… She was a nice “head high” until she caused me to see weird movements out the corner of my eye (like someone coming in to hit me, so I was constantly “swiping” at my vision or flinching). To bad I got the “Willy Wonka Golden Ticket” and it doesn’t agree with my biology or medicinal needs :frowning:

1 Like