Tap root help plzzzzzzzz

Can anyone plzz tell me how long do you need to leave developing tap roots before planting them? I keep having the same problem- I soak seed for a day, pour water on paper towel and place seeds, put them in a warm ( can temps be to hot?) dark place. Question is - how long do I need to wait to open and plant. seeds keep opening then doing nothing. have had the same problem for the last 10 seeds I tried to get to germinate. all seeds form different sources. :grimacing: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :weary: HELP PLZZZZZ

2 Likes

@twoheadedjoe I use the same basic technique as you and have found good seeds will put out a tap root in the paper towel within 24 hrs and after 2 days should be out 1/8inch enough to point it into your grow medium. after the 3rd day in the paper towel if the tap is not out it pretty much never will in my experience. you mention temp for the paper towel, what is your temp?

2 Likes

not sure of temp ā€¦ I put them in a tent no lights with a seedling heat mat.

2 Likes

try to germinate at room temps ā€¦maybe the seedling mat is hot???

2 Likes

Thats what I was thinking. Iā€™m running out of seeds and hope I can work it out soon. I watch vids and the tap roots in them are like an inch or bigger. is that what your look like also? how long did it take to get that big??

2 Likes

is there a specific size you need to wait ti plant???

2 Likes

tap typically out 1/8 to 1/4 inch in 24-48hrs

2 Likes

Iā€™m 55 and have never had so much trouble getting a seed to take,lol. had to talk to some one , thought I was going crazy. I have other stains and keep cloning never have trouble . I bought seeds and canā€™t get them to pop . I know itā€™s me lol , and I know itā€™s more then one thing just wanted an outside opinion . Thank you for your help . If its cool Iā€™ll shoot you some messages with other concerns and questions I know Iā€™ll have.

2 Likes

totally understand ā€¦ here to help if I can

2 Likes

Iā€™m usually in the soil within 48h. 1/4ā€-maybe 1/2ā€ tap root - any more is risky in my opinion.

If youā€™ve never had success with this method, Iā€™d try something else - maybe plant it in a jiffy pod or right in the soil. On the other hand, if itā€™s worked in the past for you, whatā€™s the difference between then and now?

What are you transplanting in to?

2 Likes

Thank you very appreciated.

2 Likes

the difference I think is the seeds I have planted before werenā€™t to old , mostly from weed I bought. these are bought seeds from 3 different people and I keep having the same problem . thatā€™s why I know itā€™s me. I had them in a bag and they popped so I planted them . nothing happened. I think I might have soaked them to much.the next time same situation , they popped and I left them in the bag waiting for them to grow. I think the handling of them to open the bag may of had an bad affect on the because they never grew. the last time I put in a couple of my gorilla glue seeds I know are new and they had the same problems

2 Likes

So in my mind there are 2 possible things going wrong. Either your handling is damaging them and theyā€™re dead when they hit the soil, or, theyā€™re dying shortly after transplant because you soil is too, something: wet, dry, fertilized, dead, etc. Or you planted them too deep. You could dig them up and try to make a post- mortem assessment.

I handle them so gently when theyā€™re in the paper towel and during the transplant. One trick Iā€™ve heard but yet to try is to use an inner layer of unbleached coffee filters, this keeps the tap root from sticking to the towel which is one way they can get killed. You could also cut around the germinated seedling and plant the whole lot, paper towel bits and all.

2 Likes

Bounty the quicker picker upper lol no all jokeā€™s aside Iā€™ve used different kinds of paper towels and the bounty it doesnā€™t do that as bad the cheaper paper towels its like the tap roots dig in @CurrDogg420 is write you have to be easy with them when I put my seedlings in soil i use my pinky to the frist joint and put a pinch of soil over them the tap roots dig dig dig deeper

2 Likes

Temperature on top of the fridge is generally about right. Too cold or hot isnā€™t great.

1 Like

I know 2 things I did wrong at this point. 1- I planted them to deep. 2- I soaked them to much and I probably handled them a little rough. Iā€™m using bio 365 for substrate. What do you use?

1 Like

:rofl: well I use palmolive to cut grease and it keeps my hands softā€¦ :wink: How big are your tap roots before you plant? and how long until that point ? I am using cheep paper towels also. will fix that one asap. thanks

1 Like

Yes I think I was rolling to hot . Everyone seem like really cool people, very happy I joined today. Thanks for the good advice.

1 Like

When I plant them, I like the seed casing to end up basically right at the surface of the soil. And I donā€™t pack the soil down around it. Just a little pinch to close up the hole like @Daddy1971 said. Thereā€™s only so much energy stored in the seed.

I make my own living soil blend, I wrote about it in the Soil Building topic. Iā€™ve also started raising composting worms in my old root balls to ā€œrecycleā€ them, and now Iā€™m using them in my grow as well.

2 Likes

Let tails grow to at least 1/2 inch before potting

1 Like