Slowly dropping light time, veg.to flower

Hey fellow Growers :love_you_gesture:t3:
Was wondering if anyone has tried reducing the light time from veg to flower by slowly dropping off 30 minutes every few days until you get to the 12-12 cycle?
I’m trying it out now since it’s time to flip my photos…
This is my second grow even though I’m in horticulture…
My theory is if you reduce the amount of light just a little slower than just going from 24 or 18-6 to 12-12 it might be easier for them to acclimate to the change…
I’ll admit that the White Widow fems I’m growing have been filling out and starting to stretch in last couple of days much more than earlier…
I’ve already done 2 flushings,

1. is because I over nukes them and they were starting to look bad.
  2. Is because I wanted to have a neutral media for flowering…
    Any thoughts about this?
    First post to the community, hope to chat with y’all about this and others growing ideas…
    :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3::peace_symbol:
2 Likes

This is very interesting George- welcome to the forum!

It sort of mimics what’s happening outside. I wonder if it could lead to an earlier or better harvest?

When I flipped my girls I was thinking about the quantity of light they were getting. They were getting more hours before, so I wanted to increase the light intensity.

[Edit] They will need some kind of food - especially if you’re pushing the gas pedal with more light. I prefer to use the organic fertilizers and let the soil do its thing. I use one that’s higher in P for flower.

i had thought about that myself, sort of mimicking nature more? welcome to the forum & good luck…

I have done that in the past didn’t make much difference but i only tried it once

I have found that i pull more fresh cool air in at night i get better yields harder buds and at winter grows i get alot more wieght from fresh air alot people have tents they pull air from room its in need pull it straight from outside

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and glad to meet you! :love_you_gesture:t3:
I wouldn’t have flushed twice if it wasn’t for the over nuking…
It’s 9am my time now, I’ll be feeding them when they first wake up this afternoon…
Have you noticed, that’s if your not doing hydroponics, that the aroma really increases when they get thirsty?
I lights just went out in the room and I can smell them all the way into the living room…
I luckily have the option to leave my doors open during the light cycle…And if the lights do go out, there’s very little light that can effect them…

Thanks for replying…
I’m one of those horticulture geeks who likes to try anything and everything with my grows, weather if it’s regular plants or Cannabis…

Thanks for your reply…
I’m fairly new to growing cannabis and this is my second try…
First grow was a total learning experience…
Used Reggie seeds, where I had to find the males and had some seeds from a hermaphrodite plant which started out female at the beginning of flower but turned male about 6weeks in flower…Screwed all of the females in the room…Got a ton of seeds though :sob:

Yes sir,
I built my room instead of getting a tent cause I had the room to do it and I wanted it for continuous growing…
Right now I’m getting about 5-10 degrees difference…
I know during the winter, I can get 15 degrees swing cause I can pull air from the outside…
With this White Widow strain, they’re all saying they like the low 80’s during light time, which I can do that…
They’re really starting to pop now that they’re getting a little less light time…
Or they just do it once you get to 6 weeks…

1 Like

I have room also it means hell of lot be able to control temps

Not the same but I bring up my light at 30 % for about 3 hrs and bump it 30 for the next 3. Then I go full until the last three hours and down to 30 until taps. Seems to mimic outside and keeps the heat down a bit. They are growing great and seem happy.

I don’t understand what you mean @SlingShot

yeah, a bit off topic. I was just talking about the dimmer.

Oh ok im old school i use HPS,MS bulb’s and ballasts im running 1200 watt’s I’m not sure if I will ever switch to leds