Wedding cake Phenotypes

Popped two Wedding Cake beans (all germinated thank you HGC!) I manifolded the ladies and nurtured them through the grow phase and what has me in a pickle is that they are two completely different plants by phenotype. One is short, stocky, huge wide leaves and the other is wispy narrow leaves and I have had to be creative with the LST to get her to the correct height. Also, the thin wispy one expressed flowers a full week before her stocky companion. Plus wispy lady is oh so much more fragrant than her tent mate. This definitely not me first grow (30 plus) and I have never seen such a dramatic difference in phenotype. Either, genetics is squirrelly or a different bean found its way into the bag. Any help here?

2 Likes

@tippy69 you just have a pehno that takes after Durban poison. That’s common with hybrids to have pheno variance taking after one parent or the other. She’ll be a little more sativa looking but still that enjoyable wedding cake high. Durban poison is a parent to both GSC and Cherry Pie which are the parents for the HCC Wedding Cake.

3 Likes

Thanks MDB – I reckoned it was a shout out to her lineage but the contrast was stark. The two sisters will live out their existence together in harmony. Thanks again.

4 Likes

@tippy69 yeah some pheno variances can be pretty extreme especially with F1 lines. The great thing about a lot of F1 lines though is that even though they have more pheno variations than let’s say an F3 with stabilized traits they usually have something called hybrid vigor which makes the plants hardier and more adaptable. It’s a desirable trait in my opinion because once you start pheno hunting to stabilize a certain phenotype and go to F2 you lose hybrid vigor.

2 Likes

Got new one going too

Uploading: 20201214_133734.jpg…

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info. Here is photo of the tale of two phenotypes – both have been manifolded and the sativa side has also a bunch of LST to keep the height in check.

3 Likes

Check out my GSC x Blue Headband. One is more Sativa leaning, while the other is more short and compact which is Indica leaning. The Indica smells just like blueberries :drooling_face:, while the Sativa smells more danky floral with a twist of sweetness to it :drooling_face:. Now for Bertha aka Stanky, she’s what I would call a more evenly balanced hybrid as far as the leaves and structure of the plant :eyes::heart_eyes::nerd_face::100:

3 Likes

Man, I wish I could grow outside. Just looking at your pictures is relaxing!!

3 Likes

Really pretty. Healthy and flourishing. Great job!!!

2 Likes

Thank you and it’s very relaxing but it’s also a lot of work. I enjoy it though :raised_hands::point_up::100:

1 Like

Me too! Dial it in and good stuff happens!