Too toxic to smoke?

Greetings to my Cannafriends!! Just found this site today, and I couldn’t be happier. I just harvested my second ever grow. Backyard in Geopots. Sooooo…here’s the deal. Out here in California we’re all trying to figure out if the weeks of fires, really bad Air Quality, and all the toxic ash that has accumulated on anything outside, have destroyed the plants. Can our outdoor grows even be smoked safely?Anybody else have this issue? I did a peroxide water bath as I cut down the plants. There are many testing labs here, and I could have samples tested. But expensive. Anyway, need suggestions on how to detox the weed, and opinions on whether we should just dump the grow.
Thanks much!

2 Likes

I think your best bet would be water curing. It will rinse all of the particulates off of the buds and pull toxins along with starches out of the buds. The thc, cbd, and cbn will stay in the trichomes since they’re fat soluble but you will lose colors and certain flavors and terpenes too so water curing is always a last resort in my opinion. It should salvage your crop though.

Here is a link to water curing.

https://wayofleaf.com/cannabis/growing/water-curing-weed

2 Likes

At minimum I’d be thoroughly washing the buds after harvest. Water curing would definitely be an option as well. And welcome to the forum @AmazonGrow, post some pics for us.

1 Like

@AmazonGrow Welcome to the forum. We are definitely glad to have you! And yes i agree with both @Rye and @MDBuds. They are very knowledgeable people as well, so your truly in good hands with those two! Happy Growing :blush:

3 Likes

@AmazonGrow WELCOME! So happy you found our site and you’re enjoying yourself! I was just speaking with several growmies about this and we all agree you’d have to probably water cure your bud after a thorough bud wash. There are many organic bud washing solutions that include lemon juice and peroxide I believe. Just know with water curing and more in depth bud washing you’ll be faced with color loss, terpene loss, which means flavor loss. Your smoke may end up just not really tasting like much or tasting more hay like. It can salvage it but ash and smoke are millions of particles that with rainfall can cause your plant to uptake through osmosis so to be 100% honest you would need to get a major cola exposed tested to make sure after bud washing and water curing. Otherwise you could be risking smoking toxins, pesticides, carcinogens, honestly who knows what else.

1 Like

Wow–thanks so much @MDBuds, @Rye, (and the other 2 who commented. This system sez I’m new and can only do @ to two this time… ?!?) and everyone for the hearty warm welcome, and all the expertise you all have…! I’ve already learned shit! OK, so I had never heard of water curing, and reading about it, my next question for you guys is this: my bud has been on a drying rack since this past weekend Oct 10/11. In less than a week, these puppies are very dry, might be ready to put up in jars in the next few days. Can you water cure at this point? Seems like yes, but I bow to the great grow minds here for guidance :raised_hands:t5:

2 Likes

@AmazonGrow you’re welcome. Yes you can start water curing even if the buds are dry. They’ll just reconstitute just like any other dry herb in water. :v::call_me_hand::metal:

4 Likes