Week 3 stacking buds

Now that I’m well into flower should I quit tucking branches under the trellis net? Or will they quit stretching on their own?

I’m afraid if they keep growing taller I’m going to run out of room under my lights (I only have about 14 more inches till they are too close to the lights).

2 Likes

can you give us a wider shot? I would like to see more of the canopy.
This is where I used to run in to issues. Each strain has different growth rates and even the same strain can grow at different rates. I would run in to light burn issues as some tips far outreached others. If the space is there, and these are defoliated enough to not result in mold, and you have trimmed off or decided the lower nodes are not important…yes. If you want to keep the lower nugs, no…but be prepared for them to reach the light.
We get to a point where we are afraid to stress the plants and DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ANY BUDS but sometimes we surrender the weak to increase the strong
I do not know the genus / strain…If these are autoflower, if you start nipping lower buds / nugs, you could stress them into hermies. Same is true for certain photo strains, like GG4. They are prone to stress.
Define “WELL INTO FLOWER” - it tells how much loner STRETCH will continue (along with strain)
How far have they stretched so far?
Week 3 is not that far in and easily, on the average, I would expect a minimum of 12-18 inches MORE OF STRETCH for most any plant
It is a hard call…damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Which is the lesser of the evils
More data is needed to make a good call

1 Like

I’m having the same concern :worried:

1 Like

This is day 19 of flower, the strain is Bruce Banner and I lollopped them on day 1 of flower.

4 Likes

Bruce auto or bruce photo? Bruce can grow from 3-6 ft indoors. Auto’s are shorter but remember, it is a Sativa dominant so it can take off. 3rd week of flower, you should be close to end of BIG STRETCH (3-5 wks). I would not be too concerned but I think you easily got another 6" to foot of growth coming.
14inches…to touch the light? No more squeeze room?

some of the taller stems… IF you can find a place to tuck…YEP.
In the right. left and center you got some space to play but that back right corner near the fan looks pretty full/tall. Hard to tell from the front shot but again, if you got room, get them under the net

Now I remember why I got a 7’ tall tent…lol. I had my drivers customized with 6’ leads so I could gain an extra few inches under the lights and keep excess heat out of the tent. I mounted them ON TOP of my tent. A pleasure to be able to stand and have upward room in my tent
I had an 8bar light built and that is a regret. It is a killa light but a pain in the a__ to move. My 4th light. I think, if I ever want more, I will go with a shape like the rectangular. The bars spread the light pretty good but they make it difficult to get around…over / under, sides…

1 Like

The 14 inches is when I get to 24" from light. I already moved my exhaust fan and driver outside my tent to make more head space. My tent is 7’ tall but these photo’s are tall. My first net is 32" off the floor and the 2nd is 40" from the floor. But if they keep growing I’m going to run out of room.
I have another question my understanding is that since I grow in soil " I don’t need Cal-mag" is this correct?

While I was taking that last pic I found this

And I I noticed the bucket was still damp on top it’s been 4 days since I watered them and this plant is always the first to need a drink.

3 Likes

What lights are you running? If your lights have a veg and bloom option and you have the veg option turned off you might not be getting enough blue light to control stretch. I have mars hydros over some plants and get the “normal” stretch but I have some plants under custom cob leds and those plants have very minimal stretch at the most 6 in total but the buds are great under both.

1 Like

you can get to within 12" of the lights…so you got some room there
cal/mag…even if you are growing in soil (unless you have a TRUE LIVING SOIL, and even then…). You might get by with molasses (Blackstrap)
Blackstrap molasses is high in calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium. It also contains sulfur and a host of micronutrients. We add it to our water to help the soil but you can foliar spray with it and the plants will absorb all those amendments
I see some drooping up thee in the front right. Either over or underwater. If your plant is DRINKING A TON, you should see impressive growth or some indication. Possible soil issues or what we (me and my mouse) call----bad spots. Parts of the container where the soil has become dense and does not allow for good root structure. You could insert probes (like a pencil) into the soil to feel how it goes through it…carefully

2 Likes

I have 6 Hlg qb288 v2 Rspec & 600 watt Meanwell

1 Like

Here is another pic

3 Likes

good lights…some nutrient (phosphorous) and ph issues / or watering-soil issue like I described earlier. Are they all in that front right plant or dispersed throughout?

1 Like

all 1 plant the rest look great

I agree with Mike you shouldn’t have a problem running those lights closer than 24 in.

1 Like

something going on in the soil in that pot. Consider an ammonia treatment. Google it or ask @MDBuds , he might know betterr
I use urine…It turns into ammonia and kills bacteria. Fresh is NITROGEN LOADED, especially first urine of the morning and not female urine, that is different. Takes a couple days to turn to ammonia. I water it down (1 0z per quart) and watch the ph

2 Likes

The last 2 grows (auto flowers) I would let my water sit 24 hours with aeration use PH down to 6.5 add nutes and feed. I just started doing it different the last couple of weeks, now I let my water sit 24 hours with aeration, add nutes then PH up to 6.5 and feed. Could this be my problem? Am I PH ing wrong

1 Like

Well, you are supposed to check PH JUST BEFORE YOU WATER…Aeration changes / floats values. So does exposure to light, co2 (in our air)…
Soil is a very corrective medium. AS long as you are close to the 5.8-6.8 range…should be fine but having to ph up or ph down…be careful with ph up/down…they can wreck havoc. When I make a nute solution, I let THAT aerate for 24 hrs before use…check the ph and feed. If my ph is that off, I chuck the solution

2 Likes

I had never checked ph after adding nutes (foxfarm trio) until a couple of weeks ago. the foxfarm drops my ph. My tap water ph 7.18 add foxfarm ph drops to 4.16

1 Like

that is when you let it areate. The oxygenation floats / raise the ph

1 Like