Recommendations?

Good morning! I’m thinking my fimming worked!? Two of my Strawberry Cough plants starting their 6th week. Any recommendations? At what point do you start removing some of the lower fan leaves? Light is a MarsHydro 100 at 18”. 50% power

The third pic is my White Widow autoflower. They just aren’t as bushy as others I have seen. I have just lowered the SpiderFarmer SF2000 to 15” above the plants and I just started feeding Miracle Grow Bloom Booster Flower food to them, as well as turning the lights to 80%

I have a small fan to keep the air circulating. This is in a 5X3 ‘ area with a total of 6 plants (3 of each) This is a budget set up, to say the least LOL

Any in put would be welcomed. Thanks and happy growing!

3 Likes

I think they look fine. If you’re comparing them to other plants you see in a Google search that isn’t going to give you a realistic expectation. People tend to upload pictures of their most bad ass plants and not really share their failures or average/mediocre plants. The genetics even within the same strain can differ wildly, as will the conditions between your grow and there’s. There’s just too many variables. You’ll see them stretch and bush out quite a bit once she’s in full flower mode.

Tl;dr: imo your girls look on par for the course to me.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m trying to do my research…learning that because I’m not using organic soil, and not using hydroponics, I may have to lower my expectations a little. The other pictures I’ve been seeing in this forum are just freaking amazing…but I also need to realize my growing conditions are extremely basic. Looking forward to those W.W. Getting bushy!

2 Likes

Kris, I think you’re in good shape. I totally understand that type of anxiety though. Keep practicing different techniques and playing with different nutes and such and you’ll be growing some monsters before you know it. There’s a lot of good information out there if you dig deeply enough.

2 Likes

@Kris I noticed some color changing in the stems. Red stems show up in some strains when the plant matures, when the weather gets too hot or cools down below 70 F, the kind of nutes, etc. It’s how the genetics reacts to different growing conditions. They are a little young for it to be genetics. Are your lights too close? If so, the stems exposed to light will have color and the shaded ones will not. Unless it is nutes, temperature extremes or light burn, color is not a problem

2 Likes

there are ways to help get it bushy with all the right training from the beginning. Assuming you probably know that already. They do look nice and green and healthy :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you Christopher. I just started some LST on my Strawberry Cough today, it is fun to experiment but also scary when my garden is so small. :slight_smile:

Mike, thanks for your input. The red is in my Strawberry Cough, and they are only 6 weeks old. I’ve read in this forum not to apply nutes until the second month, so I have only been giving distilled water on my S.C. My Mars Hydro 1000 is over this plant, and it’s at 50% and 18” above my plant…so I don’t think it would be too much light? The temp is running from around 73-78. Thanks again for giving my plants a good look :slight_smile:

Hi Bryant! Today I started the LST training on my Strawberry Cough. I’m just not sure what to do about some of the big fan leaves that are in the way of getting light to the lower branches. I’ve read about ‘tucking’ them so I tried that…but still I know at some point some of them can be removed…I have much to learn :slight_smile:

Just asking because i was under the impression that once your plants are old enough to handle it that the lights need to be turned up to 100%. Am i wrong on this? Could explain some of my issues if not.

1 Like

@Kris with sativa dominant cultivars I wouldn’t worry about trimming fan leaves until it reaches flower. It has enough nodal spacing that it has good airflow and you wouldn’t have to worry about selective defoliation until it starts flowering just to increase the flow of energy and nutrients to the buds.

1 Like

@MDBuds am I seeing this right ? is there 3 bud sites because of my fimming job?

4 Likes

@dmtscravey yes sir. You can get up to 4 tops with a perfect fim. That’s why I recommend fimming after topping if you top. You can achieve insane yields. :v:

3 Likes

Cool I have fimmed it 3 times now and I did a little cracking of the main stalk on the other plant.

3 Likes

@dmtscravey by cracking do you mean kushman chiropractic as they call it on homegrown? Break the inner herd leaving the outer intact?

2 Likes

Yes exactly that just it would not twist so I just pinched it till it smashed flat and made a slit in the stalk.

3 Likes

@dmtscravey that is an effective alternative method. I’d make sure to do that one with sterilized hands or gloves though because it can cause infections in your plant. Gotta be careful with open wounds. Pathogens attack plants just like us.

3 Likes

Well it’s a little late now!! Lol maybe next time…

2 Likes

I thought once they start to flower, it’s time to turn the lights to 100% …I’m trying to learn as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for explaining :slight_smile:

2 Likes