Seedlings need fertilizer

What’s the best fertilizers to use for new seedlings?

2 Likes

There’s not a need to use fertilizer for seedlings. Fertilizer is normally for when they get bigger and ready to move into flowering.

Is something going on with your seedlings?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, nothing going on, just checking. Been growing for a few years and wanted to know if I was doing it right.

4 Likes

I agree with kmac03 here, that the soil itself will provide enough nutes for seedlings, although you may want to use additional nutrients during the middle to later vegetative stage. Then the proper flowering nutes when they enter that phase.

4 Likes

By the way, welcome to the forums @foxface !

4 Likes

Are you an instructor? You explain things well.

3 Likes

No. I’m not an instructor.

Just a guy who’s been growing for over ten years

Experience is a good teacher! :wink:

5 Likes

@foxface hey there! Welcome to our community! Seedlings don’t need any nutrients or feed as the seed pod actually has enough nutrients for about 2-4 weeks of life. After that for early stages most soils have enough starter nutrients to really not need to feed until earl to mid veg. I use compost feeds for m girls and top feedings as well! Let me know if you have any other questions, happy growing! - Kronic

2 Likes

Where can I learn about nutrients? Plants are roughly 7 inches and tops are getting yellow (just a bit). Thanks

2 Likes

How old are they? What are you growing in? How often do you water them? Lots of things could cause yellow leaves.

2 Likes

Yellowing is gone, thanks. I’m growing plants in fertilizer and watering twice a day with spray bottle. Plants are 13 weeks and vary in size. Some shorter plants are very full while taller plants are much less full. They are on 9hours of lights. The lights are:

Phlizon Newest 900W LED Plant Grow Light,with Thermometer Humidity Monitor,with Adjustable Rope,Full Spectrum Double Switch Plant Light for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower- 900W(10W LEDs 90Pcs)

Finally, What are " nutrients"? Everyone says use nutrients, but what are they and when do you start using them?

2 Likes

Well, depending on whether you are growing organically or not will make a difference on what you use. The nutrients are things like Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Magnesium, Calcium and others ones.

Growing organically you can add a lot of that to the soil with amendments to it such as worm castings, bone and blood meal. Kelp and many other things. I put a soil recipe up on another thread. You can also top dress, sprinkle the dry ingredients on top the soil before you water.

You can also get chemical additives if you are not worried about being organic. I would recommend looking up a cannabis nutrient chart on line to see for the different phases of plant growth.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll let you know how they progress. Working on trimming/topping to promote wider v. taller plants.

2 Likes

Wow. Thanks so much for that! Extremely helpful!

2 Likes

Thank you. The soil we used does contain the needed nutrients for now. Adding some additional later will depend on the soil test we conduct. Can you explain what “bloom” exactly means? Is it when buds are visible? Or when the bus first appears (just noticable)? Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Everyone looks at things differently. To me, they are in bloom or flowering when you can see the buds form. When you can first see pistols I refer to that as pre-flower. If they are photo period and you have changed the light schedule, some refer to that as the flower cycle and count from there.

What size pots are you growing in right now? Why only 9 hours of light? How long have they been on the 9 hour schedule? You need 18 to 20 hours of light for veg and 12 for flower to get the best yield.

1 Like

Another thing to look at is what watts the light is pulling from the wall. Many of those type lights, really are not what they say. The driver has a lot to do with it.

1 Like

hey all, just wanted to ask a quick question. If the seed has about 2-4 weeks of nutes and soil has enough after that, when do you guys add nutes if at all? 6-8 week mark or later?

thanks!!

1 Like

@Boacrazed 6 Weeks or here :seedling: right after i top and she heals :palm_tree:

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you! picked up Bud candy fert I hope its a good one.

1 Like