Visually impaired grower. Not sure what to look for

Hey there folks. As the title suggests, I’m visually impaired, novice grower, so evaluating plants is sketchy at best. Looking for an eyeball or two to critique plants.
Second try with blueberry autos. Light is SF1000, 18/6 schedule from the start, using SF recommended intensity and distance. Soil is ocean forest in three gallon pots, with a starter core of happy frog about two cups in size, within the bigger pot, to ease nute strength on seedlings. That seems to have worked well, getting off to a rapid start.

We are a three days short of six weeks since sprouting. Attempted scrog, strangled the top of one plant, ended up topping it and spreading the limbs. That adventure made me a bit gun shy on the other plant. I gently curled it down some, mostly trying to limit stretch, and get light down to the secondary growth.

At 5 and a half weeks, I’m seeing some leaves yellowing, stretch kinda close to the lights, and I’m not sure how to evaluate bud progress.

Anybody with decent eyes who knows what they’re looking at is encouraged to comment. My guide dog isn’t much help.

1 Like

Another view

Hi @Northcountryguy being visually impaired may be a blessing in regards to not reacting to every small non conformity but concerning your buds development most of use the magnifier to look at the trichomes you can search for this in the forum to see the chart. Auto’s are going to grow/flower and die within their respective timeframes which I believe is 60-80 days. I am sure someone with auto experience will chime in

can you see the pistils? Years ago, we knew nothing about trichomes for timing a harvest, we went by pistils. If you have no new pistil growth (white), and the existing ones are all browning out, she is close…Blueberry is an Indica dominant strain so if you let it go too long, t will just put you to sleep. Harvesting a little early would not hurt

1 Like

Thanks, folks. I bought a digital microscope, one of those wand shaped deals for thirty something dollars, so I’ll be able to look at the small structures when the time comes. Right now I’m more concerned with overall plant development and health. My severely damaged vision means colors are suspect, I don’t see straight lines, etc. so I’m forever studying detail, with my tunnel vision, but lack a good overall impression.

Oh, I should mention They’re pushing close to thirty inches high, despite some tying off to the sides to limit light burn on colas.

Just trying to keep them healthy until they’re looking like an advertisement for seeds, lol

1 Like

they already look like that…pollen LOVEs those new white pistils and you got plenty…If you had a male you would get plenty seeds…Keep posting pics here, everyone will watch out for you

1 Like

Today is day forty two, six weeks since sprouting.
The four stems on the left are the plant I accidentally topped. They’re almost thirty inches tall. The remainder, toward the right and back, is the other plant I didn’t top, and only minimally tied early on.

I’ve removed all the restraints except for the net at this point. I’m thinking thirty inches tall at six weeks has got to be about all they’ll stretch.

Once again, I’m asking for knowledgeable eyeballs to comment on condition of the plants. Thanks.

Pretty good over all. Slight nutrient issues, tiny bit overwatering (may be the cause) but overall…just keep on what you are doing.

Thanks. What clues are you seeing with regard to water and the nutrients?

some slight yellowing to the leaves could indicate watering too often, or not letting the soil dry more before watering/feeding again…

)

Day 45. The tallest of the four stems of my accidentally topped (fim-ed may be the better term) plant on the left is teasing 30 inches tall. The yelllowing continues, as does proliferation of other pigments. I’m noticing the main stem and others on the plant on the right are red/purple, and the leaves not yellowed are picking up all sorts of colors. Our weather in upstate NY is pretty swampy just now, with Henri pushing through. My apartment is 70% rh and warm, despite window AC in an old house. The girls will have to tough it out a bit longer.

1 Like

im upstate ny as well, in the hudson valley, looks like most of the rain is done here, still keeping plants/soil covered until the skys clear…

Yeah, Mike. I’m in albany. Looks like tomorrow will begin drying out

guys, I am growing in HELL so do not concern yourself with the temps…Keep air circulating to help with the high RH
Northcounty - your FLOWERS look great. If your soil is a little depleted / short form all the rain flushing out nutes faster than soil can rebuild them, the leaves will give up their nutes to feed the FLOWERS!!!a good thing and your flowers look fantastic.
As far as the colors, if temps are fluctuating, it could be due to the strain reacting to it.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mike. I figure at this stage of their development, if leaves lose chlorophyll, they aren’t making sugars, and might as well give up whatever they have for the cause.

1 Like

Ok, so what’s with the red stems? First some leaf stems turned red, now it’s the main stalks on the plant that wasn’t topped. The plant I accidentally FIMed hasn’t developed the red stems yet I don’t think. See pics. What causes that? We are at day 47.

are they near the tops of the plant or all over?
If the tops, it comes from the lights and if you have UV and or IR, could be sunburn
Also, as before, could be inherent to the strain
Can be triggered by terpenes…that is a good thing (change of temp, rh, fluctuations in temps/rh / daytime/nighttime temp swings), age
The flowers look great. As long as the buds and NEW GROWTH look as good as they are, not too much to worry about at this point in the game

1 Like

Thanks, Mike. I think some sunburn, some terpine driven maturity. As you say, flowers appear happy.

how far north are you? Night times down to mid 70°…maybe a little lower? Have to remember soil temp and plant temp are 2 separate things and as long as soil is above 55°f, they will continue to GROW…this is the time they FILL out and devleope FLAVOR

1 Like

Just did my morning inspection, and was thinking about overnight temps versus daytime. We are just coming out of the swampy weather that featured Henri. RH was high, tough to effectively cool. Then last night it finally broke. I use a window AC in this hundred plus year old house, and run a four inch dryer duct style air inlet to the tent. Inside the tent, the air inlet dumps out in a back corner, which tends to drip cooler air (when we are so blessed that it all keeps up) onto the one plant more directly than the other. That plant right now is cool to the touch, though the soil isn’t. That’s also the plant with the red main stem. Both plants are showing what I’m guessing is temp induced “fall colors” as well as a little sunburn up top. The new growth is still mostly deep green, and the leaves that have terpine induced “fall colors” are still supple and heathy looking. Note on the lower left, a terpine yellow, almost orange relatively small fan leaf. That’s not sunburn, as adjacent leaves are still deep green. The green/yellow leaves in the path of the brightest light I expect are sun bleached.
I’m gonna just keep doing what I’m doing, let the soil get dry enough to be noticeably light weight, don’t drown em, give em maybe a quart each, and resist the urge to mess with things. As you mentioned, condition of new grown and the terpine colored leaves, nobody showing distress atm, is key.
Meanwhile, here’s hoping the girls stow all that energy in the buds……

The natural cola on the plant not topped is showing nice trichomes when I zoom in (and use a loupe to study it). Steady as she goes……

I appreciate you folks spotting me here. I’m literate and understand basic gardening, but I’m a bit lacking in the processing the visuals, har.

1 Like