Potency seems less

Hello everyone! I grew gorilla glue autoflower a few months ago and you guys helped me to do that thankyou. It turned out great and gave a little to some friends and it was a huge hit. Everyone said it was some of the strongest they’ve ever smoked, 3 puffs was too much, it was crazy good!! Now, like only almost 3 months later keeping it in glass containers at about 57-61% humidity its still good but doesn’t seem nearly as potent. Why?? I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Hi @Marijuana_dan Maybe you are getting used to it or maybe your mental state is off…somedays my morning smoke only takes a little and then there are some days where it seems like 2 J’s is not enough…all from the same stock of buds…also it is normal for it to degrade over time

5 Likes

Me myself when I get done cureing I take out of jars i put jars in oven heat heat them up then pull out put lid on then stick in refrigerator to cool then store them no changes in potency

3 Likes

@Daddy1971 that’s a new way I never heard of before for storing… @Marijuana_dan you may have lost your terpene level you had at the beginning…I am learning that terpenes have a tremendous affect on your experience…its not just the THC

5 Likes

I store it in airtight Mason jars, that’s not good to do? I thought it was.

1 Like

Mason jars in a cool, dark place are fine. Burp once in a while, and use 62% pack. Sunlight is not your friend.

4 Likes

My guess is, you’re just getting used to the strain. Unless it seems dry or if it has lost flavor; in that case it probably has degraded a bit.

When I used to buy it, I’d get no more than a months supply. I wasn’t storing it as carefully as I do now. But by then it was getting dry or I’d be used to it.

I’d suggest trying to consume it in different ways. I recently made some edibles. I was never a fan of those but I had another harvest coming up and over 1/2 lb of smoke in jars that was looking like I might not get around to smoking any time soon.

I used a concentration of 1oz per cup of oil. Made some kick ass brownies and gummies and now I’m really starting to enjoy the edibles.

10 Likes

That’s for long storage and its just like canning and when you seal it it goes dead stop it doesn’t change much and when you do it you do it fast out of oven un the fridge just to cool the jar i have friends thats been doing it for years also you can use any size mason jars

3 Likes

I’m really new to this and I’m currently growing death star. So far so good. I want to make some edibles from this batch.

2 Likes

I’ve even vacuumed sealed butt like jars better

1 Like

Could you clarify your tecnique please? You take it of jar and heat it at what temperature and for how long? Thank you much.

1 Like

@Marijuana_dan

I completely concur with Currdogg. You just hit a tolerance wall. If I smoke the same stuff for 3-4 days straight it does nothing for me. It’s the main reason I grow so many flavors. I try to smoke one thing for a day and then switch it up. That keeps all the strains fresh and new as far as my tolerance is concerned. I humbly suggest shorter plants +2 or +3 more plant flavors so you can fit it all if you are indoor.

If your jar opens up and still smells good on that first whiff I would bet your potency is fine. :+1: If that first big whiff when you crack it open, after being away, smells weak or like hay you may be right about lost potency. Cool and dark it should last a good year without any drop off. Much above 70f they will bleed terps and loose smell quicker for sure. Like @retiredoldguy said the overall effect is directly tied to those terps. On warmer days I can smell the weed in my office thru the jars, colder days not so much. That’s when I throw my favorites in the fridge. Some day I may get a dedicated beer/weed fridge. Otherwise just in tubs and jars in the office. I leave the heat vent off in there and it’s always the room you need a sweatshirt in if you know what I mean? Good for storing seeds and buds. When I get behind on trimming and the whole plants are still hanging out in the garage the cold temps out there keep it from going stale and bleeding off all the terps and moisture. It’s humid here too so that helps the slowwww dryyy. But that’s another topic.

I also like Currdogg suggestion to switch it up to some edibles. They hit so differently it’s a whole other experience.

3 Likes

Just heat them long enough to get them hot once you put smoke in them put lid on put in fridge just long enough to you hear them seal that’s all they are to it @Artalert them mason or ball jars can take the heat you will be able to hear them seal

1 Like

@Artalert heat your jars on warm temp heat them to you have to use oven mit once you put smoke in set in fridge just long enough to you here them seal after sealed make sure your jars are cool to touch then you can store them in right temperature and humidity it doesn’t hurt the smoke at all my stepdad he’s 77 and he’s been doing it most of his life now that’s for long storage. there are no way that i know of storeing it will take some away that age is always against use always but you can vacuum seal it and the only thing about doing the seal it makes it into brick but it hold potency i just don’t like it being in brick form

1 Like

Thank you much, as to how long to heat it would depend on how hot the oven is…can you give me some kind of time frame and temperature? 5 minutes at 400 degrees or 6 minutes at 300 degrees? I need specifics here,thanks for your patience in answering.Am I misunderstanding something here? Are you just heating the jars without the pot in them?

1 Like

Just the jars only heat on low heat for about 5 or 10 min.then pull out put weed in jars then put lid on let cool it will pop when sealed

2 Likes

Can I ask what does this do to help preserve/store cannabis? #AlwaysLearning

1 Like

Well guys it’s pretty much same as canning you want to heat the jar just enough to get it to seal and mason jars is the best way for long storage when you heat the jar put smoke in put lid on why jar is hot as it cools it pushes the air out then pop air tight @Marijuana_dan if you don’t heat the jars there not air tight once you open the jar after sealing it it’s not air tight anymore

1 Like

I have seen vacuum sealers for jars that just pump and no heat. They look like breast milk pumps kind of.

@Daddy1971 , I have never heat sealed cannabis. I have canned and heat sealed veggies and sauces and fruit. The heating as sealing is what makes them sterile as all the air is evacuated by the heating. I would worry that heating the cannabis, even in a short time like you stated, could/would evaporate off a lot of the terpenes? Maybe comparable to just hand sealing the jars.? Does it smell strong inside while doing this? Like when we decarboxylate flower? I am not saying don’t do this, I am just asking questions and furthering the discussion @Daddy1971. How long are you storing for? Once you crack it open aren’t you are back where you started.? Do you heat seal it again?

Not to tangent but a figure a pound should cover most people for the year. How many pounds are you storing?

I have personally found that if I can make it to the next harvest, the 1yr storage in hand tightened mason jars or just Rubbermaid storage totes keeps the flower good for the year. I have never vacuumed sealed any cannabis. I only fridge my personal favorites on days it’s like a summer heat wave. The rest of the stored stash has to make due just like the wild animals. A cool basement or crawl is unfortunately not built on my home. I just need a space in the garage to fit a dedicated fridge. I don’t trust the kids not to spill milk or Hershey sauce on my buds in the house fridge. Also it’s always packed anyway.

I figure you want to roughly aim for a pound. It should get you thru the year.

52 weeks a year so:

16oz to a pound. 8/8th to the ounce.

160z x 8 (eighths) = 128 (weeks)

Then 128 weeks/52 weeks per year = 2.46 or about 2.5 eighths of weed per week for the year.

Adjust for generosity or if you burn thru more than that.

Maybe an extra oz for the holidays.
Then it’s fall again and new fresh buds.

3 Likes

Hey Mike @Mrb53004, how do you long term store there in the desert? Especially on a hotter than typical year like last? I would love your input.

1 Like