Smell and taste

Kn so I have just harvested my 3rd indoor crop, everything went well plants looked great and smelled even better, that is until I cut them down, 3 times in row my plants have lost that wonderful smell when it comes time to harvest, I’m leaving them in dark for 24 hours before chopping them down and hanging, please I need help figuring this out

1 Like

@gmac I am not an expert in this art of drying and curing but I think what is happening your harvest that smells so nice is maybe drying too fast…could that be happening?

1 Like

I’m not sure it took 11 days to dry , I’m curing now, I’ll know more soon

1 Like

Are you sampling along the curing process? When does it get lost? If you’ve got your drying environment conditions right (60ish for temp and RH), my guess is you’re harvesting too early.

1 Like

as the plant dries, you loose some of that delicious odor that comes from a ripe plant. The product should smell more and more like hay as the chlorophyll starts to leave. Curing in AIRTIGHT jars with Bovid packs (62-65%) at a 60-70°F range will allow the product to GET BACK THAT GREAT SMELL. The GREEN smell takes a while to convert, that is why we CURE for such a long time compared to just drying

4 Likes

OK, that totally makes sense, it does have a bit of a hay smell while hanging, once my buds are pruned and ready to be added to my jars there was a slight wonderful smell, but very mild.

1 Like

Spot on. Even if you hit the harvest right on the nose, you’ll naturally lose much of the bouquet temporarily during dry and cure. I’ve got some really nice blueberry that’s hit just about ten weeks in dark glass, burped periodically, that’s just superb right now. Straight out of hang drying in September, I thought it’d lost all its nose. Give it a few weeks minimum, and take a whiff fresh out of a grinder. Then evaluate.

2 Likes

You lose quite a bit when drying but let someone in your house that’s not been in it for awhile and ask them what they smell your nose get use to it trust me

1 Like

@CurrDogg420 @Northcountryguy @Daddy1971 @gmac Tolerance is hell to pay. After harvest one should wait up to 3 or 4 weeks just to sample a grow. During the last month we have absorbed the full potency of THC and Terpenes. i normally can’t get high or very high on my own grow for a month or so, after that i get blasted

1 Like

I’ve been working my way through a jar of mega buds from September. A bowl of that mid September harvest is awesome about now.

1 Like

Yes i agree with you @DollarBill the longer cure goes better smoke it becomes in all different ways

1 Like