Smell and taste

Kn so I have just harvested my 3rd indoor crop, everything went well plants looked great and smelled even better, that is until I cut them down, 3 times in row my plants have lost that wonderful smell when it comes time to harvest, I’m leaving them in dark for 24 hours before chopping them down and hanging, please I need help figuring this out

1 Like

@gmac I am not an expert in this art of drying and curing but I think what is happening your harvest that smells so nice is maybe drying too fast…could that be happening?

1 Like

I’m not sure it took 11 days to dry , I’m curing now, I’ll know more soon

1 Like

Are you sampling along the curing process? When does it get lost? If you’ve got your drying environment conditions right (60ish for temp and RH), my guess is you’re harvesting too early.

1 Like

as the plant dries, you loose some of that delicious odor that comes from a ripe plant. The product should smell more and more like hay as the chlorophyll starts to leave. Curing in AIRTIGHT jars with Bovid packs (62-65%) at a 60-70°F range will allow the product to GET BACK THAT GREAT SMELL. The GREEN smell takes a while to convert, that is why we CURE for such a long time compared to just drying

4 Likes

OK, that totally makes sense, it does have a bit of a hay smell while hanging, once my buds are pruned and ready to be added to my jars there was a slight wonderful smell, but very mild.

1 Like

Spot on. Even if you hit the harvest right on the nose, you’ll naturally lose much of the bouquet temporarily during dry and cure. I’ve got some really nice blueberry that’s hit just about ten weeks in dark glass, burped periodically, that’s just superb right now. Straight out of hang drying in September, I thought it’d lost all its nose. Give it a few weeks minimum, and take a whiff fresh out of a grinder. Then evaluate.

2 Likes

You lose quite a bit when drying but let someone in your house that’s not been in it for awhile and ask them what they smell your nose get use to it trust me

1 Like

@CurrDogg420 @Northcountryguy @Daddy1971 @gmac Tolerance is hell to pay. After harvest one should wait up to 3 or 4 weeks just to sample a grow. During the last month we have absorbed the full potency of THC and Terpenes. i normally can’t get high or very high on my own grow for a month or so, after that i get blasted

1 Like

I’ve been working my way through a jar of mega buds from September. A bowl of that mid September harvest is awesome about now.

1 Like

Yes i agree with you @DollarBill the longer cure goes better smoke it becomes in all different ways

1 Like

Now that is been nearly another month of curing my crop smells amazing, my Zittles are sweet and fruity, the wait was soo worth it, thanks for all the tips and advice

3 Likes

@gmac @Daddy1971 i’m taking most our grow down to my brothers in the valley. Seems mother nature wants to scream “Cold!!” this winter. When i return i’ll pull out a finished jar that’s been curing since this last harvest September 19th and let you folks have a look. in the mean time :v: Happy New Year

@gmac @Daddy1971 wife said, “it’s to cold and snowy, you’re not going anywhere and so what if we lose this grow, you got all you need” :relaxed: she’s always embarrassing me. that’s why i smokem me some moon rock weed

1 Like

@gmac @Daddy1971 over the years, if you jar a lot of weed you notice a few things like Gravity will pull moisture down in the stored buds so they look funny since the last time you burped.

then when you flip them over your heart rate settles down this is GG#4 Fem. harvested this last Sept 19 2021. the short jar or last jar that didn’t get totaly filled with buds. Can’t open a full one over the fact i’m not ready to make a bunch of moon rocks yet. But i can make a few with this. weighs a little less than 1/4 oz they are hard as a rock from being undisturbed and nearing 3 months 2 weeks :wave: think i better stop and take a trippy nap :laughing: i sure don’t think coffee is going to help, but anyhow those rock hard buds will end up Moon Rock Nugs and bye for now

1 Like

Have a good new year my friend can’t wait to see happy growing

1 Like

@Daddy1971 El Cheapo me is going to have to turn the heater on for the first time in 8 years. Fire places just are not going to cut the grow room mustard. True Climate Change has arrived in Arizona. We break a new weather record daily since last May

1 Like

@DollarBill We got a dump of 6 inches of snow last nite, after a week of being around 12F for the last week. In the summer, we suffered Heat Domes and forest fires, then in November we had 3 Atmospheric Rivers blow thru in a 2-week period. Massive flooding in BC, many of our major roads were closed for weeks as bridges and entire sections of the road just vanished.

I’m trying to keep the tent in my garage around 55F, but it’s SOOOO dry here, only 30% to 35% rh. A bugger to try and dry my ladies in! At least a slow dry is…

2 Likes

@spudgunner one thing no one in government can change or explain away as conspirasy. This damn weather these days is creeping up on scarey strange. As the human foot print goes, we just may have pissed off Momma Nature way past what we thought and she has a very harsh way of coming back from the grave. :stop_sign: Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations 12 to 24
inches abo…

1 Like

I know weather’s been crazy it was 65 on Christmas and usely it snows another record broke crazy @DollarBill

1 Like