Stoners Corner 🌿

some of the roots die off but much depends on type of container. Cloth bags self trim, plastic does not. Sometimes it can choke off a plant as the rootball gets thicker, less oxygen can penetrate

1 Like

@Mrb53004 I’ve never heard of the cloth bags self triming before how’s that work

1 Like

Reed @Daddy1971, have you ever noticed during transplanting, or after you finish your grow, how you’ll have a mass of roots gathered at the bottom? Or more specifically, concentrated near your drainage holes?

The reason they grow that way is not because they’re seeking water - they’re seeking oxygen. The sides of plastic pots are air tight - while fabric is “breathable”. So you don’t end up with root masses like that - they tend to spread through the soil more evenly. That’s why I like to flower in fabric pots.

But, I still prefer plastic for veg, I like the rigid sides for tying branches down. Here’s a 10 gallon dollar general pot that I modified. I wish I had some pics of the root ball before I moved it to the 20 gallon fabric. The web of roots was pretty even throughout.

2 Likes

Yes @CurrDogg420 i know what you are saying but mike said self trim

1 Like

Is that the phrase they call it you know i from mountain lol

2 Likes

I think the term is a misnomer to some degree. It’s not that they’ve grown, and then the air is somehow “pruning” them back, it’s more like they reach the sides of the pot, find air, and root happiness. Because of the air, they know they’ve reached a soil boundary, and then branch off in a different direction.

2 Likes

yes they prune themselves once they reach the edges where they contact the cloth…no need to go in and trim the roots / root ball, therefore -self trimming
sometimes us old badgers just don’t know (OR CAN REMEMBER - YOU KNOW mj CAUSES MEMORY LOSS). After all, use of MJ results in memory loss
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Well now im going to have to do some research looks like

1 Like

Well guys they call it air pruning as the roots reach the cloth pots it it sends a single for other roots to branch off and keeps the roots from circling the pot at the bottom as you mentioned @CurrDogg420

2 Likes

@Daddy1971 @CurrDogg420 @Mrb53004 @Rusty 20211205_072127 :v::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

LMAO!!

4 Likes

@B.G.1 :wave: to All and every stoner around the world :skier: Merry Christmas 2021 and a Happy New 2022 Grow Year (just around the corner)

3 Likes

Very nice, good job.

1 Like

@Rusty that’s a very very old pic and great for Christmas. or it can be used to make a Two Gun Salute type statement ,.I. :laughing: .I., LMAO!

1 Like

LoL i checked twice. it won’t let me do Ten Fingers, only twelve ( ,.I… :grin: …I., ) ( ,.I. :blush: .I., )