Store bought NPK

I’m kinda of a tightwad when it comes to nutrients…DIY is mostly how I grow…No spectacular,gorgeous buds like the growers who use store-bought nutrients…
So I am wondering what you guys are using…I’ve seen Foxfarm and others for around $33…Trio of 3 bottles - 1 pinters…
I grow autos…How many autos would-- start to finnish-- this trio of nutrients grow…
Would like some feedback on what brand of nutrients you use…I grow in MG soil…Thanks for whatever help I can get…
(Photo of present grow below)

3 Likes

Tagging along for the ride because I just purposely started my first auto. I hope you don’t mind?

1 Like

Autos are fun to grow…Seed to finnish in 11 to 13 weeks…
I have never grown a photoperiod indoors…
It seems that all my outside grows are 4.5 to 5 months grows…That is way to long for me…I’d go bonkers waiting that long…
How long do your ladies take from seed to harvest ?? Do you manipulate the process to short-en the grow time ??

1 Like

I’m going to make you crazy if you are a specifics guy because while I put growing dates on my calendar, I let my plants go until they tell me they are ready. I follow the guidelines as illustrated on Homegrown (for instance, Harlequin Kimbo Kush), but since it’s winter things are a little slower than normal so I just let them ride. We are all a little slow and in hibernation, so I just grow. The true test will be the hands off approach with this new auto. That’s going to be a challenge for me.

You know, you can FLIP photo plants after 3/4 weeks of growth (indoors where you control the light or outdoors making what I call “DARK BOXES”). I use smaller pots and make cardboard covers to control sunlight. Obviously can’t do that easily with a 6’ plant. They do not have to have a 2 month veg state. Smaller returns but quicker harvest. I have flipped after 2 weeks of sprout when I wanted to TASTE / TEST a strain…This was before auto flowers were popular

1 Like

WOW…So I can force flower at 3 to 4 weeks; And from there just treat it like a regular grow…12 on and 12 off…COOL…
Also I like the dark box method…So if I’m getting this right, I can plant in March, cover
the plant let’s say middle of April, then be able to pull in June…My main problem here ia that the weather is great untill middle of August…After that August & September are real scorchers…I’ve had buds bake on the branches…Again thanks

2 Likes

This is a legit question that I’m unsure if you could answer:

In August and September in your area, would the desert canna plants not fare well? The ones out of Afghanistan and the like? Or is the climate to great too take a chance?

I’m just outside of Austin Tx…The Gulf of Mexico is maybe 120 miles east of me and the hill country to the west…North and South mostly farmland…I think I threw you wrong on the humidity aspect…No desert here…During late summer the climate gets really hot and humid or really hot and not very humid…Normal crazy Texas weather…
I started growing some years ago because I like top-shelf pot…You will pay $200-250 oz. for top shelf here at present…All my pot is for me and my family…I don’t sell any of it…The Cartel is bringing up some good pot these days…All sensimillia…The reason it’s cheap is it comes in bricks…Sometimes laced with fentanyl…$50 on average per oz.
I refuse to help the Cartel make money…
Sorry,got off subject

2 Likes

I knew about the stuff being outlined when I worked in public service. I almost hit the floor once because it was hanging out in the air. If it smells like a hint of alcohol… This is also why I grow my own. Scary stuff out in the world if I don’t control it.

2 Likes

It is not the weather, though that has SOME aspects that change things but Light cycle is MOST IMPORTANT. Photo period plants start to switch from veg to flower when certain conditions are met, mostly the amount of daylight available. It signals WINTER and the plants go into reproduction phase to make flowers to perpetuate the species. Temps are usually another factor but not as much as light. If you go to flower early on a photo period plant, harvest based on trichomes and LEAVE some of the stems, small nugs…you can start a SECOND vegetation period. This is RE-VEGGING.

This is a Grand Daddy Purple photo that I harvested right after Christmas, left some nugs and re-vegged. It is going to flower after I FLIP IT or place it outside and let nature do its thing. It is in the tent with my autos who get 20/4 hrs of light a day. I will transplant her to a 5 gal pot, place outside (in Vegas our season starts early…My crocus are already bloomed, and buds are forming on trees). I suffer with EXCESSIVE SUMMER HEAT and have lost many a crop to temps above 115/116f. We had a 3+ week heatwave last year took out 85% of my crop. So I make DARK BOXES. WE do not get much rain so they don’t fall apart and I recycle them into my worm bins / compost pile. I do not grow SKYSCRAPERS…I keep them short and stout and lean towards indica. For sativa,I use auto’s. I use silver metal tape and get 97%+ light block. With dark boxes, I can harvest and if they re-veg during the heat blast, well…I have a fall crop too!

2 Likes

They sprayed paraquat on Acapulco Gold back in the day. Avid and other pesticides were used by growers to combat the insect issue and much of that went in to the black market stuff. Many of us grow, and we grow for purity…organic, veganic, quality, taste…etc.
We were never privy to this information and smoked behind closed doors…ingesting pesticides, heavy metals, etc
I do not doubt, for one minute, especially after working in the commodities industry and knowing what was allowed, sidestepped, directed, that Mexican crops are sprayed to spoil them. It is still one of the major black market suppliers of weed, especially to the US. MJ has become a billion dollar industry and the business men here in this country (and the rest of the world) will not permit their profits to be diminished. Local laws are changing, making home-growing illegal if you live within x amount of miles from a dispensary. Here is vegas, there are almost as many as there are 7-11’s which used to be on EVERY CORNER.
Corporate America / fortune 500 , greed is more dangerous than a loaded weapon.
This is my OPINION…not based wholly on fact

4 Likes

Well, considering you have more working knowledge of it than I do, you know?

Wow those are harsh laws no personal grow if close to a dispensary. You know the tax man is behind that one.

1 Like

The Governor and his cronies…Only 4 master licenses were issued and strangely, they went to his biggest supporters. They tax differently from “medical” to “personal”. 86 million was supposed to go to the school budget from the MJ tax and they cant find it…lost in space…I wish I had some of that space

2 Likes

i remember paraquat in the 70’s, I used to smell the baggie every time i scored a dime bag to make sure it didnt have paraquat, as if i could tell :rofl:

Here in ky 4 plants is misdemeanor 5 is felony

Ouch thats gotta hurt.

1 Like

Paraguat…I was such a pothead back then that smell the baggie, role a joint, smoke it, and hope I get high…That’s how I rolled back then…

1 Like