Sativa vs Indica vs Autoflower Early Growth

I was interested to compare the early growth patterns. These were all started on March 20.
Left: Durban Poison 100% Sativa
Center: Critical Mass 65% Indica
Right: White Widow CBD Autoflower some% Ruderalis

The autoflower already has preflowers.

1 Like

Observation-----look how much larger the Autoflower (which is usually smaller than photoperiod plants) is. You can see how SIZE OF THE CONTAINER dramatically affects growth.
Sativa; normally a think and lanky plant with internodal spacing between .5 to 1 inch per node. Growth is usually straight up…reaches about 2 to 3 feet before we filp (about 6-8 weeks of vegging) then when flowering begins…a BIG STRETCH. Anywhere from 1 to 3 feet. Plant can easily reach 6 ’ or better
Indica - shorter bushier plants with internodal spacing of about 3/8 to 1/2 inch per node. Growth is like Christmas tree fashion - usually around 4-5.5 feet height
Autoflowers - usually between 1.5 to 3 feet total height

5 Likes

Yeah, I figured the container had something to do with it. But the Autoflower, with its drastically shorter lifespan, is developing faster.

The Autoflowers are staying in the containers, while the others are going in the ground as soon as I get confident frost is past, maybe three more weeks. Then they’ll be vegging until late July. I’m starting a couple more of the Sativa now, they’ll all flower at the same time. It’ll be interesting to see how they compare at the end of their lifespan.

2 Likes

I do not know your grow zone but everywhere in the US, except for High Altitude, frost warnings are over.
So if you transplant the photo strains to the ground, how you gonna get them to flower in July when the days are still long enough to facilitate veg state? 12/12 is hard to attain when they are outside.
I moved most my auto’s outside already except for the breeders that I move to the tent every night. I run a 18-20 hr lights on schedule
I have a few photoperiod (Acapulco Gold, Bubba Kush, Gran DaDDy Purp and Thai) that I move in and out. They are in 3 and 5 gal containers but I will transplant to 7 gal and hopefully, they wont be too heavy to move and I can go back and forth with the tent or else I will have to build BlackOut boxes. I assembled a couple using cardboard boxes with a flap door that I can place over the plants but if its windy, and it’s windy here often, that creates hassles. Oh well…still trying to McGuiver it
I live in the Desert SW (NV) and the HOT summers (last year we had over 3 weeks plus 116°f temps and over a 45 day period of over 110°. I tried shade trellis, silica, insulate the containers, plant misting, hosing the containers…but that kind of heat is just plain killer. Our humidity is HIGH if it reaches 9%…Getting old and moving large containers sucks when you are almost 70 with a broken back… :confounded:

7 Likes

I think this site should switch names and should be called the autoflower discussion. It’s like the guitar hero of growing canibas. Lol :laughing:

5 Likes

We had snow last week. The conventional wisdom here in Massachusetts is to hold off on planting vegetables outdoors until Memorial Day. I believe global warming has shifted that, so my garden is going in earlier in May.

They flower in July because that’s when they start to flower as the days get shorter. I usually see buds starting to form near the end of the month. Outdoor growers rely on nature to trigger flowering. I can’t control it, nor do I want to. I’ll let Mr Sol do that for me.

My sister lives in NM. They have a greenhouse with a geothermal cooling system, 250 feet of tubing buried 10 feet deep with solar powered fans to circulate. Keeps the temps in the 80s in the day, 60s at night.

Can you put your plants on wagons? A big benefit of outdoor growing is the ground is bigger than any pot…

1952 for me. Good luck with your grow!

1 Like

It’s like the guitar hero of growing canibas.

That’s a good one! I have never had really satisfactory results from autoflowers. I am growing these high CBD, moderate THC plants for medicinal purposes and wanted fast results. The landrace old school 20% THC Durban Poison is my getting high plant.

4 Likes

Sometimes we just get wrapped up in daily life and forget to think outside the box. I have a wagon sitting in my garage that I do not use, now I have a purpose for it. It is nice to have someone rattle the cage every once in a while

6 Likes

I’ve grown many auto flowers and I definitely understand that they for sure are very useful especially for making hash and for people that live in harsh conditions. They definitely serve a purpose. I personally just want to have full canibanoid and terp profiles that regular photo period plants possess. If it wasn’t for auto flowers I probably would have never gotten the courage to grow photo period plants inside under lights. I was never confident that I could pull it off. I found that it was all in my head. It was actually easier than auto flowers. I could make more mistakes while learning and plants would always recover. However in my experience the autos are not forgiving. Any little mistake greatly affected the end result. Whatever gets people to try and start growing there own canibas I’m am 100% for them and whatever process it takes to get them to harvest. The more people can receive the healing powers of this beautiful amazing plant!!!

8 Likes

It supposed to snow tomorrow4/21/21 in ky lol

2 Likes

I’m in Chicago and I had a little snow today. I always wait until Memorial Day to put anything out. I had reconstructive back and knee surgery so it’s difficult to be bringing plants in and out. I enjoyed it previously, now going out consist of covering them up if there is a frost and removing it by morning. I do find it hard to keep the temperature consistent though but I have had some great advice from @Mrb53004. You are on the other side of the spectrum, lol. I can’t wait for the humidity to come here, it will be great for the plants. :grinning:

1 Like

I have have the back surgery…fused across 5 vertebrae…c12 down to s1…I know the feeling. When you get just a flurry, you can cover the plants with a cloth. I have had them survive down to 2 or 3 inches of snow…Auto will stress more than a photo will but they recover fast if the sun comes out quickly and the “BREEZE” is not frigid
You ain’t kidding about the OTHER SIDE…I am already putting plants in/out and my digi thermometers/hydrometers are already over 100°f…at the soil level…My humidity is 6…yes, 6% and that is HIGH for the desert

3 Likes

OMG, we are the back fusion people, not cool as I get older, lol. Of course when we are younger we think we are invincible. I was an adrenaline junky. That’s insane on the humidity and I’m complaining, haha. It’s all the flux and I’m not welding, jk.
I lost 2 out of my original 4. I still have time to start a few, that’s the good thing about a tent. I did better with a florescent light. I don’t know what to grow, maybe a Sativa.

3 Likes

Sativa / /sativa heavy hybrids are generally more airy, which helps the plants handle high temperatures and humidity levels. For this reason, sativas are popular in areas with higher humidity and rainfall.
Indica // Indica heavy hybrids come from the dry, mountainous regions of the Middle East. With a plant and bud structure that is typically short, bushy, and dense, indica plants can handle colder temperatures. However, they perform poorly in areas with high humidity and heavy rainfall

1 Like

Have you ever heard of a strain called Space Donkey? My buddy gave me a few seeds that I will germinate but I’m not sure what it is, lol. I think it’s a Sativa but that is a guess.

I admire all your knowledge, it’s just harder to retain, lots of note taking. It’s as if I’m back in school again. So if my ph is cool, can’t I start to feed them at some point during this veg stage. Do I wait till the final pot? They just seem to be growing slow and lost so many bottom leaves on the indica that I haven’t really gotten anywhere. I know the living soil is keeping the girls feed but I feel like they need to eat too. What do you think @Mrb53004?

I have heard of Space Monkey and some used to call it Donkey…It was an Indica Hybrid with parents like GG4 and Wookie
Seedlings do not need food until maybe the end of the 2nd week, into the 3rd week. If you are growin in any kind of organic / kiving soil, on autoflower, no additional nutrition is needed until they reach flowering stage. In a photoperiod seed, you can veg indefinitely so replenishing the NPK is important but again, in an organic or living soil, you can go months before adding.
Seeds are best started in a STERILE substrate…no nutrients…then transplanted to a home or first stage home (to be transplanted again)
Growth will be based on Light, air and soil

1 Like

@Mrb53004 you are so knowledgeable that I’m actually jealous, lol. It’s truly is a lot of trial a error with improvising too, not to mention science. You are amazing! How Many weeks do I keep it one container and then transfer to the final? I’m in quart size now and ready to feed the girls, I have been in a quart size since 3/17 (I think) but I forgot to write it down. So what was your first love besides your wife, botany or aquarium. I love nature and plants and fish but have never done well inside with aquariums or plants. Love the outdoors, I know it sound funny from a City girl but I also have a hobby farm in Wisconsin that is just what I need. That way I can plant and fish, along with canoeing the Mississippi River when I was sprie, :partying_face:

To me it’s odd how so many have bad luck autos. I’ve never had one produce less than 2oz. And yes I’ve had some that were very picky, but still produced.

Outdoors is MUCH more intimidating for cannabis to me than indoor. So many variables that you can do little about. Plus where I live theres still wild hemp and I’m concerned about pollination.

Perhaps the new name should include something about back fusions growing autos. It seems to be a very common issue.

3 Likes

Hah, I am growing some CBD/THC autos for my wife who has most of her spine fused.

Given that Autos are part Ruderalis, native to the harsh climate of Russia, I expect them to thrive outdoors. I think folks are getting in trouble by fooling around with topping them, etc.

I find weed is hardier than the tomatoes, peppers, beans, lettuce, etc that I grow in my garden. It fits right in.

3 Likes

@Rye I guess things that we don’t have much knowledge or familiarity with can be intimidating. All I knew was growing outside and now, which should be easier in a controlled environment.

You are right on though, regarding the hemp being around the area outside when I grew in the country and the I had these red worms that would love my bud. They would want to eat it from the inside out, thinking you have a nice big bud and then nothing.